Bublifuk
MaxZero1496

Marijuana should be legalized

Bublifuk

Pro

Hello,
I reckon there have been many debates about this topic. So it should be easier to get free arguments.
Rules:
1) Semantics allowed
2) Pro advocates that Marijuana should be legalized, Con stands against
3) 5 rounds
1. Introduction/confirmation
2. each debater presents his arguments
3. rebuttals
4. rebuttals
5. ending
4)72 hours time to argue
5) 8000 characters
6)Winner is determined by quality, development, forming of arguments; semantics etc.

Good luck and I am looking forward to thrilling debate
Bublifuk
MaxZero1496

Con

I want to thank my opponent for creating this debate. This should be a singularly stimulating debate, both in intellectual and political parameters.
Bublifuk

Pro

Hello,
So I'll share my arguments despite my opponent hasn't answered me whether he wants or not restart the debate.

My arguments:

1. Health risk
Most people who assert Marijuana claim that Marijuana doesn't damage body at all and if than slightly. Moreover, they allege that Marijuana is helpful. First of all, there are no reports of people dying after overdosing marijuana. On the contrary, I don't deny that Marijuana cause minor problems but contrary to alcohol which is legalized and which cause 5 000 deaths per year is far less dangerous.[1] Many studies have shown that Marijuana is well utilized in field of pain management that it uptake receptors in brain and block pain. This can be used by people who suffer chronic incurable diseases. Furthermore, Marijuana works properly as Antiemesis (antinausea) medication and helps people from vomiting. It helps to relieve nausea in cancer and AIDS patients.

2. People deserve liberty
According to UN Declaration of Human Rights every person has right to do with his body whatever he wants. In general, If people want to hurt they body there is no reason to stop them because they are owners of they body. The government only has a right to limit those choices if the individual's actions endanger someone else. However, the government has certain right to restrain somebody to injure himself. But this doesn't apply on Marijuana because Marijuana is far less dangerous than other drugs, moreover than alcohol but this subject I will mention in following arguments.

3. Keeping marijuana illegal is expensive
Every way Government tries to impede Marijuana to spread and to restrain it cost money. Thus making Marijuana legal for instance because of the reason I mentioned above would spare the government a loads of money. In addition, if Marijuana would be legal the Government would be able to collect more money on the taxes. This turns the situation from pointless spending to useful deal of Marijuana. The money, which the government spend on restricting Marijuana and on providing aids for imprisoned dealers, are being spent without any success. According to charts,[3] more and more young people experienced smoking marijuana which proves that money spent by government for restricting marijuana is for this moment useless step.

[1]http://www.askmen.com...
[2]http://www.mjlegal.org...
[3]http://www.heretohelp.bc.ca...
MaxZero1496

Con

I would like one more time to thank my opponent for this debate. I'll cut to the chase, and counter my opponents arguments:
1. Health Risk
Marijuana in fact does hurt the body, the brain especially. Marijuana goes straight to the brain, activating setting off cellular reactions in areas called the cannabinoid receptors. This "high" leads to impaired learning and memory, a decrease in the ability to think and solve problems, the senses are dulled, and coordination and perception are impaired. A frequent abuser of marijuana very well may be operating on a much lower intellectual level than they previously were.

2. People deserve liberty
People do deserve liberty, but this is a laughable argument at best. Marijuana dealers push their product on young people, making more and more addicts. Marijuana, dulling perceptions and problem solving, can help instigate gang wars and drug related killings. A person whose common sense is shot will not make intellectual decisions, especially when rival dealers are concerned.

This argument is true, but the solution is not making marijuana legal. More severe punishments, i.e., not having to catch dealers "in the act" of selling, would make marijuana sales decrease. Even in jail, prisoners run drug businesses, simply because of paid off, or threatened guards. The prisoners outnumber the guards, and they don't hesitate to exploit that fact.

In conclusion, making marijuana illegal would be giving in to demand from punks and gang bangers. The result would be increased demand. Should we make LSD legal too? How about GHB? If liberty extends to anything anyone wants to do, by definition are government is a tyranny.

Sources: http://www.drugabuse.gov...
Bublifuk

Pro

Hello,
Thank you my opponent for his answer. I am little sad that this is our last round for we finish our debate so early.

Rebuttals

1.) Health risk
Con here distorts true facts. It's true that Marijuana goes straightway into brain attaching to brain receptors there. However, it doesn't impair learning and memory. According to study[1], "Minimal evidence of major effects of cannabis on brain structure has been reported,". On the other hand, the damage dealt by Marijuana doesn't come off it's composition but from abnormal use of it.[2] This case applies for alcohol as well if you use it more than it's enough your brain's going to by chronically damaged. Moreover, Marijuana is considered to be less addictive than Alcohol is, although alcohol isn't restricted by law.

2. People deserve liberty
I am upset of Con's argument in this case. In fact, naming my argument as "laughable" doesn't prove your truth. You should better construct your arguments more properly. First question we must ask is, "where gangs, dealers get money?". Where they get money for renting children as soldiers, or purchasing money. The answer to this is widespread known - drugs. In our case let's consider drug only as Marijuana because it will clarify my arguments. If Marijuana wouldn't be legalized, those Dealers wouldn't get money because everyone would obtain this product only from credited shops. Yes, there will be black trade but the profit from it will be negligent comparing to situation now. So, in the end, legalizing Marijuana would ease this social problem.

I am happy, that we both agreed on the case that restraining Marijuana is expensive. Every step against it requires money. Catching a dealer requires money to pay police, to pay the trial and so on. In jail, it's even worse that wardens allows prisoners to leave or to go on with they business (we all remember al Capone when he set up his business in prison).

I thank my opponent for entertaining debate, I hope I refuted all his arguments and that I deserved some votes. I proved that Marijuana is not hurtful and that it cost money all of us to keep it restraining. Legalizing Marijuana would put us forward in the level of living.

Bublifuk
[1]http://buelahman.wordpress.com...
[2]http://answers.yahoo.com...
[3]http://www.saferchoice.org...
MaxZero1496

Con

Well, here we go.
1. Health Risk
I don't believe yahoo answers is a valid source when compared to a government sponsored website on drug abuse. Marijuana effects the cannabinoid receptors, which effect short term memory, coordination, etc. (http://science.howstuffworks.com...)

2. People deserve liberty
Pro ignored my statement about making LSD legal. If people truly deserve liberty, then all drugs should be legal. However, many people don't want drugs legal, so their liberty would be encroached upon. Many people feel legalizing drugs would make the problem worse, and we can't ignore them.

3. Expense
Pro ignored my argument that tougher penalties would solve the problem. I cannot refute a nonexistent counter-example. Tough penalties would discourage dealers from actively selling their poison.

Thank you for this debate.
MaxZero1496
Posted by Skiflyer2222 4 years ago
Skiflyer2222
Cons. My cousin's gone blind because she did marijuana; it burned holes in her corneas. She'll never be able to see again because of this drug. Sure, it was her choice, but she'll NEVER. SEE. AGAIN. MINOR?! MINOR injuries?! My cousin's FRICKING BLIND.
Posted by panasyuk123 4 years ago
panasyuk123
If you use Answers.com or Wikianswers.com as recources or evidence, then that is just sad. It is one of the worst recources out there.
But i agree with Con's argument, but it is too late to vote now.
Posted by Polaris 4 years ago
Polaris
I cannot vote yet because my identity isn't confirmed yet. However I will say that while I agree with the pro position, his poor choice of sources does undermine his arguments. Pro did make a potent point about the cost of keeping marijuana illegal, and CON's rebuttal that stricter enforcement would lower costs, is not sourced nor supported by facts. Stricter enforcement has never been shown to decrease costs, and usually has the opposite effect of increasing costs. Overall though I would say CON had more convincing arguments aside from that one exception. Good debate guys.
Posted by MaxZero1496 4 years ago
MaxZero1496
Sorry I didn't see your comment. I forgot to check my email.
Posted by Bublifuk 4 years ago
Bublifuk
Oh, I see, I put it wrong. So let's either cancel this one and start new or finish this one?
I'll wait until you answer.
I am sorry for that.
Posted by Bublifuk 4 years ago
Bublifuk
Yes the first one is settling the topic and the last one is just to present few words about it.
Posted by MaxZero1496 4 years ago
MaxZero1496
You said their would be five rounds, but there are only three.