welsh12
pianoman

Marijuana should be legalized

pianoman

welsh12

Pro

I see you are against drug legalization. Well I beg to differ I will let you have the first argument.
pianoman

Con

I would first like to thank you for this debate.

Here is just one of my thoughts: If something is currently not legal, then there is good reason for that.
I know exactly what you drug legalization enthusiasts think. You think that these drugs could be used for medical reasons.
I know some people believe that these drugs could be great help, but I know that there are better options. There are many different medicines that ARE legalized and why can't we just use those? If we already have a solution there is no need to legalize these drugs.

Why legalize something that is already being illegally used and sold? If people are already illegally smoking marijuana what is the point? What would stop them anyway?
welsh12

Pro

First of all thank you for accepting this debate as it is my first on this profile.

First of all the debate specifically says and I quote "Marijuana should be legalized." So I am not talking about all drugs just Marijuana. Also Marijuana is already legal in Colorado. So to be more specific I meant it should be legal in all of the states.

Medical Marijuana is already legal so it would be pointless in arguing that topic.

So my biggest argument is going to say that why not? Marijuana does not cause harm to like any other drug. As a matter as a matter of fact many do not even consider it a drug myself included. Alcohol is more dangerous than Marijuana. The CDC (Control Disease Center) has these statistics- 37,000 annual U.S. deaths, including more than 1,400 in Colorado (http://archive.saferchoice.org...) they do not even have a chart of deaths from Marijuana. People have their rights and should be able to have something that will not harm them or anyone else. This the United States of America the place where people can do want they want. So I say let them do it.
pianoman

Con

"Marijuana does not cause harm to like any other drug."
Marijuana is a gateway drug. The majority of cocaine users started off on marijuana and things got out of control. This may not happen to everyone but it happens to enough people to make it an issue. If marijuana gets legalized in all states other illegal drugs would be used out of proportion.
Marijuana can impair learning skills, cause sleep impairment, and increase risk in schizophrenia.
Marijuana has many harmful effects on the body, so don't even act like it is harmless.
The United States is not just a place for people to do whatever they feel like. Americans have freedoms but we can't just do whatever we feel like.

http://www.drugabuse.gov...
http://www.drugfreeworld.org...
welsh12

Pro

So you said "The United States is not just a place for people to do whatever they feel like. Americans have freedoms but we can't just do whatever we feel like." First of all The United States is a place for people do whatever they feel like as long as it does not cause any harm to someone else or fatal harm to themselves. As I said before alcohol does more damage then Marijuana. That is legal so why not Marijuana.

Now I will begin my second point in this argument. The use and selling of Marijuana will tremendously boost our poor economy.
When the pilgrims first got here they had nothing and were dying just like every other civilization tried. Then they planted tobacco. The Europeans loved the pilgrims tobacco. The soil that it grew in made have something new to it. So European countries would buy them instantaneously. They begin to trade and sell trade and sell. Tobacco saved the economy. Was it healthy? Absolutely not.
Another case of this is cotton The slave-based TOBACCO ECONOMY that sustained the Chesapeake region was in deep crisis in the late-18th century and some Virginia leaders even talked about ending slavery however Eli Whitney invented the cotton gin a device that separated the seeds from cotton balls. This saved another economy.

Marijuana can save our economy it can be that plant. It has been estimated that it can raise 60 million in a year.

http://www.denverpost.com...
http://www.ushistory.org...
pianoman

Con

"The use and selling of Marijuana will tremendously boost our poor economy."
If people don't have enough money to even live in a house then how will they have any money to buy this so called economy saver? I know for a fact if Marijuana was sold it would not be cheap. I feel that it wouldn't be bought because we have more than enough problems in America right now.

I also noticed that you used a website called the denverpost. That website seems incredibly biased considering it is in Colorado, the only state that has legalized marijuana.
welsh12

Pro

First of all not everyone lives in boxes outside.
Our current top class is the middle class. You are right that Marijuana will not be cheap.

Are computers cheap.....no
Are and video games phones or other devices cheap.....no

How about cigarettes they have a tax of about 5.00 making one pack almost 7.00 and people still buy them making the government loads of money.

The point is people will still buy Marijuana. So small pot shops will start showing up everywhere.

You said I used the Denver post link. You said it was bias if you had clicked on the link you would have seen that it is both for and against Marijuana. I also used Colorado because they have the experience had I used the New York Times it would have been unreliable.

I also live in Colorado and I can see all of the small shops starting helping our local economy. If we make this national we would be very successful.

To finish off my argument I would like to say that local governments can outlaw Marijuana in their county. My personal county outlawed it and is already regretting their choice. While small business growth is booming in other counties. Ours is being setback. The schools are getting hurt as well as the police force. It is not your job to tell other people what they can do for fun or even for medical reasons. Marijuana should be legal.

I would like to thank you for accepting this debate and the best of luck to you.
pianoman

Con

I never said that everyone lives in boxes outside. Also, that is very offensive. I understand what you are saying about it helping the economy and what not but it just isn't right. Marijuana is a drug and it is harmful to the body. Have you ever thought about why marijuana is only legal in Colorado? I just feel that if the government approves drugs like marijuana, people will think it is alright to use other drugs that are illegal, such as cocaine and acid.

I also want to make not of a few things:

I not once said it was my "job" to tell other people what they can do for fun or even for medical reasons.
It makes perfect sense that you are from Colorado because the other states are clearly against it. I was just stating my opinion.

You had some decent points, but marijuana is a harmful drug that should stay illegal (In everywhere but Colorado that is.)

Thanks again for challenging me to this debate.
Posted by SaintMichael741 3 years ago
SaintMichael741
Please take some time to see my recent debate on this same topic! I'm arguing against the legalization of marijuana. I would appreciate a look and a review of my first debate on here.
Posted by Mandavb515 3 years ago
Mandavb515
Marijuana should be legalized. Marijuana has never killed anyone unlike tobacco and alcohol. It is the least harmful illegal substance and it is designed to reduce stress. It does no one any harm and makes no sense not to have it legalized
Posted by Jessigrad 3 years ago
Jessigrad
People are going to smoke whether its legal or not. Marijuana is used to help cancer patients rather then give them cancer like other things, such as tobacco products. If people are going to do this anyway i dont see why the government doesnt just legalize it an make a profit off of it to help the economy.
Posted by totenkreiger 3 years ago
totenkreiger
you can't say its clear that he is from a state that allows marijuana, i am personally from south dakota, which does not allow marijuana, and i say go for it, your last argument is invalid
Posted by vitohasastrat 3 years ago
vitohasastrat
Con's making pretty terrible arguments. Clear winner here.
Posted by totenkreiger 3 years ago
totenkreiger
i am sorry about the last double post, don't know how to remove one of them. Just because a site is from a place that is allowing the sell of marijuana dose not make it biased, I am almost positive that their would be more people their that know what they are talking about then any else for that point. welsh12 is winning so far because he has many more valid points, just like how people would buy it. alcohol is expensive and poor people and people not so well off often have alcohol, they will find a way to buy it weather their poor or not and we could easily be taxing it. with marijuana being illegal i do not see how you are getting you'r states because it would be illegal for scientists to be giving their test subjects marijuana.
Posted by totenkreiger 3 years ago
totenkreiger
with the matter of fact marijuana also helps slow down cancer, from which it if it grows stronger against and you grow stronger against you can just smoke/eat some more, unlike the other drugs they use to fight cancer, using more of those would just kill you of, just the opposite of what their exsposed to do
Posted by totenkreiger 3 years ago
totenkreiger
Vote Placed by Kwhite7298 3 years ago
Kwhite7298
welsh12pianomanTied
Reasons for voting decision: CVB from debateragent
Vote Placed by danielawesome12 3 years ago
danielawesome12
welsh12pianomanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro convinced me, Con failed to.
Vote Placed by DebaterAgent 3 years ago
DebaterAgent
welsh12pianomanTied
Reasons for voting decision: good job pro
Vote Placed by peterthepoledancingPANDA 3 years ago
peterthepoledancingPANDA
welsh12pianomanTied
Reasons for voting decision: I agree con
Vote Placed by leojm 3 years ago
leojm
welsh12pianomanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con was better at making me understand about this point. Con also had better S/G. Had better convincing argument. Both used good sources.
Vote Placed by Anon_Y_Mous 3 years ago
Anon_Y_Mous
welsh12pianomanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct goes to Pro because Con consistently insulted Colorado. Arguments are tied, because Con's were refuted and Pro's main point was 'why not?'. Sources go to Pro for obvious reasons(their sources were better).
Vote Placed by jackintosh 3 years ago
jackintosh
welsh12pianomanTied
Reasons for voting decision: You're only.argument against was basically its bad for you and will cost a lot. Easily dismissed with alcohol and cigarettes argument. One could say smoking cigarettes is a gateway drug to drinking, but that's legal.