MaxLascombe
handywandy

Marijuana should be legalized

MaxLascombe

MaxLascombe

Pro

I believe that there is no reason for marijuana to be illegal:

1. It is not addictive. Even caffeine is more addictive.

2. If it is legalized, less minors would take some. If it is made legal, marijuana would be sold in stores and to people that have an ID that clearly shows they are over 21 years of age, and dealers would go out of business.

3. If legalized, it could be taxed. This would become a huge source of income to countries, especially needed in this economy.

4. It is not a gateway drug. Although many people think this, it is not true. Dealers just pushed their clients to try harder drugs, so that their clients would get addicted and come back. If it is legalized, dealers would no longer be controlling it, and people would not be pushed to try the more dangerous drugs.

5. It has many medical benefits. It notably cures and prevents Alzheimer and Glaucoma, helps relieve stress, anxiety, depression, slows down tumor growth, and helps relieve pain for chemo/radiation therapy patients as well.

6. Same down sides as cigarettes and alcohol is worse! Although you may say it causes lung cancer, so do cigarettes, and I haven't heard of them being illegal. And the effects of alcohol on a human body are a lot more devastating than marijuana.

7. It could help solve the drug dealing problem. You may be thinking, "But only the marijuana dealers would go out of business, and most of them also deal hard drugs, so how would that solve anything?" Well, actually it would. Dealers used marijuana for first time clients. They then got their clients that came back to get harder drugs. But if we make them stop dealing marijuana, people would never end up approaching the dealer.
handywandy

Con

I'd like to start by thanking my opponent for this debate topic and I look forward to a good debate!

Rebuttals

" 1. It is not addictive. Even caffeine is more addictive."

While this is a commonly held belief, unfortunately it is inaccurate. As a former marijuana user myself, I can firmly say that after I stopped using the drug, my body wanted more. I had a hard time focusing without it and also found it hard to enjoy the simple things in life without the drug.

A study on the addictive effects of marijuana was carried out in Australia and had interesting results:

" People who tried to quit pot reported feeling moody, tense, anxious and nervous. It was also common for respondents to cite a loss of appetite, difficulty sitting still and insomnia.

Heavy users were most susceptible to finding difficulty quitting and struggling with worsened withdrawal symptoms. They were also more likely to relapse while trying to abstain.

“There is a common belief among the public that marijuana is not very addictive and so it is not a big problem,” Lukas said. “It is not enough to simply say, ‘I want to quit,’ but, instead, the person must be able to withstand the turmoil of going through withdrawal.” "[1]

" 2. If it is legalized, less minors would take some. "

There is no way for you to prove this. The charge for possessing an illegal drug is much more serious than the charge for having a legal drug, like alcohol, underage. If marijuana were to be legalized, more minors would possibly try it because they would only recieve a ticket if they were caught, rather than being arrested if it remained illegal.

A national study on high school kids and alcohol reveals that "Up to 81 percent of high school students have tried alcohol at some point" [2]

A similar study on high school kids and marijuana claims that "40 percent of high school students have tried marijuana." [3]

Now, what could cause such a large difference in the amount of minors trying alcohol as opposed to marijuana? Especially since many people, including my opponent, believe that weed is less harmful than alcohol? The answer is that alcohol is legal, meaning that getting caught underage carries a much lesser punishment than with an illegal drug. Also meaning, if marijuana were to be legalized, minors might be further tempted to try the drug.

" 3. If legalized, it could be taxed "

This is a valid statement which I do agree with. However, I do not believe the fact that an economy could profit from marijuana justifies legalizing it. The same argument could be made for crystal meth, we could make great profit from it, but legalizing it isn't worth the damages it brings.

" 4. It is not a gateway drug. "

This statement simply is not true. While my opponents' claim that drug dealers push their clients to harder drugs does hold weight, the main reason marijuana is considered a gateway drug is because of the word "dopamine"

Dopamine is a natural drug produced by the brain that gives the body and mind a false sense of euphoria. For example, when humans have sex, dopamine is created; causing them to be happy or excited. The same is true for marijuana, when people use this drug a large amount of dopamine is created in the brain. Unfortunately, as time goes on, less and less dopamine is created when the drug is used. This causes users to chase the original high they experienced, and when they are unable to reach this point with marijuana, they are more likely to move on and try a harder drug.

"5. It has many medical benefits"

Marijuana has a proven theraputic use, and is very helpful when used by patients requiring treatment from marijuana. For this reason, I have no objection to the legalization of marijuana for medical use when prescribed by a doctor. However, I do not believe people should hold the ability to self medicate themselves by purchasing it in a corner store. For example, vicodin has an immense effect in killing pain in the body, and is helpful when prescribed. However, people cannot simply purchase the drug to kill pain over the counter.

" 6. Same down sides as cigarettes and alcohol is worse! "

This statement is true, however once again it doesn't justify the legalization of marijuana. Just because alcohol has negative effects on the body, we cannot claim that all things with negative effects on the body should be legal.

" 7. It could help solve the drug dealing problem "

My opponent makes the claim " Dealers used marijuana for first time clients. " Which in some cases is true, but in many others it isn't. Some drug dealers deal exclusively in harder drugs.

And as for drug dealers who only deal marijuana, if the drug was legalized they would be forced into other illicit activity. In many cases, drug dealers do what they do because they don't have a job and they need money. If marijuana were to be legalized, they would still need a source of income. Because of our competitive job market, drug dealers with possible criminal records have hard times finding work. And with their drug of choice being now legal, they would be forced into selling other, potentially more dangerous, drugs and/or weapons.

Since I have almost run out of room, I will save my main arguments for the next round and would like to hear what my opponent has to say about my rebuttals. Thanks again to my opponent I'm enjoying the debate so far!

[1]

http://www.ibtimes.com...#

[2]

http://www.cops.usdoj.gov...

[3]

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com...

MaxLascombe

Pro

I will start by countering your points:

"While this is a commonly held belief, unfortunately it is inaccurate."
Actually, in a way, we are both right. Marijuana doesn't make any changes to your body which would physically make you addicted (sorry for not being precise), but what happens in people's brains is something else, something I can't know about since I have never experimented with marijuana.

"There is no way for you to prove this."
Actually, there is. Today, any age group can go up to a dealer, and if they have the money, they can obtain the drugs they want. But if it is made legal, and the country takes care of selling the drug, than adolescents would not be able to even get there hands on drugs.

"I do not believe the fact that an economy could profit from marijuana justifies legalizing it."
No, but it gives an extra reason for not keeping it illegal.

"...as time goes on, less and less dopamine is created when the drug is used. This causes users to chase the original high they experienced, and when they are unable to reach this point with marijuana, they are more likely to move on and try a harder drug."
I guess if my opponent knows more about drugs because he has a history with them, well, GOOD FOR HIM.

"I do not believe people should hold the ability to self medicate themselves by purchasing it in a corner store. For example, vicodin has an immense effect in killing pain in the body, and is helpful when prescribed. However, people cannot simply purchase the drug to kill pain over the counter."
Then again, vicodin overdose kills, marijuana does not.

"Just because alcohol has negative effects on the body, we cannot claim that all things with negative effects on the body should be legal."
Why is alcohol legal then?

"...in some cases is true, but in many others it isn't."
If this works in SOME cases, then I guess it still works.

Done for the round.
handywandy

Con

handywandy forfeited this round.
MaxLascombe

Pro

MaxLascombe forfeited this round.
handywandy

Con

handywandy forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by gordonjames 3 years ago
gordonjames
MaxLascombehandywandyTied
Reasons for voting decision: CON missed round 2 and 3 after saying "I will save my main arguments for the next round " I guess we missed his main argument.