Danflora
hopsen12

Marijuana should be sold legally in stores

hopsen12

Danflora

Pro

Marijuana should be made legal to sell, as Justin Trudeau legalized it, so it is probably good. It will make the black market get less money and the government more money from taxes. Also, it will discourage people as they thought it was 'cool' and against rules, yet it is now legal, so no one will do it!
hopsen12

Con

I will be the opposition in this debate, reiterating my position throughout. With my opening statement, I would like to state the following:

Marijuana is an illegal drug for good reason. The drug gives off curiosity, leading to peer pressure, leading to illegal activity, leading to addiction, leading to disconnection from the world, leading to death. Legalizing it would not make it "uncool". It would simply legalize it, and by doing that, open it to the people, letting those who didn't want to take the illegal risk, now be open to obtaining the drug.

Best of luck.
Danflora

Pro

The government, however, would gain money from taxes and will be able to gain money for libraries, for example. It is also very important for medical uses, as most doctors need a permit to prescript it, and not all doctors have one. Legalizing marijuana would make this much easier. It is also a free country, so we should be able to do whatever we would like. If it gives you joy, why not risk it?
hopsen12

Con

The government can surely gain money from this, yes. But what are the citizens gaining? The only things the citizens have to gain from this, in the area of money, is nothing; infact, they lose money. The only reason that the government is gaining money from this, is because it adds to the taxpayer's fees. Upon marijuana being legalized, an increase in tax payments will be required.
Addressing your "free country" statement. America isn't completely free. If America
was truly free, there would be no government. If there was no government, this would be a libertarian(1) country, where there truly are no boundaries. Though this sounds like a grand idea, it could easily tip us into an abyss of anarchy(2). Laws are set for a reason. Though they seem strange, they are for my safety just as well as yours.

________________________________

(1) http://dictionary.reference.com...

(2) http://dictionary.reference.com...
I ask that you look closely at the synonyms of this word.
Danflora

Pro

As my final point, I would like to say that all our taxes are beneficial to the government. We can get even better public services for our taxes, and the government can be freer. When I say we live in a free country, I did not mean to imply that everyone can do whatever they like. We should be able to make our own choices, and when we are over the majority age of 18, you are ultimately responsible for our own actions. Selling marijuana legally would let you make your own actions legally.
hopsen12

Con

This debate has been one of maturity, and I respect that. I shall close with the following:

I thank you for clearing up your most interesting point concerning potential anarchy, in that you meant something of a much lighter note. Though this has been cleared, there is still potential danger in legalization. Primarily in that of a diminishing class. If marijuana were to be legalized, this would increase government spending (a possible positive), increase taxes for citizens (as I previously stated, a most upsetting event); this is all true. However, the most dangerous part is the diminishing of the middle class. If marijuana were to actually be legalized nationwide, the middle class would fall dangerously fast. How, you ask? Allow me to enlighten you.
As the taxes for our citizens increase, their budgets decrease. This, while bothersome, is not the fatal blow. The true danger arises when budgets are decreased so much, that middle class citizens lose their homes to unpaid rent, their jobs to drugs on the job, and, in a chain reaction, are socially accepted as
lower class. Once this begins, so the domino effect will follow. This, drastically diminishing the lower class, and eroding that which once was the great United States of America.

I shall say nothing more. I wish my opponent the best of luck. Let this be settled in the hands of the people.
Posted by whiteflame 1 year ago
whiteflame
*******************************************************************
>Reported vote: torterra// Mod action: Removed<

7 points to Con. Reasons for voting decision: "Marijuana should be made legal to sell, as Justin Trudeau legalized it, so it is probably good"..... probably good, the pro shows no real reason other than its probably good

[*Reason for removal*] (1) The voter doesn't explain conduct, S&G or sources. (2) Arguments are insufficiently explained. The voter has to point to specific arguments from both sides to explain their decision.
************************************************************************
Posted by SactownBoom 1 year ago
SactownBoom
Just what we need, more taxes.
Vote Placed by zman8881 1 year ago
zman8881
Danflorahopsen12Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro doesn't use any actual research, while Con does. Con uses the point, a convincing one, that marijuana causes addiction and other issues. Pro raises the issue that it can help with some medical treatments, and it would be much easier if you could just buy some rather than having a doctor to prescribe it. They also state that it would help the government acquire more money. Pro completely disregards the health risk.
Vote Placed by Bolas 1 year ago
Bolas
Danflorahopsen12Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct along with Spelling and Grammar were tied between each side. The points for those are tied. Reasons for distributing points as I did: Con used a source to show where he got the definition of "liberty" along with "anarchy." As for being the only side to list a source, Con wins that aspect by default. Both Pro and Con made good arguments. I feel that Con did a better job with the structure of his arguments. It made them seem more convincing to me. I do still have to give Pro credit, sadly there is no option for me to offer points, but a good argument was given.
Vote Placed by SactownBoom 1 year ago
SactownBoom
Danflorahopsen12Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct was fair on both sides. Spelling and grammar was even. I felt that Con's arguments made more sense to me, as I have always felt that the "well we can tax it" part of the legalization argument was flawed. It just creates more government bureaucracy, and ultimately will just lead to the government getting bigger and more involved in our lives. The sources I also counted even, as the Round 2 "free country" scuttlebutt seems more like an honest misinterpretation.