Yawnni
xXCryptoXx

Marijuana should not be legalized in the United States

xXCryptoXx
Started: 8/1/2013 Category: Economics

Yawnni

Pro

Marijuana should not be legalized in the United States because our economy will get worse instead of getting better
xXCryptoXx

Con

I am glad my opponent clarified, supported, and made logically sound arguments for his case on how marijuana hurts our economy.

This is my first time debating Marijuana Legilization but I think I'll do fine.

Let's begin.

Marijuana is a Personal Choice

Marijuana is a personal choice and the government has no business in regulating that of which is a personal choice among humans. The government has an interest in protecting others from things they don’t want, but when a human makes a personal choice that will only affect their own body of their own consent, the government has no business in regulating or denying someone the decision of acting upon these choices.

Now, you may argue that the government should make marijuana illegal because when humans are high they may be under the influence.

Marijuana is much like alcohol. When used correctly and appropriately everything will go fine and as intended. They are only dangerous when abused. Alcohol can be completely safe, but once someone over drinks and gets drunk is the only time when alcohol ever becomes a danger.

Since marijuana is inherently non-dangerous when used correctly, the government should not have an interest in making it illegal.

To argue against this would follow under the logic of “well some people are terrible drivers, so we should punish those who do drive correctly and just ban all cars all together since they can be dangerous.”

Obviously this logic is completely flawed.

Humans should have the freedom to make a decision that will only affect them, whether it is bad for themselves or not.

Marijuana Prohibition Is Not Worth It

Instead of illegalizing marijuana and actually making its existence disappear all together, all that really happens is that marijuana goes to the black market, where it is sold to citizens illegally.

This means that despite marijuana actually being illegal, people are still going to be able to get their hands on it, and quite easily at that. Just look around you, I guarantee that you know at least a few people (if not indirectly) that do weed and are pretty open about it. Fact is, people don’t think it’s wrong, and they recognize it as a personal choice with little to no harmful effects.

Seeing this as true, the government spends 7,000,000,000 dollars funding marijuana prohibition in the United States.(1)

That is ridiculous, especially for something that shouldn’t be illegal at all.

In addition, 60-70% of all jail inmates are in there for drug possession(1); Seeing that Marijuana is the most popular and easiest to get drug this would mean a good chunk of those inmates cold be free right now.

Once you legalize marijuana you just freed up a lot of prison space for people that actually deserve to be in there. In addition, this helps solve the problem on the prison space issue that has arisen in the United States.

Even more to all of this, by legalizing marijuana you can make it government regulated and taxed, therefore adding money growth to the government.

After all, Marijuana is the single largest cash crop in America and the government should take advantage of this. (2)

All humans, through their basic dignity that they are born with, should have the right to make a decision that will inherently affect their own body, whether that choice is dangerous or not.

Marijuana directly falls under this category and unlike hardcore drugs, has far less harmful effects on the user, and far less chances of it being dangerous to other people around them.

By keeping marijuana illegal, you degrade our free will to make decisions that will only affect us, while spending a lot of money on marijuana prohibition that could be well spent elsewhere; In addition by legalizing marijuana you free up a lot of jail space which helps solve that problem.

Legalizing marijuana has many benefits for the United States and should therefore be legal.

(1) http://www.changetheclimate.org...

(2) http://www.drugscience.org...

Yawnni

Pro

First of all, I would like to thank my opponent for accepting this debate. I will first answer my opponents arguments then I'll add other arguments.
Personal Choice
My opponent meantioned that the Governement has no bussiness basicallly in the choice a person makes. the government has all the right to be in our bussiness especially if it affects the population as a whole. like my opponent also said that the governement looks out for us, well that's what their trying to do, and by not legalizing it they will do a good job at trying to protect us. My opponent also stated that marijuana is like alcohol in that if you use it correctly everything will go right. Let's be serious and mature about this, when in the world has anything gone right when alcohol has been used? marijuana is like alcohol in that everyone will abuse it, it will become a habit like that of when someone begins to drink.
ONTO THE NEXT ARGUMENT
Marijuana Prohibition is not worth it
I fully agree with this argument so therefore i conceid it.
My opponent stated that people will be degraded from their free will. This is just bananas. People will not be degraded. they will still have all of the rights in the world, yes some of the things that they do aren't legal but no one is stopping them from doing it, they just have to know that there will be conssiquences if cought.
ONTO MY ARGUMENTS
Government will not benefit.

Because marijuana is a plant, it could grow in a lot of places and therefore can be planted just about anywhere. Meaning that the governement in fact will not be able to tax it, meaning that the government wouldn't be making money from the marijuana.
Kills Bio-diversity
Because marijuana is a plant, it can grown anywhere with the right soil and the perfect amount of exposure. once marijuana is legalized growers are going to begin to expand and can start taking the homes of animals and the homes of other plants and trees, which kills trees and will begin to kill the food sources of the animals and this is bad.
Economy
I'd just like to state that my opponent never went into depth will the economy and how marijuanna will crash it.
If marijuana is legalized people will begin to abuse it and never want to go to work because they would rather be high off of their minds (I'm fiating the next part) people will spend all of their money on buying marijuana and will go poor. The crime rate will increase because people will want more marjuana hence, would need money to get it, and so we will eventually die off of diseases and other inhumane illnesses.
^I might have exaggereated a lot. i apologize for that.

http://healthpsych.psy.vanderbilt.edu...
xXCryptoXx

Con

xXCryptoXx forfeited this round.
Yawnni

Pro

First of i would just like to clarify that by the comments that my opponent made it seem as if he isn't taking this debate seriously. meaning that because my opponent didn't argue against marijuana being legalized, he has conceited all of his arguments and has agreed that marijuana shouldn't be legalized.
MARIJUANA KILLS BIO-DIVERSITY
Like i had stated in the previous round, marijuana kills bio-diversity in which can kill forest and other natural reserves, killing the animal population's shelter and food resources and killing animals kills the animal pyramid which will eventually start to kill people off.
THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T BENEFIT
Marijuana will be able to grow in a lot of places and therefore cannot be taxed. and extend my fiat that crime will increase because of the want of more marijuana, and this will not benefit the economy because it will crash instead of rise.
I would also like to state that it wouldn't be fair to bring up new arguments because this is my last speech and it would be unfair, thank you all for you time and I hope you have a wonderful day!
xXCryptoXx

Con

I’m going to go ahead and respond to this now before I accidently forfeit the final round.

“because my opponent didn't argue against marijuana being legalized, he has conceited all of his arguments and has agreed that marijuana shouldn't be legalized.”

Lulz no. If I had forfeited the final round then yes, I would have conceded all of your points, but I don’t plan on going that far so this debate will go one as usual. I won’t be presenting any new arguments; I will only spend this round rebutting my opponent’s arguments.

Personal Choice Argument Unfazed

“the government has all the right to be in our bussiness especially if it affects the population as a whole.”

I agree with this statement, however, inherently marijuana simply doesn’t affect anyone but the user meaning the government has no business in illegalizing marijuana.

“My opponent also stated that marijuana is like alcohol in that if you use it correctly everything will go right. Let's be serious and mature about this, when in the world has anything gone right when alcohol has been used? marijuana is like alcohol in that everyone will abuse it, it will become a habit like that of when someone begins to drink.”

I could give you a plethora of examples where people drink alcohol and everything goes alright, that’s because unlike how you make it seem, there are responsible, mature adults out there.

Also, correlation is not causation. You talk about how as soon as marijuana is legalized everyone will get their hands on it and abuse it, but you show absolutely no logically reasoning for this. In fact, the whole point is downright illogical. It also doesn’t matter if someone will abuse it, if inherently that something is only dangerous when abused. We don’t ban cards because there are bad or irresponsible drivers out there, and we don’t ban alcohol because there are a few irresponsible people that abuse it. In the same, we shouldn’t ban marijuana because of its potential to be abused, because like alcohol and cars, it is inherently safe when correctly used.

My opponent drops my entire argument on marijuana prohibition.

“My opponent stated that people will be degraded from their free will. This is just bananas. People will not be degraded.”

If an individual is unjustly punished for something they should have the freedom to do, their free will and human dignity are degraded.

I concede on my opponent’s point on how the government will not benefit from marijuana legalization, not that the entire point really matters anyways. I think people would prefer the government not tax it.

My main point has to do with the individual’s right to make a decision that inherently only affects themselves, even if that decision is dangerous. By conceding that the government doesn’t benefit doesn’t help my opponent’s arguments, but only doesn’t help my own arguments.

Kills Bio-diversity

“Because marijuana is a plant, it can grown anywhere with the right soil and the perfect amount of exposure. once marijuana is legalized growers are going to begin to expand and can start taking the homes of animals and the homes of other plants and trees, which kills trees and will begin to kill the food sources of the animals and this is bad.”

First off, correlation is not causation. I mean, this is pretty far-fetched, and you didn’t even give sources or anything to back it up. Even so, the rights of the individual are more important than some trees and animals. Anyways nature is nature; stuff like this has been going on for years. Nature will continue to evolve with it like it always has. Also, isn’t there some law that for every tree you cut down you have to plant a seed to grow another one? And who says that these farmers are going to necessarily expand into these areas? They already have acres of land. They can also buy off other land for farm use. There are too many variables to your argument for it to be legitimate.

Economy

For goodness sake man! Are you serious?!

“If marijuana is legalized people will begin to abuse it and never want to go to work because they would rather be high off of their minds”

Seems legit. Seriously now, there is no logic behind this. No one is going to quit their job because of marijuana. If anything, they would want to keep their job so they can continue to buy it.

(I'm fiating the next part) people will spend all of their money on buying marijuana and will go poor.

No. This assumes that every person who smokes marijuana is some irresponsible and immature person who can’t control themselves. This is simply not true. This also assumes that marijuana is some highly addictive drug, which it is not.

The crime rate will increase because people will want more marjuana hence, would need money to get it, and so we will eventually die off of diseases and other inhumane illnesses.”

Correlation is not causation.

Like, I can’t even take this argument seriously. There is absolutely no way to respond to it.

Every one of your premises are illogical and you simply assume this and this will happen with absolutely no proper reasoning behind it!

None of these arguments my opponent just presented should be taken into account at all whatsoever, because my opponent did not back up his arguments at all with facts, sources, or anything that weren’t his own flawed and illogical thoughts.

My opponent fails to rebut my argument on personal choice, which was the main argument on this entire debate. In fact, this argument was so important that in comparison all other arguments really meant nothing. If the government has no proper reason to make marijuana illegal, then it shouldn’t be illegal. I showed through my argument on personal choice that the government has no proper reason to make marijuana illegal. My opponent drops my entire argument on what a failure marijuana prohibition is, and that was probably the second most important argument in the debate. My opponent had nothing backing up his argument on bio-diversity, and my opponent gave absolutely no logical reasons to believe his arguments on how marijuana legalization will affect the economy.

Posted by xXCryptoXx 3 years ago
xXCryptoXx
I feel like such a rebel.
Posted by xXCryptoXx 3 years ago
xXCryptoXx
That's the first round I have ever forfeited in my time on DDO.
Posted by xXCryptoXx 3 years ago
xXCryptoXx
Whoops. I need to stop procrastinating.
Vote Placed by MassiveDump 3 years ago
MassiveDump
YawnnixXCryptoXxTied
Reasons for voting decision: I disagree with bench's RFD, the word "idiotic" being used to describe the arguments, but sources aside, I agree with his vote. Conduct is taken from Con for the forfeiture, obviously. Spelling is taken from Pro, however, because he spelled "concede" five different ways; never correctly. Here comes the argument vote: Pro managed to deplete his Ethos entirely by calling a contention "bananas", comparing weed to alcohol, and ultimately using the SlenderBat avatar (though this does not influence the vote). But here's the kicker: He conceded the most important contention: that prohibition is not worth it, essentially forfeiting the debate. Next time, even if Pro agrees, he should defend every contention presented.
Vote Placed by imabench 3 years ago
imabench
YawnnixXCryptoXxTied
Reasons for voting decision: Although Con did forfeit a round, pro's arguments were very idiotic and very unfounded while cons were rational and backed by evidence. Conduct to the pro, but arguments and sources to the con, along with spelling and grammar since pro had several misspellings and mistakes in his arguments.