Dawg_Face
brandonianempire

Marijuana vs. Alcohol. Which one should REALLY be illegal?

Dawg_Face

Pro

I am out to prove that marijuana, an illegal drug in most countries, is not nearly as harmful to oneself or the general population as alcohol is.

My opponent will take the con/against side of the argument in that alcohol is not nearly as harmful to oneself or the general population as marijuana is.

We will use the first round (this one) for acceptance of the debate and greetings. Second and third rounds will be for points and rebuttals with the fourth round being used for final figures and conclusions.

Any takers that feel strongly enough bout this subject are welcome to join but I would prefer someone that actually believes alcohol is better than marijuana as I do not want a half hearted debate.
brandonianempire

Con

Thank you Dawg_face for starting this debate! I'm sure it will be very intriguing and I'm sure it will clear the air for some of our viewers with the question "Why is alcohol legal as opposed to Marijuana?"

I accept your terms, although you must understand, my schedule can get pretty cramped so if there is a round in which I can't meet the time restriction, I am very sorry :(

For clarity:

I will argue that Marijuana is more harmful to the Human body when used responsibly than alcohol when it is consumed responsibly. Obviously, if we were to go outside of the lines and think about the use of both substances irresponsibly, the effects would be generally the same: Death.

Define "responsibly" if you would like, but I am assuming that responsibly would mean that you are consuming the substance regularly, in a controlled environment, and for alcohol, under the legal limit. Because Marijuana does not have a legal limit, we should use this site to regulate what is "responsible marijuana use" http://norml.org...

I believe we can both agree that the definition of harmful is putting the persons health in danger. Elevated harm would indicate a combination of: higher level of damage AND/OR specific organ of infliction. For example, I would say harm to Vital organs is far worse than harm to extremities like the fingers or toes.

Exact data should be cited and all data/speculation based on data (e.g. chance percentages) should be acknowledged.

That said, any additions or adjustments to the clarified measures are welcome. Thank You and Good Luck!!
Dawg_Face

Pro

I would like to thank my opponent, Brandonianempire, for accepting this challenge and look forward to a good debate.

*Clarification*

For defining "Responsibly", I think we can both assume that it would entail being either stoned or drunk enough to feel the effects but still have a good time without blacking out, passing out, etc...
If acceptable we can use a 200 lb. person as our test subject, which would require 5 drinks to reach a BAC of .08 or legally drunk. (http://dui.drivinglaws.org...)
We can also use, (Again, if acceptable) the "High" example given here, (http://www.weedsthatplease.com...) of 4-8 hits of marijuana as it is the "mid" level of the example given.

Since I failed to clarify any of these points during my initial round, I will gladly forfeit the rest of this round and let my opponent get down to business.

Good luck.
brandonianempire

Con

brandonianempire forfeited this round.
Dawg_Face

Pro

I forfeit this round due to the fact that my opponent told me before hand that he might not make his opening argument and I spaced it off and posted anyways. We will move everything down one round and take it from there. I don't feel that I'll need more than one round to explain my case anyways.

To my opponent, Brandonian, I apologize for responding so quickly, I forgot which debate this was even though you told me this would happen. If I could figure out how to forfeit this entire debate to start a new one, I would. Please post any and all arguments as you see fit in the following round and I will rebuttal with the time allotted.
brandonianempire

Con

brandonianempire forfeited this round.
Dawg_Face

Pro

Dawg_Face forfeited this round.
brandonianempire

Con

brandonianempire forfeited this round.
Posted by Dekorato 7 months ago
Dekorato
Alcohol sucks marijuana - good.
Posted by Dawg_Face 6 years ago
Dawg_Face
NO LICENSING TRENCHMOUTH! D@mn you.... lmao. You're just fishing for people to read your debate! lol.
Posted by TrenchMouth 6 years ago
TrenchMouth
I think they should both be legal, but that, as adults, we should be required to have a "Liquor & Marijuana License"! (See my debate)
Posted by baggins 6 years ago
baggins
Interesting debate.

I think both should be illegal!
Posted by brandonianempire 6 years ago
brandonianempire
also, I didn't mention that we should assume that the alcohol use is occurring at a legal age
Posted by Dawg_Face 6 years ago
Dawg_Face
@ Brandon - Looking forward to it. Take your time. I don't even start researching until my opponents have posted.
Posted by brandonianempire 6 years ago
brandonianempire
Also, in defense of Dawg, the title of this debate "Which should be legal" includes MANY different ways to evaluate the issue. He has put the topic under the Health category to show that we will argue the topic from a health-based standpoint.
Posted by brandonianempire 6 years ago
brandonianempire
illegal* last word error..
Posted by brandonianempire 6 years ago
brandonianempire
@Geo, You are completely right. I actually forgot about the title after I accepted the debate. I see what dawg was doing with the title, though. It appears that Marijuana is only illegal because it has a negative stigma attached concerning it's effect on immediate and long-term health. Therefore, the conclusion of this debate would show, in that context, which is less healthy and therefore better capable of being legal.
Posted by GeoLaureate8 6 years ago
GeoLaureate8
@Dawg_Face

Your resolution says which SHOULD be illegal. Yes, of course we don't live in a truly free country but this question is about SHOULD a certain substance be legal in a free country. Yes, it should be legal and so should every other drug.

Not to mention, all the prohibition drug laws are unconstitutional so even from a legal standpoint, all these substances should be legal.

@brandonianempire

I was going based on the resolution which made the primary issue about which substances should be legal or not. If it's not about legality the resolution should state "Alcohol or Marijuana: Which is more harmful."

@OreEle

True, and the role of government in the US does not include being a dictatorship that suspends civil liberties. Telling people what they can and can't eat is clearly a violation of civil liberty.