mccoy060793
Deathbeforedishonour

Marijuana

Deathbeforedishonour

mccoy060793

Con

I am against Marijuana. I feel that society is too under the influence with drugs that we miss the important topics. Throughout this debate I will express my reasons why Marijuana should remain illegal and I hope my opponent provides his or her feedback as to why they think that Marijuana should in-fact be legalized and than be able to link an argument to my standing point and I will do the same. Thank you to my opponent.

My first point is Marijuana users mostly teenagers drive around under the influence and cause a threat to many members of society. But before we get into this we have to be aware of the effects of Marijuana.

http://www.drugabuse.gov...

"Not surprisingly, marijuana intoxication can cause distorted perceptions, impaired coordination, difficulty with thinking and problem solving, and problems with learning and memory. Research has shown that, in chronic users, marijuana's adverse impact on learning and memory can last for days or weeks after the acute effects of the drug wear off.2 As a result, someone who smokes marijuana every day may be functioning at a suboptimal intellectual level all of the time."

This is a basic view of what marijuana does to the body and mind. A main point from that paragraph that I want to bring up is the part where it states "distorted perceptions" Now if a person is driving and there perception is distorted wouldn't it be dangerous for a person who is under the influence to get behind the wheel?

http://www.drugabuse.gov...

"One study found that about 34 percent of motor vehicle crash victims admitted to a Maryland trauma center tested positive for 'drugs only' "

34 percent is a tremendous amount of car crashes in relation to drugs and it definitely is a threat to sober drivers on the road. Seeing these results can be fatal to anyone on the road even the person using illicit drugs.

The article also states: "Studies conducted in several localities have found that approximately 4 to 14 percent of drivers who sustained injury or died in traffic accidents tested positive for delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the active ingredient in marijuana."

The fear I have of marijuana in this statement is the amount of people dying because people want to get a quick superficial high or happiness and than in the end pay severe consequences that unfortunately result in death. There should be no reason why these percents should even exist if the abusers can't have a good time or need this drug than they shouldn't put other people at risk.

Marijuana can affect the mind and body and it should remain illegal because not only does it do harmful effects to yourself it causes harm to others around. Not just physical either it causes emotional trauma to find out if a friend or family member has acquired a habit with drugs.

This is only one point that I have on the topic of marijuana and I hope that my opponent sparks up new information and their own personal insight to keep this debate going once again I thank you.
Deathbeforedishonour

Pro

~~Rebuttels~~

I will start by stating that my opponent has used only biased sources that are hardley even credible.

Now I will state that my opponent puts a lot of enphesis on teens driving under the influence. However, stuff like this can't be resolved by merely keeping in illegal especially since it is the very fact that it is illegal that makes it easier for teens to get in the first place. A study conducted earlier this year states that teen marijuana use is at an all time high (even though it is illegal), while alcohol usage among teens is very low [1]. This comes to a question? Why is this occuring? Well, for one thing alcohol is legal and regulated, while weed is just banned. By banning weed the governmnet inadvertantly paves the way for even more users. Now why is this? It is because marijuana is even more available then alcohol. Users don't have to be 21 to buy marijuana because the dealers don't care what age the buyer is. We saw this very same thing happen when alcohol was illegal. All of the sudden there was a huge demand for alcohol, and even though the polic made busts it was still getting in the hands of not only adults but also children [2]. From the look of current and past events it would be better to just legalize and regulate it so it will stay out of the hands of teens who would use it without any knowledge of the consequences.

~~My Argument~~

Contention 1: Self-Ownership

This is the #1 reason why marijuana should be legalized. People simply have a right to do whatever they want with their own bodies. It has long been the excuse that 'marijuana is harmful to the human body and that it will kill it's users and thats why it should be illegal' however it is my fervent belief along with the rest of the marijuana legalization supporters that it is none of the governments bussiness as to what individual people put into their bodies. According to the very princibles of which our nation was founded the people of the U.S.A. have the unalienable rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness [3]. If people want to pursue happiness by getting high in the privacy of their own homes then it is unconstitutional for the government to deny them them that.

Contention 2: Economic Gain

The war on drugs is a war that will never end. It is also a war that costs a very large amount of tax dollars. It costed $23.44 billion to fund the war on drugs last year alone [4]. Now imagine this amount increasing year by year. And then imagine the better stuff we could be putting that money too. We could fund better schools, we could pay off the national debt, we could build an even better America. The war on drugs is a complete failure just like it's predicesser before it (alcohol prohibition). It is costing us a huge amount of money and isn't even working. We spent that much money last year and now that we are in a nnew year it is quite apparent that the use of drugs including marijuana is increasing. I would be far better to legalize, regulate, and tax the cash crop. Marijuana is the largest cash crop in the U.S. right now (even though it's illiegal) [5]. So, if we legalize it we make it a more lagitamet substance and save our selves billions of dollars. If we regulate it we can keep it out of the hands of minors just like we are doing with alcohol now, and if we tax it we gain extra money that can go to better things like for example our huge national debt. Legalizing 'Mary Jane' would do us better then keeping it banned.

This is only a few of my arguments. I am only doing two right now since we have four more rounds left. I will now let my opponent give his rebuttels and whatnot.

[1]http://www.addictiontreatmentmagazine.com...

[2]http://en.wikipedia.org...

[3]http://en.wikipedia.org...

[4]http://actionamerica.org...

[5]http://abcnews.go.com...
mccoy060793

Con

mccoy060793 forfeited this round.
Deathbeforedishonour

Pro

Arguments extended.
mccoy060793

Con

mccoy060793 forfeited this round.
Deathbeforedishonour

Pro

Sad...I wanted to debate this topic.. :'(
mccoy060793

Con

mccoy060793 forfeited this round.
mccoy060793

Con

mccoy060793 forfeited this round.
Posted by Deathbeforedishonour 4 years ago
Deathbeforedishonour
Sorry I didn't add this into my 1st round so I will just put it right here.

The resolution will be: Marijuana should be legal in the U.S.
Posted by Zaradi 4 years ago
Zaradi
Using a half-assed argument with biased sources for warrants.
Can someone please n00bsnipe this debate?
Vote Placed by 16kadams 4 years ago
16kadams
mccoy060793DeathbeforedishonourTied
Vote Placed by TUF 4 years ago
TUF
mccoy060793DeathbeforedishonourTied
Reasons for voting decision: Full points to pro for forfeits