mightbenihilism
DebateGirl221

Mario is un-Buddhist

mightbenihilism

mightbenihilism

Pro

Now listen here, I am 29 years old. I was there when the Super Nintendo first came out, and I got me my own system real quick. I had that first cartridge of Super Mario Bros, and I beat it in about a year of trying. I know a lot of you younger folk don't remember all that because you didn't exist, but I sure do. I'm an old school Mario fan. I've been through the N64 Mario, too. I know my stuff.

And being an authority on the Mario, I am convinced today of this one thing: Mario is Un-Buddhist. That's right I said it: Mario is Un-Buddhist. Super Bario Moes is not a Buddhist game, and it is against Buddhist principles. Whether you are Theravada, Mahayana, Vajrayana, whatever, you can't deny that the Mario isn't a Buddhist game, never was a Buddhist game, and never will be a Buddhist game. If you say Mario is a Buddhist, I say Mario is a bad Buddhist, and you can't be telling me otherwise.

Here's the facts:

1. Buddhism teaches compassion (karuna) for all sentient beings. Mario, however, is a little Italian with a Napolean complex. His girlfriend Peach is a tall Swedish lass, and he feels uncomfortable that he's shorter than her. To prove his Latin machismo, he's takes it out on harmless creatures like Balloon Goombas, Big Boos, Bouncelisks and even Sonic the Hedgedog. What dude needs to do is start wearing high-heels like Prince does. Ain't no shame in it. Tom Cruise does it too.

2. Buddhism forbids the practice of black magic. Mario, however, clearly disregards this teaching because he'll ingest psychadelic mushrooms to make himself bigger, eat glowing, entheogenic flowers so he can shoot fire out his navel (or so we hope), and wear dead racoon pelts in order to fly on some kind of devilish Vuelo de Brujas. He is also a member of the Elks Lodge, an infamous and "all white" secret society of male Wiccans (also called Bronies). Buddhism doesn't stand for that nonsense and neither do I. Shame on you, Mario, you little booger.

3. Buddhism teaches that dinosaurs went extinct before human beings but little fathead Mario clearly believes they lived alongside humans and could be ridden like horses (as in the case of Yoshi). Mario demonstrates he is more of a young-earth Creationist, like Ken Ham, and if it was up to Mario, he'd replace the science books of this great nation with Flintstone cartoons. This isn't acceptable and clearly shows Mario is an un-Buddhist piece of bull-pucky.

4. Buddhism teaches that the ideal state is one of assured tranquility called Nirvana, free from all false conceptions of "I", resting all desires in the eternal sunshine of the spotless mind. But in the Super Mario Bros film (1993), Mario was played by Bob Hoskins, "an English actor known for playing Cockneys and gangsters."

6. The best current actor to play Buddha would be Jason Statham, whereas the best current actor to play Mario would be the fat Val Kilmer.

In summation, all of these points prove conclusively that Mario could not be a good Buddhist and is much unlike Tiger Woods, Richard Gere, Uma Thurman and Tina Turner. A pox on the Mario and a pox on all who play his games!
DebateGirl221

Con

I accept my opponent's challenge and would like to wish him luck.

I am going to kick this off with one simple statement: It has never been confirmed that Mario is a Buddhist!
Ok I agree that Mario does a few things that go against the teachings of Lord Buddha, but for all we know he may not even believe in those teachings.

Point number 2: It is said that gaming makes us curious, energized, focused and optimistic, all of which are similar to the virtues we (as Buddhists) associate with being enlightened, and enlightenment. And super Mario, in a way, guides us with these virtues, and could help us find enlightenment.

So, in conclusion, even though it has never been confirmed that Mario is a Buddhist, there are some things he does that are pretty pro-Buddhist. I would once again like to wish my opponent luck, and I look forward to his rebuttal.
mightbenihilism

Pro

Before getting into my refutation, I must know how well the Con is versed in the lore of Mario. I do not need to know too much, just a few facts. Have you played Mario games on the following systems (list all that apply please):

NES
GAMEBOY
SUPER NES
SEGA GENESIS
GAME GEAR
NINTENDO 64
SEGA SATURN
GAME BOY ADVANCE
GAMECUBE
SEGA DREAM CAST
X-BOX
SEGA LEVITICUS
WII
WOO-WII
WII-U
SEGA CORINTHIANS
VIRTUAL BOY (extra points for this one)

No need to list individual games. The reason I ask is because Mario has indeed become more Buddhist over the years, and I fear unless one has a grasp of Mario in his early days, it may skew perception. Often times people settle down as they get older, like Jack Nicholson.

Now to address the Con's rebuttal:

1. The Con writes "It has never been confirmed that Mario is a Buddhist!"

To this I reply, Mario is both a Japanese national and a plumber, though of Sicilian ancestry. Therefore, he is either Buddhist, Catholic, or a Catholic-Buddhist. The Con must concede this point, and note that all my arguments against Mario Buddhisticity can also be lodged against his Catholicism (didn't see that one comeing, did you?!)

2. The Con writes, "It is said that gaming makes us curious, energized, focused and optimistic, all of which are similar to the virtues we (as Buddhists) associate with being enlightened, and enlightenment. And super Mario, in a way, guides us with these virtues, and could help us find enlightenment."

I must say I did not consider this angle.

However, the Con is ignoring the frustration that results from playing games in the Mario franchise. To cite a personal example, here are my normal symptoms during a game of the Mario franchise:

I. Swearing
II. Cursing
III. Condemn all of existence
IV. Blaspheme the Norse Gods
V. Generalizing all of Japan, Italy and Norway as "buffoons"
VI. Blame Obama
VII. Hit myself
VIII. Hit others
VIIII. Break costly items
VIIIII. Lose sleep
VIIIIII. Lose integrity
VIIIIIII. Lose my emotional center
VIIIIIIII. Insult Mario (even if I am playing as a different character)

The Con, I hope, is not seriously suggesting that these are beneficial to Buddhist practices, are they? And if this is true of most Mario-franchise-afficianados, I would say that Mario does more harm than good, as a whole, which is clearly against the words of Buddha.

But I must ask the Con to also address the points I raised in my initial argument:

a. Do you agree that Mario's typical Sicilian penchant for violent outbursts demonstrates a lack of Buddhist equanimity?
b. Do you agree that Mario's typical Sicilian use of the black arts is contrary to the Buddhist faith?
c. Do you agree that Mario's typical Sicilian creationist stance clearly denies the Buddhist tenant of universal evolution?
d. Do you agree that Bob Hoskins played Mario in Super Mario Bros (1993)?
9. Do you agree that Val Kilmer has plumped up a bit?

I will await your reponse on this, but I must point out that if the assertions I am making are correct, then would this not outweigh the curiosity, energy, focus and optimism that Buddhist enlightenment bestows?
DebateGirl221

Con

DebateGirl221 forfeited this round.
mightbenihilism

Pro

The Con has forfeited the round, but I must say that I have had an epiphany recently, and the entire premise of this debate is unsound, at this point. So I am conceding.

The truth is, I was angry at Mario. I wanted to shame him, publicly (puglicly), and so I childishly and ignorantly slandered him in a public forum. I was hurt, wounded, and feeling like I needed revenge on the hours of pain he caused me, so I did what normal ignorant people do: I accused him of unBuddhishesness. For this, I apologize to Mario, and I apologize to the good people at DDO.

Make no mistake --- Mario is, in fact, a good Buddhist. He is sincere, kind, compassionate and possesses an inner calm and strength that most mortals will never attain. His seeming "violence" can be understood in the context of the Mahayana Buddhist teaching on upaya, or skillful means. Even the Bodhisattva Manjushri carries a sword --- yet far from being a material sword to cut flesh, it is a sword of wisdom (prajna), used to cut down delusions. When it is realized that Goombas, Growmeba's, Grunts, Guardian Shroobs, Gubis, Gulpits and Greapers are all symbolic of the network of our false imaginations, then the true visage of Mario as the awakened Sicilian Buddha becomes clear and bright --- like the full moon freeing itself from passing clouds.

Mario, like Manjushri, jumps upon the heads of ignorance and delusion, casting their pixeled visages to the netherworld. He shoots the fireballs of wisdom out of his belly-button, knocking down the invasive clouds of wayward thoughts. He dons the raccoon ears of compassion, allowing him to soar in the skies of uttermost tranquility. I view Mario as one of the nirmanakaya, or manifestation bodies of the cosmic Buddha, designed to lead all sentient beings to unsurpassed, perfect awakening. He causes the turtles of arrogance, pride and hate to retreat back into their shells after he jumps on them, then he hits them again, making them fly back and forth, destroying all other enemies into their path. And sometimes this method can also destroy those blocks that are in your way --- just be sure to jump over them when they come back, or they'll knock you out.

While eating Cheerios at the landramat, I had a vision of Mario seated upon a lotus blossom of infinite splendor, with five kinds of light shining out of his forehead: blue, red, teal, egg-shell white and golden brown (sort of like a waffle that came just out of the toaster). He opened his mouth and out flew a shiny gargoyle, glimmering like a field of bedewed grass, caressed by pure, morning light. Mario was being fanned by Luigi and that little Mushroom guy, and Peach was behind him with a silvery umbrella, keeping the sun off his purty little head. Beneath his feet was Val Kilmer dressed as Browser, bound by iron chains and guarded by two fat pugs. The pugs were so fat, in fact, that at first I thought they were just big boulders, but then I saw their little smooshed faces and I knew: fat pugs!

However, it is never a good idea to overfeed your animals. Animals can be subject to diabetes, high blood pressure/cholesterol and heart trouble due to obesity, just like people. They do not have a good sense of proportion in their eating habits, and therefore it is our duty to make sure they eat healthily. Sometimes we need to harden our hearts against them when they sit in front of us, wining and begging for one of our fettucini alfredo noodles. It is for their own good.
DebateGirl221

Con

DebateGirl221 forfeited this round.
Posted by mightbenihilism 2 years ago
mightbenihilism
What I really hate is when you're playing Mario, and then your nose itches, and you can't scratch it because you're doing something that requires both hands (like flying), so you just sit there, your nose itching worse and worse by the minute, hoping the suffering is worth it. Then you die.
Posted by mightbenihilism 2 years ago
mightbenihilism
Martio is definitely not a Buddhist.
Posted by devin.cooper64 2 years ago
devin.cooper64
This is hilarious
Posted by Hanspete 2 years ago
Hanspete
umm okay didn't realize he was buddhist
Posted by mightbenihilism 2 years ago
mightbenihilism
Mario is worst Buddhist ever.
Posted by Atmas 2 years ago
Atmas
Well, Mario is un Buddhist is a catchy title. Sure to make people go, "wha?".
Posted by Squirrelnuts57 2 years ago
Squirrelnuts57
It was never said that Mario IS a Budhist
Posted by JCDenton12345 2 years ago
JCDenton12345
my guess is that you are Buddhist
Posted by mightbenihilism 2 years ago
mightbenihilism
It's sad that this debate has 97 views as of right now, and was set up 22 hours ago, whereas the great debate I am having with Atmas on the subjet of Extraterrestrial life was set up over a day ago, and has only 57 views. :(
Vote Placed by Tweka 2 years ago
Tweka
mightbenihilismDebateGirl221Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Arguments are not refuted by Con
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
mightbenihilismDebateGirl221Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture