Mario vs Sonic

MadShaza has forfeited round #2.
Started: 9/7/2016 Category: Games
Updated: 1 month ago Status: Debating Period

Mario is a mental child because he kills his own people

First of all, I would like to thank my opponent for starting the debate and I hope it will be a fun few rounds.

I am assuming I am taking the side of Mario in this debate because of how my opponent seems to have reacted to him originally saying,

"Mario is a mental child because he kills his own people."

First of all, that is quite a bold claim by my opponent and I would like to see some evidence of this as none was presented in the first round.

As I can not debate his claim as I do not know what my opponent is referring to, my argument for why Mario is better in round one will have two points. Success of the franchise, quality of the games,

First of all, the Mario franchise is the number one game franchise of all time, So far, Mario has 529.882 million sales worldwide. That is more than double the sales in the franchise of Sonic the Hedgehog, with it's worldwide sales only totaling 235 million, making it the number four video game franchise of all time.

Secondly, I would like to talk about the quality of the games coming out of each of the franchise. The Mario franchise has been consistently releasing quality game after quality game. If you look at the scores for Mario games on Metacritic, it is abundantly apparent that Mario has consistently been a quality franchise with it's worst games not even sinking below 50 points out of 100 on the ranking scale. However, if one were to look at the scores for the Sonic the Hedgehog games, you will not see much of the same. Sonic the Hedgehog has eight games in below 50/100, with the lowest score being Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric at a 32/100. Not only will you find that Sonic has the worst game, but you will find that all of the games the Mario franchise has put out with scores under 75 are spin off titles, such as Dance Dance Revolution: Mario Mix. However, returning to the Sonic franchise, you will see that many games under 50 are main titles such as Sonic Adventure and even Sonic the Hedgehog.

Sonic source:
Mario source:

I eagerly await my opponent's rebuttal.
Posted by PowerPikachu21 1 month ago
I won't accept the debate, but Mario isn't a "mental child" because 1) he hasn't been shown to be any form of a sociopath (at least in the recent years) and 2) He's over 21 years old as a person in his games (not his actual years as a character). In my opinion, Sonic is for speed running and Mario is meant to be slower paced. But Sonic has really good songs in popular opinion, and Mario's music is good too. (Well, let's not talk about newer installments of the Sonic series vs the newest Mario game [Sonic Boom vs Super Mario Maker.])