Brendan21
badger

Marjuana should be legal

Brendan21

Pro

Marijuana should be legalized for recreational use for any person over the age of 18. Weed, as its called, has been used for many purposes all through out history, even George Washington had hemp is his personal garden. Marijuana should not have been made illegal and it should not continue being illegal.

I will make my main arguements in later rounds. I look forward to a good debate.
badger

Con

Right, first I must say that I'm only debating this for a laugh and that I agree 100% with my opponent. I do, however, believe that there would be some negative effects to legalising weed and I will explain these below.

1. Legalising weed would take much needed profit from the lowly drug dealer who has put him/herself at risk all this time to get me what I want. If, like me, you're a bit of a pothead, then you owe these people as much as I do. If it were not for these people our days would be a lot less colourful; movies, games and music would be a lot less enthralling; food wouldn't taste as good and our girlfriends would be a lot more annoying. And this is how you would repay them? You should be ashamed of yourself.

2. Not only would legalising weed take profit from the lowly drug dealer, but it would give it to the wealthy. Without a doubt if weed was legalised wealthy famers would immeadiately start growing the cash crop and putting it on the market at prices so low that they couldn't be competed it. Is this really what you want? To steal from the poor and give to the rich? That's a bit backwards, isn't it? You make me sick.

Also, the penalties for being caught in possession of marijuana are nothing to get worked up about. I have been caught on several occasions and I still hold a clean record. Fair enough, only one of those times was when I was over 18, but I was let off anyway.

They did try and scare me into ratting first, but when I refused their threats were shown to be empty. This is another way in which having marijuana as an illegal substance could benefit society. We all know that there are much more dangerous drugs than weed out there and much more dangerous dealers than those that sell weed. Having weed as an illegal substance is a point of infiltration for the police into this dangerous underground world.

I said I'd go with something new...

lol
Brendan21

Pro

1) Drug dealers are not the friendly neighborhood drug dealers, they are the "I'm only interested in that money" drug dealers. If they want to stay in business, they can start growing, or running hemp shops.

2) clearly my opponent does not understand how the good stuff is grown. It can't be grown outside on a farm by some farmer that grows corn and grain. It is grown using hydroponics, a system that doesn't use dirt but instead only water and minerals.

3) Your last agruement seems a bit unfair to the people wanting to smoke some harmless weed. Just because of other drugs, weed needs to be illegal also? Why not make tobacco and alcohol illgal also?
badger

Con

"Drug dealers are not the friendly neighborhood drug dealers, they are the "I'm only interested in that money" drug dealers."

How do you know their intentions? And even if some of them are only interested in money, what do you think these peope who are obviously criminally inclined are going to do for it when selling weed goes down the drain for them? Dealing weed is a victimless crime. What if they move on to selling heroin, or robbing people? It's good to have a harmless option for criminals.

"If they want to stay in business, they can start growing, or running hemp shops."

My second argument shows how this would not be an option.

"clearly my opponent does not understand how the good stuff is grown. It can't be grown outside on a farm by some farmer that grows corn and grain. It is grown using hydroponics, a system that doesn't use dirt but instead only water and minerals."

Clearly my opponent hasn't got the first clue what he's talking about. He claims that plants don't grow in the ground and obviously doesn't know what a farmer is.

"Your last agruement seems a bit unfair to the people wanting to smoke some harmless weed. Just because of other drugs, weed needs to be illegal also?

Is it not even more unfair on people who just want to take some of the other harmless, higher classed drugs? These people suffer far greater punishments if they get caught, which shows that it is primarily these people that our tax euros are going towards getting rid of. As I've already shown, having marijuana as an illegal substance could help us find these people quicker, which might alleviate the tax quicker.

"Why not make tobacco and alcohol illgal also?"

Why not make everything legal?
Brendan21

Pro

You are dead wrong about the way good marijuana is grown. Here is a link to hydroponics. http://en.wikipedia.org...

1) Once weed is legal for recreational use, people will begin to buy it from hemp shops and other designated places for it to be sold. These places will be just opening and thus need employees. Drug dealers could hop on board.

2) Yes, the crappy weed is grown in dirt and soil, but as my link above shows, the dank, as its called, is not.

3) Marijuana causes no major health problems and is far less dangerous than alcohol.
badger

Con

My apologies. When you said "the good stuff", I thought you were just talking about weed in general. Surely you can forgive me for that?

There will be no hemp shops. If the sale of marijuana is legalised it will just become another thing that you've to ask for over the counter in shops and off licences. Also, some products of the plant might even make good alternatives for things we already use in everyday life, and might even replace them, possibly taking from the number of jobs to be had instead of increasing them. The only people certain to profit are the already wealthy farmers.

"2) Yes, the crappy weed is grown in dirt and soil, but as my link above shows, the dank, as its called, is not."

I've probably never smoked weed grown by that method and I love it dearly.

"3) Marijuana causes no major health problems and is far less dangerous than alcohol."

Nor does heroin apparently: http://www.debate.org...

That was fun.
Posted by malayangpilipina 6 years ago
malayangpilipina
Yeah. I agree. It should be legal. The government's just so closed-minded. Marijuana benefits the society. It should be legal!
Posted by badger 6 years ago
badger
i never know if someone telling me i'm funny is complimentary or not, but thanks anyway.
Posted by Brendan21 6 years ago
Brendan21
for me*
Posted by Brendan21 6 years ago
Brendan21
then vote more me
Posted by Rakiela 6 years ago
Rakiela
I COULDNT AGREE ANYMORE, MARIWANAS ABSOLUTELY HARMLESS, CIGGERATES MORE HARMFULL ! i agree .
Posted by feverish 6 years ago
feverish
Funny debate.
Posted by innomen 6 years ago
innomen
Why do i get the impression badger's heart isn't in this one.
Posted by Brendan21 6 years ago
Brendan21
forget george washington. he is outta the arguement. ffs
Posted by I-am-a-panda 6 years ago
I-am-a-panda
No no no Brendan, you're logic is 'George Washington did it. He's n hero. Ergo, it's good'. Which has been demonstrated as faulty by me and SAC8. Fail.
Posted by badger 6 years ago
badger
sunday's a fairly boring day.
Vote Placed by whatledge 6 years ago
whatledge
Brendan21badgerTied