CivilRightsKnight
Ariesx

Marriage Equality

CivilRightsKnight

Pro

Defining marriage as strictly between a man and a women is unconstitutional. Marriage is a Constitutional right that is guaranteed under the 9th amendment which states, "The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people". This means that marriage is not a right that is specifically stated in the Constitution but is rather implied, and cannot be taken away. This also means that the government cannot contort any of these rights in a way that will deny or harm anyone, which they are doing so by trying to define the right to marry in a way that bans it from large groups of people. By saying that gay marriage goes against the Bible and therefore it must be made illegal goes against the principle of Church and State being separated.

It is wrong to say that being gay is unnatural. For something to be natural it must occur naturally in nature. Being homosexual boils down to your genetics and psychology. Your genes and brain are not made artificially, and the way you are born is all a natural process; we did not create gay people in a factory they just happen to have slightly different genetics or psychology as straight people do.

"By allowing gays the right to marry doesn't mean that all who oppose such practices will be forced into such unions, part of freedom is the tolerance of other people"s beliefs -Peter H. Gilmore"
Ariesx

Con

I accept the challenge on gay marriage. I do believe that it is wrong to say that being gay is unnatural, but I will be proving why it should stay illegal, and why what my opponent is saying is just logical and not supported by real evidence.
Like yourself, I too was convinced that gay marriage should be legal, but I hope that this evidence that I will be showing can change my opponent's mind.

Statistics show that the gay population in America estimates to 9 million people. This is the size of Sweden itself. Like anybody normal, this fact peeked my interests in why the gay population is rising in America. This is also growing with the acceptance of gay marriage. Results show that from government surveys in the 1990s that 145,000 gay couples. There were 600,000 gay couples in 2000. Now there are 9 million gays that have came out of the closet everyday. The argument is that for some reason natural gay genes have peeked in 2010.

Tests-Two large studies were conducted on homosexual respondents to explain the origins of their desires and behaviors- how they "got that way". It was conducted in the 1940s, and involved 1700 homosexuals. The second in the 70s involved 979 homosexuals. We gradually see that in 1983 35% of homosexuals said their gayness was hereditary. Now, overtime we see that this statement has been gradually accepted, because it looks more logical. But, the institutes took a closer look at the patterns we have seen in gay people.
homosexuality (1940s and 1970)
j25;early homosexual experience(s) with adults and/or peers - 22%
j25;homosexual friends/ around homosexuals a lot - 16%
j25;poor relationship with mother - 15%
j25;unusual development (was a sissy, artistic, couldn't get along with own sex, tom-boy, et cetera) - 15%
j25;poor relationship with father - 14%
j25;heterosexual partners unavailable - 12%
j25;social ineptitude - 9%
j25;born that way - 9%
We can see here that upbringing is a large factor to why these people have homosexual behavior. Empirically, all of these things count in homosexual behavior.

Religious Influences- Kinsey also reported "less homosexual activity among the devout groups whether they be Protestant, Catholic, or Jewish, and Islam have all not had these kinds of situation. The 1983 FRI study has found those raised in secular homes are 4 times likely to be found gay. Religious groups are less apt to have this kind of behavior because they believe it is satanic and immoral to society. So, the resolution stated marriage equality. Proud to be gay behavior is rising. A truly secular nation is also rising. I negate this because in my first contention I stated rise in gay population. This is threatening for 3 reasons.
1. Less reproduction in 9 million people(size of Sweden and rising)
2. Threat to religion
3. Threat to straight behavior
If you like me value reproduction of the human race, religion used in RIGHT PURPOSES, and straight behavior, than you would agree with my stance on gay marriage. It should not only be illegal, but it should be ruled as wrong and immoral. 9 million gay people is the size of Sweden. Since my evidence has proved empirically the notion of the fact that gay marriage is about condition, than we should help improve conditions.
Thank you for letting me accept this challenge.
CivilRightsKnight

Pro

CivilRightsKnight forfeited this round.
Ariesx

Con

Ariesx forfeited this round.
CivilRightsKnight

Pro

Correlation does not equal causation; and being gay is affected by nature NOT nurture according to the APA. According to your statistics, gay people often grow up living in terrible environments which in turn will cause them to be gay. However it is the other way around for it is being gay that will in turn create may social problems early or later in life. Gallup published an article that showed approximately how much of the worlds population was gay and found that about 1/5 of the worlds population was gay, 16% of men identified being gay while 21% of women identified as being lesbian. If the environment in which you grow up did in fact cause you to change in sexual preference then I should have been gay along time ago.

The worlds population has been increasing steadily. In 1950 the worlds population was at about 2.5 billion, then in 2005 the worlds population was at about 5 billion, as of 2014 the worlds population is at 7.5 billion, and is expected to hit 9 billion by 2025. If being gay being gay did threaten the population then there would be a great decline in the total population however this is not the case; the population still is increasing rapidly and will continue to grow rapidly even with the rising percentage of the homosexual population, which just shows that gays don't pose any real threat to the reproduction of the human race. Also it is no surprise that kids raised in a secular home were found to be 4 times more likely to be gay, that is because they don't have to fear the abuse and social stigma that would otherwise come with being gay.

Homosexuality is not the main cause for a decline in religiosity; there are many bigger reasons for the decline. A few of them are
(1) sex abuse scandals involving the churches, which made a lot of people loose their faith, it did me
(2) advancements in science/technology that contradict the teachings of the church
(3)new education system. Before the 2000's many religious ideologies were taught in school such as creationism, however they don't do this in many schools now a days which has led to a drop in the number of religious people.
(4) Even if gay people do threaten the church, there are still MANY more straight people than gay people they can still convert. Gays do not pose a serious threat to religion, as I had stated before (1) sex scandals (2) science and technology (3) new education system are the 3 bigger reasons for the decline in religion.

Marriage should not be just between a man and a women. Blacks are animals, Women are inferior to men, Mentally ill people are possessed and works of the demon are all traditional thoughts that have been around since the establishment of the Constitution. However these are no longer the ways of thinking for as time rolls on so does our acceptance of people and their difference, civil rights. In a statistical publishing by Gallup shows that in 1987 only 37% of the people agreed with gay rights, in 2005 acceptance grew to 46%, and now in 2014 acceptance has grown to over 50%. This just shows how what we define as traditional/moral or not is always changing; slavery used to be an American tradition long time ago but that has changed as well. So simply saying that "it's the ways it always been" we can't continue to grow and evolve.

You put up a great debate and I hope to debate with you again sometime. These are my final arguments and now it is your turn to propose your final challanges.
Ariesx

Con

Ariesx forfeited this round.
Posted by CivilRightsKnight 2 years ago
CivilRightsKnight
Sorry about the forfeit I didn't have the time to produce my argument due to school. I will publish my next argument as soon as possible. Thank you for understanding.
Posted by dsjpk5 2 years ago
dsjpk5
"Everybody does it." Is a horrible argument. It's irrelevant. And we could just as easily equalize outcomes by eliminating all marriage specific benefits. Getting free stuff is not what a marriage is about.
Posted by CivilRightsKnight 2 years ago
CivilRightsKnight
Yes, I understand what you are saying, that anyone can use the 9nth amendment to justify any activity. However marriage has become such a wide practice and it is something that almost everyone does later on in their lives. It also comes with legal benefits such as family and medical leave, joint taxes, immigration law which allows family members who are living in a foreign country a visa to come and visit their spouse or family; this all means that marriage is a practice that is recognized by the federal court system. Because it has been legally recognized by court system and is practiced by most people it qualifies it to be identified as an implied right which also protects people from having their rights taken away by the government which they are doing so by putting a ban to marry on gay people. are doing so by putting a ban to it.
Posted by dsjpk5 2 years ago
dsjpk5
Like I said, since when has marriage ever been a right? Simply claiming it falls under that doesn't make it so. I could claim any activity is legal then by claiming the 9th amendment to be a catch all. Your argument is baseless.
Posted by CivilRightsKnight 2 years ago
CivilRightsKnight
Like I said, Marriage would fall under the 9nth amendment which talks about implied rights, rights that aren't stated in the Constitution but are still protected and granted to the citizens; the 9nth amendemnt also protects you from the government taking away your rights. James Madison put this amendment into the Constitution because if all of the basic human rights wern't mentionted they would still be protected.
Posted by dsjpk5 2 years ago
dsjpk5
Since when was marriage ever a right? There's no scientific proof there's a gay gene