Marriage does not show love.

My point of view, marriage does not show love. At all. This should be a short and simple debate with arguments only reaching 1,000 characters.

No trolling
No swearing
No inappropriate content

First round acceptance.

I would like to thank my opponent for the interesting debate topic. Good luck.

Thank you for accepting my challenge. May the best of both win.

Let me refine 'Mariage'
1.'The formal union of a man and a woman, typically recognized by law, by which they become husband and wife.' I will now explain why marriage does not truly show love.

The average divorce rate of people in america is approximately 41%. 5.1% of people 35 - 39 years old in america have gotten a divorce. But 36.6% of people 20-24 get a divorce. That is my main issue.

When a woman is involved in a relationship (especially when shes in her 20's or 30's), she just has so much pressure on getting married. If your sure that you are going to be with your partner forever, why do you need to get married like in this specific time? Cant you just wait until your like in your 40's or 50's? Especially underage girls such as 17,18, etc. It would be cute getting married when your around your 50's or 60's.

Personally, i have alot of respect for people who are together for about 10 years. And have still not tied the knot. To me, its important to have a commitment. You dont need a ring, you dont need a dress or any of that, and you certainly can have a commitment without all of that. Many girls have no idea about love because its not about flowers, your hair AND your makeup. Its about the person you love that your going to have a commitment with. Especially people who dont have jobs, and are throwing this big wedding. You are going to end up in debt. Why cant you wait a few years to at least afford it?

I also have a problem with PARENTS paying for your wedding. If its my choice, and who i get to marry, its all on me and the person i love. No one else! Plus marriage is just another way to blackmail and lawyers getting even MORE money.

There is a tradition of having a bachelor/ette party before you get married. Im talking about the parties where you are allowed to cheat on your partner. You've been engaged for 2 years, been with that person for 5 and two days before the wedding you're gonna cheat on them? Whats the point? 'Your last day of freedom'. Its not! Your last day of freedom was 5 years ago for christ sakes...

a. the social institution under which a man and woman establish their decision to live as husband and wife by legal commitments, religious ceremonies, etc.

b. a similar institution involving partners of the samegender: gay marriage.

2. the state, condition, or relationship of being married;wedlock: a happy marriage.
3. the legal or religious ceremony that formalizes the decision oftwo people to live as a married couple, including the accompanying social festivities: to officiate at a marriage.
4. a relationship in which two people have pledged themselves to each other in the manner of a husband and wife, without legal sanction: trial marriage.
5. any close or intimate association or union: the marriage ofwords and music in a hit song [1]

1. a profoundly tender, passionate affection for another person.
2. feeling of warm personal attachment or deep affection, as for a parent, child, or friend.
3. sexual passion or desire.
4. a person toward whom love is felt; beloved person; sweetheart.
5. (used in direct address as a term of endearment, affection,or the like): Would you like to see a movie, love?[2]

I think just by evaluating the two definitions above we can see that my opponent’s contention, that marriage does not show love, is false.

Certainly love is not a requirement of being married, and you can indeed be married to someone you don’t love; in many cases, marriage does symbolize the union, or love between one another. The definition of marriage states above, the decision to live as husband and wife; pledged themselves to each other.

Then love as defined states: a profoundly tender, passionate affection. In effect a significant fondness, care or regard for someone. All of these things should certainly be expected when marrying another person. To marry someone for whom you have no regard, no fondness, or caring, or love, is contrary to the purpose of marriage.

Certainly bachelor and bachelorette parties are as unique as the people who plan them. Though I don’t think either is mandatorily inclusive of any infidelity. As bachelorette parties and infidelity are not mutually inclusive, I hardly think this argument can be used in support of my opponents claim.

Further, as love and marriage are not mutually exclusive, and according to my opponent’s statistics, a majority of people who get married stay married - 59%, according to my opponent. I would contend that more often than not, marriage does show love. My opponent may have been correct had she stated marriage does not always show love, but I believe, as stated above, it does more oftan than not.

CarlaJMena forfeited this round.

I have addressed my opponents claims; she has forfieted the final round without rebuttal of my arguements.

My position and arguements are clear, I urge you vote con.
Posted by CarlaJMena 4 years ago
It seems like my opponent has ignored many of my points, as the rates of divorces being higher with youngs than elders. And the parents paying for the wedding..