InVinoVeritas
frozen_eclipse

Marriage should be legally recognized by the US government

frozen_eclipse

InVinoVeritas

Con

Resolution: Marriage should be legally recognized by the US government.

I will attempt to nullify the resolution. The opponent will attempt to affirm it.

First round is for acceptance.

frozen_eclipse

Pro

I accept. I hope to have a very intresting debate.
InVinoVeritas

Con

1.
Marriage is a tradition that is steeped in religion and mysticism.

It was upheld by religious institutions from generation to generation. The United States considers itself a secular state; therefore it should associate itself with the tradition of marriage.

2.
Marriage, holistically, does not benefit the government.

One could argue that it produces offspring... But not necessarily. Unmarried people can do that, too. Anyway, people like the elderly and infertile get married, as well as gays now, in certain areas, such as NY and VT.

3.
Marriage can be maintained without government intervention.

If for the sake of culture, marriage can be accepted... But not regulated and recognized by the government.
frozen_eclipse

Pro

I will first define some terms and will then address my opponents ideals, Since I don't have enough characters left I will post my contentions next round.

Marriage-
the social institution under which a man and woman establish their decision to live as husband and wife by legal commitments, religious ceremonies,

Legal- permitted by law; lawful.

1. Marriage is a tradition that is steeped in religion and mysticism.

con says that marriage is steeped in religion.

steeped
-to soak in water or other liquid, as to soften, cleanse, or extract some constituent:

Based on that definition im not to sure what con is attempting to say here but judging from the context of the sentence I think he is trying to say that marriage is based on religion.

Marriage is not based on religion. "Marriage was common if not universal throughout Europe, North Africa and the Middle East centuries before the Hebrews or Christians made any impression on the world stage. The Egyptians, Greeks and Roman classical civilizations all had notions of marriage and weddings long before they had any dealings with the ancient Hebrews, who were of course very much into polygamous marriages, courtesans and masters taking sexual advantage of their female slaves so hardly the greatest advertisements for gods monopoly on morality, monogamy and concerns with sexual abstinence and propriety."......http://mwillett.org...

As we clearly see here marriage is not based on religion. Marriage is definitely embraced by religion though. My opponent also makes a claim that marriages are also based on mysticism. This claim is also false. According to Stanford mysticism comes from a Greek word witch means to conceal witch means secretive. Marriages are not secretive. When people marry they invite multitudes of people to observe. If marriage was secretive then no one would be invited. Also since
marriage is recognized by the government there is no possible way for government recognized marriages to be secret since our government documents it.......http://plato.stanford.edu...

"The United States considers itself a secular state; therefore it should associate itself with the tradition of marriage."

This doesnt make sense. Your saying since the u.s is neutral in religious affairs then it should be associated with the often religious tradition of marriages?

I will say this the state should be notified of marriages. Not for religious reasons but because someone who may not be religious may want to get married. Government officials may marry the couples instead of some religious person. So they can have a fair marriage if they don't have religious views.

2. Marriage, holistically, does not benefit the government.

I don't really see how this contention supports your case but I will state that marriages are not made to benefit the government, but is needed to be recognized by he government so that couples can legally obtain marital rights. How else could they obtain them? The state needs to know if your married to give you your rights. So marriages benefit the couples being married.

3.Marriage can be maintained without government interaction.
What would happen if the state didnt get involved with marriages? More People would be getting married left and right and would be getting divorced more than ever. Why? Well since there arnt legal ramifications that could happen and since there isnt a long waiting period then people would be more likely to jump into marriages without understanding the strong commitment of the symbolism of marriage. Thus there more at risk of marrying someone they don't want to be with forever. State intervention is sort of like a back up system to further solidify the seriousness of marriage. The law saying if you cheat on your spouse it is a crime is beneficial. It is a added bonus to prove the seriousness of marriage commitment. Also if the state wasn't involved then people could just lie and say there married and marry others. Our legal system protects against this. Polygamy is illegal. If government finds out you will go to jail. This fact enhances the realization of the seriousness of he commitment of marriage.

InVinoVeritas

Con

InVinoVeritas forfeited this round.
frozen_eclipse

Pro

It seems my opponent forfeited. As promised I will now post my contentions.

Marriage is something that is ideally meant to be a permanent union between two loving people. As I will soon explain government recognition of who is married is beneficial in numerous ways. Government recognition of marriages are necessary for couples to receive marital rights and benefits. Government recognition also works to prevent polygamy. For these reasons this resolution is logical to be affirms with a pro vote. I will now explain my case in depth.

1. Government recognition of marriages are necessary for couples to receive marital rights and benefits.

Those who are married receive certain benefits. These benefits are only ensured to the couple if they properly register with the government so that the government can give and recognize the couples to give then their rights. If we didnt register with the government then how would marital rights be recognized to be respected by law? Some benefits offered are Tax Benefits,Estate planning benefits, Government benefits like social security....etc.. Below I will list some more benefits of government recognized marriage benefits in depth. For a complete list of marriage benefit please visit this link.......http://www.nolo.com...

Survivor Benefits
  • Spouses of a veteran who died in or out of military service are eligible to receive survivor benefits. The spouse must not have remarried and she and the veteran must not have had a divorce or annulment. The amount a spouse receives in survivor benefits depends on the type of benefits the veteran received and the disability percentage rating he had. If the veteran received compensation, then the spouse can collect survivor benefits, and any other household income she has does not decrease how much she can receive. Yet, if the veteran received a pension, the amount the spouse can receive is based upon his income.

Educational Benefits
  • A veteran is eligible to attend a post-secondary educational institution and receive money from the VA to help her do so. However, if the veteran does not want to seek further education but her spouse does, she can have her educational benefits transferred to her spouse. The spouse must stay enrolled at a full time status, and proof of enrollment is required every semester to continue receiving the educational benefits.

CHAMPVA
  • The VA Civilian Health and Medical Program (CHAMPVA) allows the dependents of veterans to receive medical care. The amount of healthcare the veteran's family can receive depends on the family's finances and qualifications. Some veterans' families may receive all their health care for free, whereas others might have to make a co-payment to receive treatment. The spouse must be ineligible for Medicare or TRICARE to qualify for CHAMPVA.

Marriage & VA Benefits | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com...

All of these rights are given and recognized by the government. The only way these rights are guaranteed to couples is if the government legally recognized marriages to verify eligibility of these given rights. Without government recognition there would be no way to fairly deliver and guarantee marital rights because the government would not know who's married.

2. Government recognition works to prevent polygamy.

Since marriages are recognized by the government this lessens the chances of polygamy. Once the state sees that your already married they will either not allow another marriage and or will prosecute you and put you in jail because polygamy is a crime and so is infidelity. Government recognition of marriage further works to ensure the commitment of marriage. Without government help. Many people would be getting many many times while still having additional spouses. The government helps in a sense to try to prevent this.

As we can see marriage should be legally recognized to fairly deliver and guarantee distribution of marital rights. How is the government going to give benefits of couples if they don't know who the couples are. Registering legally with the government ensures that couples are recognized to receive their benefits. We also see that legal marriages help to prevent polygamy. It is a crime and so is infidelity. The government is not going to let a person have two or more marriage mates because it is a crime. So legally registering your marriage with the government is necessary in a sense to further secure your marriage. In this case I believe I have proven the necessity of government involvement in the leucotomy of marriages. For these reasons I believe a pro ballad is necessary. I Thank all for their time and intrest in this debate.

InVinoVeritas

Con

InVinoVeritas forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by Stephen_Hawkins 4 years ago
Stephen_Hawkins
InVinoVeritasfrozen_eclipseTied
Vote Placed by 16kadams 4 years ago
16kadams
InVinoVeritasfrozen_eclipseTied