lord_megatron
lwittman

Marvel (Pro) vs DC (Con) movies

Started: 5/9/2016 Category: Movies

lord_megatron

Con

While I used to be a Marvel fan, after the many flops of Marvel I have lost my faith and find DC much better, willing to challenge any fanboy. All marvel has are box office figures, which indicates the majority prefers marvel. But the majority is foolish, there isn't much I can do about that.
lwittman

Pro

I'll defend Marvel on this one, may the better franchise win. Are we just doing the comics, or everything related?
lord_megatron

Con

The resolution says marvel vs dc movies, and I haven't read the comics, so its just the movies.
Marvel's formula has been to never let any one of the protagonist characters (except quicksilver) to die (that is why the Avengers are so many), while DC has taken the brave step of killing off a few heroes and villains. DC has far better storyline and depth than Marvel. Marvel's Avengers are nothing but a hitman squad, but Batman actually stands for something. He has ideals. While you may say Captain America has ideals, it is clear he lost them because in civil war he ditched all his ideals just to save his friend from being killed. And the rest of the team just know about blasting and shooting.
lwittman

Pro

Marvel more than likely won't kill of any protagonist until part two of infinite war, they plan on having 60+ characters appearing in that, so they are trying to save as many as they can. How can you say DC has more depth than Marvel?!? The MCU has been tied together in all of the movies since the first Iron man through S.H.I.E.L.D. With the exception of Batman vs. Superman how often does the depth of DC go past the protagonist of that specific movie. People want to see a hitman squad, that's why the MCU has been so much more successful than DC who ruined any chance of keeping depth to their movies in Justice League considering they just killed Superman AGAIN. Batman's ideals go as far as don't kill. Marvel characters save lives by killing psychotic villains from time to time, what's the Jokers kill count at right now? Captain America didn't ditch his ideals, he though that it was wrong he would have to take orders from the U.N. in case the Avenger's needed to help and they wouldn't let them.
lord_megatron

Con

Captain America lost his ideals when he went to any lengths to save Bucky, got his team captured (albeit for a short time), pounded on Stark 2 on 1 despite Stark being justified in his revenge and left his role as a soldier who serves the people's government. Pro clearly agree Marvel's a hitman squad (People want to see a hitman squad, that's why the MCU has been so much more successful than DC) and lacks any sort of depth.
As for the Majority argument, atheists are a very low majority, but that doesn't mean they can't be right. That way, the majority of the world is Christian, doesn't mean that Christ can be the only God. Also, the majority are men in this world, doesn't mean a man's opinion is better than a woman's. Joker survival was necessary to prolong the movie and help Batman face a trial to test his ideals. And he sticked to them.
To be honest, the only DC movies I have watched is the Dark Knight Rises, Green Lantern and Batman Vs Superman, I am at a disadvantage here. But I have watched many of the Marvel's movies, and their quality is going low. Avengers Age of Ultron and Iron Man 3 confirm that. DC had its flop with BvS, but Civil war wasn't much better for me either.
lwittman

Pro

If anything Iron man lost his ideals when he opted for revenge. The members that followed Captain America all knew the risks, and we're all willing to take them. As far as depth is concerned, even Deadpool had the floating S.H.I.E.L.D. ship thing in it (I can't remember what it's called) The MCU allows for this to happen because they can keep getting more and more depth to their movies. Did you even see the clip after the credits in Age of Ultron, when Thanos grabs the infinite gauntlet? Another example is the so called "mutant gene" which successfully was incorporated into the MCU through Deadpool, probably leading to an epic mix up of the two (Avengers, X-men) in years to come. You've just openly admitted that if they had killed Joker, Batman would have been over because he doesn't believe in killing. Would it have been better to kill Joker and save hundreds of lives, or let him live because Batman has ideals that cause the deaths of so many people. If this we're realistic I would much rather have any member of the MCU defending my life at any point, regardless of the civilian casualties and collateral damage. They get it done.
Posted by GlassRose926 6 months ago
GlassRose926
Civil War was NOT bad and it didn't disappoint fans like DC did with Batman v Superman.
Posted by Ragnar 6 months ago
Ragnar
Posted by Ragnar 6 months ago
Ragnar
And related to the comics less so than the movies (unless Hulk indeed kills Superman as he did in the comics)... https://www.youtube.com...
Posted by Ragnar 6 months ago
Ragnar
Clearer contentions and standards of measurement would improve this significantly.

Plus when saying a character stands for something, please state what that something is. When a character is faced with a dilemma and gives up their ideals, please state why that makes the character less interesting (both pro and con fell into this).

Key advice for instigator: Your R1 seems to imply that success is bad, you should follow up on why it's bad.
Key advice for contender: When R1 is not stated as acceptance only, you can control the framing of the arguments by diving in. In this case your opponent had an argument laid out, which you could have at least itemized why it was fallacious.
Posted by lwittman 6 months ago
lwittman
Anyways leave a list of the DC movies you plan on watching so that we can be on even playing field, I haven't seen any of them.
Posted by lord_megatron 6 months ago
lord_megatron
LOL rofl
Posted by lwittman 6 months ago
lwittman
Long enough for me to not give a sh1t about my psychotic ex-girlfriend, so give it another 1 and a half
Posted by lord_megatron 6 months ago
lord_megatron
Oh wait, you said longer for civil war??!!! Go and die it was of 2 hours 30 minutes how much longer do you want it to be
Posted by lord_megatron 6 months ago
lord_megatron
I will watch them DC movies and then do a debate of 5 rounds
Posted by lwittman 6 months ago
lwittman
I personally wanted it to go on a little bit longer.