derkcloud
MaestroEvans

Marvel is better than DC

MaestroEvans

derkcloud

Pro

I say that Marvel Comics is much better and more creative than DC Comics. I will post my reasoning for saying so in round 2. There are only 2 rounds, so each side will simply put their argument, and they shall be voted on. Best of luck to my opponent.
MaestroEvans

Con

Being a DC fan myself and figuring that this soon-to-be very short debate will be directed by personal opinions, I have to say that this debate will be different in an interesting way. Seeing that my opponent has dictated that he will offer his statement in affirmation of the resolution in round two, I shall follow suit and save this round for acceptance only. I will also refrain from directly refuting my opponent's arguments unless my statement naturally refutes that of my opponent's.

Now then, tell me why you believe that Marvel is much better and more creative than DC. Do this and I will tell you why DC is where it's at.
derkcloud

Pro

Well, I'd like to start by pointing out is that I think Marvel is much more original on some key elements. One is names. I think DC overuses "man" in their names. Batman, Superman, Aquaman, Animal Man, Wonder Woman. Another element is characterization. I think Marvel characters are much more dynamic. Wolverine, for example. Most of the main DC superheroes (with the exception of Bruce Wayne, who I won't deny is a very dynamic character) are very everyday nice guys in general, they don't really change much. I think Marvel tends to focus only on the Superhero, and not the human behind the hero. Superman calls most of the shots. Marvel, however, focuses on the personal issues and conflicting ideologies that exist between the X-Men, Avengers, etc.
The last point I'd like to make is I believe that Marvel has better backstories. A lot of the time, DC story-lines are centered around saving the world. Marvel focuses more on more darker, personal issues. Again, Wolverine serves as a good example. That concludes the reasons I believe Marvel is the better of the two. I thank my opponent for taking the time to participate in this debate with me, and again, best of luck in the voting.
MaestroEvans

Con

DC owns a series of socially iconic superheroes

One thing we really need to consider when comparing the greatness of one entity or organization to another is the social and cultural impact it had on a nation. We (or at least some of us), consider it when comparing the greatness of Ludwig Van Beethoven with his monumental musical impact to that of Justin Bieber’s. DC evidently wins over Marvel in the areas of social influence, as I will explain below.

Look! Up in the Sky!

Superman, the caped, spandex-clad crusader, was the first surviving superhero and the definitive archetype of the superhero [1]. Superman inspired many of the clichés used by many of the superheroes further along in the superhero timeline:

• Spandex: a traditional hallmark of a superhero worn by Spiderman, Giant Man, Wolverine, you name it.
  • Sigil: a crest unique to each hero that is worn on the outfit. Consider Spiderman's sigil.
  • The Cape
  • The alter ego

Superman evolved in the 1900s as a symbol for hope in America's struggle against economic collapse, crime, and the impending war, WWII; he was the fighter for "truth, justice, and the American way [2]." Although Captain America was and still is also a symbol of liberty and justice [3], he is, evidently, not the first. Although Marvel has a bunch of notable superheroes, none were as iconic as DC's Superman.

Wonder Woman, Feministic Icon

Wonder woman is not only one of the most enduring and popular comic book characters in a span of more than six decades, she is the American culture’s most iconic feminist model, created to bring Amazonian ideals of love, peace, and sexual equality to “a world torn by the hatred of men.” She revolutionized the “all boys club” ideals of the comic book field started in the 1930s by serving as a counter to the dominant masculinity that appeared greater among the scores of superheroes that existed during the time; only a few costumed heroines existed prior to Wonder Woman in her first issue and even fewer were featured, such as the Black Widow, Invisible Scarlet O’Neil, The Woman in Red, and Miss Fury. In short, she changed the overall perception of women in comic books as helpless lesser damsels in distress or villainous to heroines up to par with superheroes.

“Not even girls want to be girls so long as our feminine archetype lacks force, strength, and power…” wrote Dr. William Moulton Marston, a psychologist and feminist. “Women’s strong qualities have become despised because of their weakness. The obvious remedy is to create a character with all the strength of Superman plus all the allure of a good and beautiful woman [4].”

The Batman, of course

Need I mention the Batman and his noteworthy awesomeness?!

Marvel owns some popular figures, but their significance in relation to that of DC’s prominent figures is like that of Justin Biebers' to Beethoven’s. The most significant factor in the cause of a subject’s greatness is its, his, or her impact on the norms of a society.

Tip to my opponent: do not use the same argument twice [5]

1:
http://www.indiemoviesonline.com...

2: http://www.supermanhomepage.com...
3:
http://www.marveldirectory.com...

4: http://www.schoollibraryjournal.com...

5: http://debate.org...

Posted by MaestroEvans 1 year ago
MaestroEvans
Forget my earlier comment; this debate was not fair at all.
Posted by MaestroEvans 1 year ago
MaestroEvans
I have to admit that this debate is not even that fair.
Posted by likespeace 1 year ago
likespeace
Can't wait! I'm curious what the DC universe has going for it beyond Gotham City.
Posted by Ike-Jin-Park 1 year ago
Ike-Jin-Park
I am left speechless. "I will post my reasoning forI will post my reasoning for saying so in round 2 saying so in round 2". Isn't this debate more of personal opinion and very subjective? A might adore DC while they hate Marvel when B is an enormouse fan of Marvel because of reasons why A hates Marvel... This topic is not objective enough to debate.
Posted by koppime 1 year ago
koppime
I am actually very interested in seeing this debate play out. If someone accepts.
Vote Placed by likespeace 1 year ago
likespeace
derkcloudMaestroEvansTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro didn't know what he was in for, and the two-round format gave him no opportunity for a comeback. Kudos to MaestroEvans for pointing out DC's role in comic and general history.
Vote Placed by Deadlykris 1 year ago
Deadlykris
derkcloudMaestroEvansTied
Reasons for voting decision: This debate was too short, and Pro didn't really know what he was up against. The inability to address Con's points was a terrible blow, which left his argument looking weak and his lack of sources a glaring mistake.
Vote Placed by Noumena 1 year ago
Noumena
derkcloudMaestroEvansTied
Reasons for voting decision: The sources argument goes to Con for obvious reasons. His arguments were supplemented with references, Pro's were not. On arguments, Pro brought up some good points with respect to the organization on the whole which Con ignored with his focus on individual characters. However, his Superman point bypassed this at least a little with reference to it's enormous impact on super-heroes to come. The name's point was rather minor and clearly refuted by the "unique" names of other DC characters (i.e., Green Arrow, Martian Man Hunter, etc.). The hero vs. alter-ego point also has clear empirical refutation. Batman's childhood trauma, Superman's struggle to fit in, etc. are clear examples of this. Pro lacked verification for this being widespread on DC heroes. The backstories point is also refuted by the iconic backstories of both Batman and Superman. Con's strongest argument (and what clinched it for me) was the iconic point. No superhero exists who doesn't draw on Superman's characteristics.