derkcloud
SpectreEelman

Marvel is better than DC

derkcloud

Pro

I say that Marvel Comics are superior to DC Comics. I will save this round for introducing the topic, so my reasoning for saying so will come in round 2. There will only be two rounds. We will simply state our arguments for our respective side, and those alone will be voted on.
SpectreEelman

Con

I accept the Debate . I state that DC Comics is better then Marvel comics.
derkcloud

Pro

Well, I'd like to start by pointing out is that I think Marvel is much more original on some key elements. One is names. I think DC overuses "man" in their names. Batman, Superman, Aquaman, Animal Man, Wonder Woman. Another element is characterization. I think Marvel characters are much more dynamic. Wolverine, for example. Most of the main DC superheroes (with the exception of Bruce Wayne, who I won't deny is a very dynamic character) are very everyday nice guys in general, they don't really change much. I think Marvel tends to focus only on the Superhero, and not the human behind the hero. Superman calls most of the shots. Marvel, however, focuses on the personal issues and conflicting ideologies that exist between the X-Men, Avengers, etc.
The last point I'd like to make is I believe that Marvel has better backstories. A lot of the time, DC story-lines are centered around saving the world. Marvel focuses more on more darker, personal issues. Again, Wolverine serves as a good example. That concludes the reasons I believe Marvel is the better of the two. Best of luck to my opponent.
SpectreEelman

Con

I think DC, being the older comic book company, has shown that as times and people's taste change, they are able to adapt and change as well.
The prime example of this would be one of DC cornerstone superheroes: Batman. The Batman has changed and adapted thru his nearly 75 years in Comics.
These adaptations and changes have not always be for the best : mainly the softening of Batman in the early 50s thru mid 60's being a prime example,he was turned into a campy, comedian because of the Comics Code which destroyed numerous characters and a number of Comic book companies.
But there has been times when Batman has adapted and changed for the better: The "Dark Knight" transformation ushered in by Frank Miller in 1986 was a great transformation for Batman. this time being portrayed as an 55 year old Batman coming out of retirement . Wayne must deal with being older and feeling the effects of years of being a vigilante and what it has done to his body and his mindset. You feel the character's situation and how his life has been and you actually realize Wayne/Batman is a great deal like you are, and even with his costume and all his gadgets, Batman is basically a Human being just like you are.
Even DC's equally well known Superhero, Superman , adapts and changes as the years go by. And just like Batman, these changes have sometimes have not been all that good.. Yet Superman continues to carry on and entertain and inspire folks..

DC has managed to stay alive and productive for 80 years, in an Industry that can be very tough to make it in. DC has adapted and changed, not always for the best, but they remain a viable Company and a number of their Superheroes have become well known Icons, familiar to millions of People the World over.
Vote Placed by Deadlykris 3 years ago
Deadlykris
derkcloudSpectreEelmanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Another great debate, from two excellent debaters. Either one of these folks would have crushed a lesser debater; however, going head-to-head like this, I can only call this a draw.