ishallannoyyo
Maikuru

Marvel vs DC

Maikuru

ishallannoyyo

Pro

Hi, I saw this debate and I thought it was really interesting as I debate this with my friends sometimes. I am taking the position of Pro, which is for Marvel. For this debate, you may choose any three Marvel or DC characters from either comic books or movies. For all intents and purposes, we will assume that those 3 will fight each other one-on-one. In Round 2, I will pit one of my characters against one of my opponents and argue. My opponent will rebut and pit one of his characters against one of mine, effectively choosing the third pairing. Round 3 is for arguing the second pairing, Round 4 the third and final pairing, Round 5 are conclusions. In R1 my opponent must choose his 3 heroes/villains. The only rule is that both of us cannot choose extremely overpowered super people. For example: Mr. Dude can alter the universe and destroy people with his thoughts! That counts as overpowered :)

My three super people are:
1. Deadpool (as seen in the comic books)
2. Wolverine
3. Hulk

I look forward to an entertaining debate!
Maikuru

Con

Thank you to Pro for this opportunity. I am a big comic book fan so I'm sure this will be fun.

Now, I thought and thought about what characters to use. Pro's selection was tricky as each member of his team is essentially immortal. Eventually, though, I decided to just go for 3 of my favorite DC characters of all time:

1. Martian Manhunter [1]
2. Flash [2]
3. Plastic Man [3]

My opponent didn't say as much but I'm sure we can assume all characters are their classic incarnations. I'll let Pro decide the first match-up.

References

1. http://tinyurl.com...
2. http://tinyurl.com...
3. http://tinyurl.com...
ishallannoyyo

Pro

I thank my opponent for accepting the debate and choosing his three champions. We will assume that this battle is occurring on Earth and it is a 1 v 1 battle with the other 2 from each team on the sidelines egging them on without lifting a finger to help. For the first round, I will choose:

Deadpool vs. Martian Manhunter

I'll start off by pointing out the strengths and abilities of Deadpool, and then point out why he could easily defeat Martian Manhunter in a fight.

HISTORY
There are some changes in the identity of Deadpool from comic book to comic book, yet it is widely accepted that Deadpool is Wade Wilson, a mercenary who specialized in assassinations. After he contracted cancer, he went to the infamous Weapon X program, the same program that Wolverine went to. He was implanted with the same regeneration abilities as Wolverine, curing his cancer, but causing massive scaring across his entire body. Deadpool was hired by the Canadian government as a covert field agent, but after killing one of his team mates he was sent to the Hospice. The Hospice was a facility where failed superhumans were treated. There, the derange Doctor Killebrew and his attendant Ajax tortured the patients, unknown by the Canadian government. There, the patients had a "deadpool" where they would bet on how long new patients would survive. Wade arrived and was subjected to torture, but didn't die. There, Wade developed a romantic relationship with Death, the cosmic entity in female form. Ajax lobotomized Deadpool's friend Worm, and Death persuaded Wade to kill Worm to end his suffering. Unknown to Wade, murder was unacceptable in the Hospice and Ajax was forced to kill Wade by ripping out his heart. Wade's thirst for vengeance kick-started his healing factor and his heart was regenerated. However, this led to insanity as his healing factor is partially mentally driven, unlike Wolverine. Deadpool murdered Ajax and escaped the Hospice and taking up the mantle of "Deadpool". He continued to work as an expert mercenary, clashing with beings such as Wolverine and the Taskmaster and defeating both in hand-to-hand combat (this was allegedly impossible as the Taskmaster could do anything he saw without practice, making him someone's equal in combat). He maintained his love for Death, yet he couldn't die, permanently separating Deadpool and Death because of the strength of his healing factor. However, even if Deadpool is not hurt his healing factor continues to work, which is what drove him insane.

POWERS
Deadpool has a healing factor that is much more powerful than Wolverine's. Deadpool has survived decapitation, having his heart ripped out as he can regrow internal organs, and can heal slashes, burns, and bullet wounds in a matter of seconds. He is immune to drugs and toxins and all known diseases. He has superhuman reflexes, speed, agility, and stamina all thanks to Weapon X. He is a master martial artist and master assassin with the capability of learning how to master the use of a weapon in 5 minutes. However, possibly one of Deadpool's greatest weapon is his mouth. He is known as the "merc with a mouth". His insanity has made him say things such as:

"I always forget (or just black out to spare myself the agony) what Wilson's most lethal weapon is... his mouth! He'll talk nonsense until you surrender or commit suicide." - Domino

"Allow me to introduce myself. My name's Deadpool, and I'm a...travelling walrus tamer. I takes the wild and nasty walruses, ya see, and I beats their face in till they're tame." Deadpool said this to Walrus, an actual Marvel character.

Deadpool in the comics has been aware that he is in a comic book and in video games he has been aware that he is a video game character.

PARAPHERNIALLIA
Deadpool uses a mixture of guns, blades, and grenades. He has a teleportation device on his belt that allows him to teleport anywhere. He also has the ability to "bodyslide" (which is essentially teleport) to wherever Cable is at any time. He has a holographic image inducer which allows him to create holograms. Deadpool has a magic satchel that has the ability to produce an endless amount of weapons for Deadpool as he is seen often pulling out an endless amount of weapons that wouldn't fit into his satchel (katanas, guns, endless amounts of ammo and grenades etc.). [1]

FIGHTING MARTIAN MANHUNTER
Now, my opponent may claim that Deadpool's insanity is a detriment, but it isn't. It actually works to his advantage during a fight. His insanity was the only reason he could defeat Taskmaster, as his insanity led to him constantly switching fighting styles, making it so Taskmaster couldn't match what Deadpool was doing. His healing factor leads to the continued renewal of his brain cells at an exponential rate, leaving him immune to any form of mental attack. He has resisted Professor X and Emma Frost, some of the strongest telepaths in the Marvel Universe. Deadpool has literally no weaknesses and cannot die, which is what made his relationship with Death so romantic (star-crossed lovers that will never be together). Martian Manhunter on the other hand has a psychosomatic fear of fire. Exposure to flames causes him to lose his powers or melt into goop depending on the intensity of the fire. Martian Manhunter hasn't conquered this fear and still suffers from pyrophobia. [2] Martian Manhunter's fear of fire is described as his "Achille's Heel". The appearance of fire in a battle will weaken the Martian Manhunter. Deadpool has a magic satchel, from which he can pull out any weapon he chooses, such as incendiary grenades and flamethrowers. This amount of fire weakens Martian Manhunter allowing him to be harmed by Deadpool. Furthermore, the Sun weakens Martians on Earth until they return to Mars.

CONCLUSION
Deadpool already has an immunity to telepathy, weakening Martian Manhunter's effectiveness against him. Deadpool is indestructible and unable to die. His ability to use fire weapons ignites Martian Manhunter's pyrophobia, greatly weakening him and allowing him to be destroyed by Deadpool.

SOURCES
1. http://marvel.wikia.com...(Wade_Wilson)#Abilities
2. http://en.wikipedia.org...
Maikuru

Con

I thank my opponent for his response and commend his line of argumentation. I chose Martian Manhunter in the hopes of this match-up, as I anticipated Deadpool’s weaponry and resistance to telepathy would lead to increased possibilities. Unfortunately, I do not believe Pro utilized these advantages to the extent necessary to secure a win. Allow me to explain why.

The Combatants

For those unfamiliar with the character, Martian Manhunter possesses abilities very similar to that of Superman: immeasurable strength, incredible speed, invulnerability, flight, and heat vision. His alien physiology also grants him invisibility, intangibility, shape shifting, and telepathy [1, Powers and Abilities]. Some of his more impressive feats include easily transporting millions of tons (http://tinyurl.com...), holding off the entire Justice League in battle (http://tinyurl.com...), and traversing the globe in seconds (http://tinyurl.com...).

Deadpool, as my opponent pointed out, is a mutant assassin. Possessing a healing factor, skills in martial arts, and a proficiency with blades and guns, he is truly a deadly foe for most men. Unfortunately for him, his opponent isn’t a man. More like a green Superman.

The Strategies

Since bullets won’t work on Manhunter (http://tinyurl.com...), Deadpool has a single option for this fight: use fire to trigger Manhunter’s pyrophobia and hope he becomes either totally disabled or weak enough to defeat. However, the chances of that happening are nil. Deadpool has no idea Manhunter is afraid of fire; Deadpool almost always sticks with his standard handguns and swords; Deadpool loves to engage opponents in lengthy dialogues before getting to work; Manhunter can move and fight at supersonic speeds; Flight, invisibility, and intangibility mean no fire is getting anywhere close to Manhunter.

Now, since Deadpool is immortal, Manhunter need only immobilize, incapacitate, or otherwise render harmless his opponent to take this match. Whether Manhunter uses shape shifting to bind Deadpool’s limbs (or mouth, for everyone’s sake), strength to pin him under heavy objects, speed to completely strip him of his weapons and devices, or simply gets bored and tosses Deadpool into the sun (as Manhunter once did to his own girlfriend...damn: http://tinyurl.com...), the options are really limitless.

The Fight

The actual combat wouldn’t take long. In fact, Deadpool’s wisecracks would probably take up most of the match. After taking a few shots are Manhunter’s skin color and weirdly shaped head, Deadpool would pull out his pistols and take actual shots at Manhunter’s weirdly shaped head. After the bullets pass right through him, Deadpool would have just enough time to look quizzically at his guns before he gets a super sonic punch to the moneymaker. By the time he regains consciousness, Deadpool notices he’s stripped naked, sitting next to Wolverine, and just in time to watch the next fight from the sidelines (http://tinyurl.com...). At least he'd give good commentary.

And the winner is...

...by way of having way too damn many powers.

For our next bout, I'd like to put a fan favorite up against a virtual unknown: Wolverine vs Plastic Man!

References

1. http://tinyurl.com...
ishallannoyyo

Pro

ishallannoyyo forfeited this round.
Maikuru

Con

I’m not sure why my opponent forfeited. He was online yesterday and even started another debate. No matter; as a true comic fan, I argue with myself all the time.

The Combatants

Wolverine, as we all know, is basically an animal. He has an incredible healing factor, acute senses, increased strength and agility, and three claws on each hand. His entire skeleton is coated in an unbreakable metal known as adamantium, granting him virtual indestructibility and claws capable of cutting through any solid material (other than adamantium itself). He is a master of many forms of martial arts and considered one of Marvel’s best close-range combatants [1, Powers and Abilities].

DC’s answer to Mr. Fantastic, Plastic Man can alter the size, shape, and elasticity of any part of his body to immeasurable extents. With total control over his molecular make-up, Plastic Man is able to alter his mass, immediately heal wounds, regenerate limbs, and shape shift into both people and objects. As he exists in a perpetually fluid state, most attacks either pass through him, are harmlessly absorbed, or simply rebound [2, Powers and Abilities]. This embedded Ren & Stimpy-esque video is both completely ridiculous and surprisingly accurate in its portrayal of Plastic Man’s persona and abilities. Skip to any given moment; he never stops transforming.

The Strategies

Wolverine has employed a simple strategy against enemies for years now: cut them ‘till they stop moving. His superhuman speed, strength, combat training, and indestructible claws mean this tactic has worked on just about every opponent’s he’s ever faced. As his claws only extend 12”, he will naturally attempt to close the gap between himself and Plastic Man quickly and then proceed to gut, maim, or lacerate his opponent beyond recognition. Should this prove impossible, he has few, if any, alternatives.

Plastic Man’s clinical insanity and potentially limitless transformations make his battle tactics unpredictable. Generally, he starts by binding his opponents via stretched appendages, then proceeds to pummel and thrash them with a combination of shape shifting and absurdity. By increasing his height and mass, he can make these blows as powerful and weighted as necessary. Like Wolverine, he focuses on close-range combat and, also like Wolverine, his invulnerability allows him to attack with reckless abandon. Should brute force fail, suffocation, immobilization, and caging remain possibilities.

The Fight

Surely the strangest fight of this debate, this bout starts with the contenders sizing each other up. Wolverine has no patience for nonsense (http://tinyurl.com...), whereas Plastic Man loves a tough audience (http://tinyurl.com...). While Plastic Man is doing everything he can to get a laugh out of the gruff Canadian, Wolverine won’t hesitate to pop his claws straight into my guy’s gut. Unfortunately for him, that’s where things start getting weird. See, as I mentioned earlier, Plastic Man is in a perpetually fluid state. So while Wolverine’s claws can cut any solid material, they are less than useless against someone practically liquid. This fact was made abundantly clear during his fight with Mr. Fantastic.

Mr. Fantastic’s body automatically adjusts, adapts, and accommodates any sort of puncturing weapon. Plastic Man, whose molecular control is far beyond that of Mr. Fantastic, will achieve this same invulnerability against Wolverine with ease. So, at this point, with Wolverine’s hand and claws completely engulfed within a rubbery torso, Plastic Man will undoubtedly fall on his go-to move: envelope him completely and assault him with a barrage of endless haymakers.

Remember, since Plastic Man can adjust his weight, mass, and density at will, these punches will be of the superhuman variety. Hulk has already demonstrated that, despite his healing factor, constant powerful blows to the head will cause Wolverine’s brain to slam against his adamantium skull and incapacitate him.

After a few minutes in this inescapable torture chamber, a concussed and suffocated Wolverine will be defeated and Plastic Man will still be as unknown as ever.

And the winner is...

...by a stretch.

The last match-up is already decided: The Flash vs The Hulk! I do hope I don't have to argue that one alone, too.

References

1. http://tinyurl.com...
2. http://tinyurl.com...

ishallannoyyo

Pro

Internet cafes :)

I concede this debate.
Maikuru

Con

I thank my opponent for his concession. I accept.

However, as a comic book geek, I am obligated to argue about a superhero fight whenever possible. As a compromise and in true Flash fashion, I’ll keep this round brief.

The Combatants

The strongest man alive versus the fastest man alive. Classic.

The Strategies

Hit hard.

Run fast.

The Fight

HULK SMASH PUNY HUMAN!!!

HULK SMASH!!! HULK.....SMASH........HUL....K...........S....................M................................................................................................................................................................................

or

HULK CATCH TINY RED MAN!!! RAWRRRRR!! RAWWR....GRR.....*feints*

or

LITTLE MAN NOT HURT HULK!!! HULK STRONGEST THERE IS!!! HULK...*BOOOOOM*

or

LITTLE MAN NO RUN FROM HULK!!! HULK...HULK FEEL FUNN...*POP*

And the winner is...

...in record time.

I thank my opponent for the opportunity to participate in a fun and interesting debate.

Thanks for reading everyone!
ishallannoyyo

Pro

Je forfeit.

Sorry bout that. Vote Con.
Maikuru

Con

Thanks to my gracious opponent for the debate and to the readers for sticking around! I hope you enjoyed it!
Posted by DebateBehemoth 4 years ago
DebateBehemoth
Actually though this is a non-canon match Hulk has been able to catch the flash trying FF him in a comic crossover. :) just thought to share it
Posted by Maikuru 4 years ago
Maikuru
Haha I love Spot but he would have been destroyed here. I actually considered him.
Posted by OberHerr 4 years ago
OberHerr
Too bad he didn't pulled Spot out.
Posted by Maikuru 4 years ago
Maikuru
Thanks for the votes, everybody. Keytar, since you agree with Pro, which match-ups do you think Pro could have won? In my opinion, his only possible win would be Hulk over Plastic Man. Flash and Manhunter could have taken any of his characters.
Posted by Maikuru 4 years ago
Maikuru
Create a photo album on your profile page, copy the image from your album, and then paste it directly into your argument.
Posted by ishallannoyyo 4 years ago
ishallannoyyo
How did you post pictures in the argument?
Posted by Maikuru 4 years ago
Maikuru
D'oh!

R4: feints = faints
Posted by Maikuru 4 years ago
Maikuru
I went 3 debates without a forfeit. Literally a record.
Posted by Maikuru 4 years ago
Maikuru
Coolio, I'll add that to my upcoming debate list.
Posted by Korashk 4 years ago
Korashk
Let's do it.
Vote Placed by KeytarHero 4 years ago
KeytarHero
ishallannoyyoMaikuruTied
Reasons for voting decision: It's a shame, but Pro conceded.
Vote Placed by caveat 4 years ago
caveat
ishallannoyyoMaikuruTied
Reasons for voting decision: Obvious. Fun topic that I will probably end up debating at some point in the future :)
Vote Placed by F-16_Fighting_Falcon 4 years ago
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
ishallannoyyoMaikuruTied
Reasons for voting decision: loved the "debate." RFD is obvious