Blackdeath17
FlatEarthSociety

Mass Effect (pro) vs Halo (con)

Started: 6/12/2015 Category: Games

Blackdeath17

Pro

First round is acceptance..........
FlatEarthSociety

Con

As a fan of both, I accept this debate. Let's go team halo!
Blackdeath17

Pro

Mass Effect is a game made by Bioware who are known to make great games like Dragon Age and Star Wars: the old republic. Mass Effect has a great interactive story with unique characters. The story takes you on the role of Commander Shepard (Who's face you can actually see, unlike master chief) an alliance military soldier(at least for mass effect 1 and 3) who is on a mission to save the galaxy from a threat that can cause the extinction of all species in the milky way. He is in command of a stealth ship, Normandy, and in it contains his crew of which he can interact with and have humorous encounters in. Throughout the story you will encounter unique characters (as mentioned before) and make key decisions which can change the outcome of the mission, ending and the loyalty of your crew. The player also can choose unique classes before starting the story. Each of these classes contain unique abilities in which the player can use in the battlefield when going up against an enemy. Halo on the other hand has a handful of unique character and the main protagonist is more boring compared to Commander Shepard. The story is good, being a fan of both franchises, but when compared to Mass Effect, who's story is more complex than that of halo, the story of Halo is inferior. The enemy in Mass Effect require a more strategic plan to overcome than that of Halo as each enemy in Mass Effect also have abilities and weapons similar to the player and his/her squad mates. Mass Effect also enables the player to choose their own gender at the start of the game so that players can choose their desired genders as well as customizing both the protagonist's face to their desire, to ease the player, going with the default face. Furthermore, the player can also choose his/her background story which can be lead to unique interactions in the story.
FlatEarthSociety

Con

I will argue that halo is better than mass effect. Scratch that, I will argue that Halo 3 and Halo Reach are better than all 3 Mass Effects combined. My argument will take into account total number of potential hours of replayability. Campaign is fun and all, but when it comes down to a game that you want to play for years to come, campaign won't cut it. There isn't enough variability in these games to keep a normal person entertained after the third or fourth playthrough. With a 12 hour long campaign, this only accounts for 48 hours. So where do the other 950+ hours come from that I have personally invested into Halo Reach alone? It comes from multiplayer, custom games, forge, and theater. My premise is that a game with more replayability is more worth purchasing than a game that doesn't have as much, since the goal of a game is to keep the gamer entertained. Then, my second premise is that Halo has more replayability than Mass Effect, which I will justify in my next paragraph. My conclusion is then that Halo is better than Mass Effect.

Here is my suggested replayability equation: Total Hours = Campaign + Everything Else the Game has to Offer
For Halo, Everything Else the Game has to Offer = Multiplayer + (Forge)(Custom Games) + Theater
For Mass Effect, Everything Else the Game has to Offer = Multiplayer

Notice that for Halo, I have custom games and forge multiplying eachother. This is because they are linked. For those who don't know, Forge is a Halo gametype in which you can create your own maps. Custom games is a gametype in which players play on maps that were usually created in forge. Without forge, custom games would become stale very quickly. Without custom games, forge would be pretty much pointless. Although there are limitations of what you can do in forge, there are an infinite number of possibilities of worlds. To see this entire point illustrated by a video, please watch this. https://www.youtube.com...; That is why I game. That is why I can put in 1000 hours easily from just $60.

"The story takes you on the role of Commander Shepard (Who's face you can actually see, unlike master chief)"

Even Chief is bamboozled by this point.

Anyways, Pro only tells the story of both Mass Effect in an over exaggerated manner and Halo's in a lack luster way. I will not do that, since we won't get anywhere. Pro is illuding that people will experience higher levels of enjoyment out of mass effect and not Halo. I want scientific data backing that up. I want to see dopamine levels in the brain of many users in a casual playthrough of the game. Without it, your argument is only subjective. Team Halo Rules!!
Blackdeath17

Pro

I admit halo has a good story but not as good as mass effect's storyline which I said earlier was unique and entertaining. Mass Effect also has what you call 'replayability'. The game has multiple endings which are unique which include's mass effect 3's ending that is if you download extended cut DLC(Con can criticize about bioware having the player to download a dlc for a better ending if he/she wants and also about he DLC's presentation as I agree with him/her). Every time a player replays the game they will have a unique experience as the player's choice may vary from previous playthroughs. The average gameplay for a mass effect game is 33.9 hours (that is if the player also takes part in side quests). Both male and female shepards have unique dialogue and moments throughout the game making each play through vary. Multiplayer contributes in this experience as your actions in multiplayer can effect the story. Also I disagree with Con's target of an enjoyable game being 1000 hours. 1000 hours is approximately 42 days straight without any breaks including sleeping. The average game is 34 years of age (source: http://www.esrb.org...). They also play an average of 8 hours a week as stated by the source. That means that an average gamer must play halo for 125 weeks for the game to be considered 'replayable'. Con can argue that this can be achieved if the gamer is engaged at halo but it should be considered that most if not at least 50 percent of gamers would have a game in their household other than halo. It should also be considered that since the average gamer is 34 based on the source provided then an average gamer must have a job. One Mass Effect game (including side quests) is on average is 33.9 hours excluding multiplayer based on these sources:
http://howlongtobeat.com...
http://howlongtobeat.com...
http://howlongtobeat.com...
Let's say the gamer would replay the game five times in order to experience every ending as well as playing mass effect in different variations. That would mean that the gamer would have to play a total of 169.5 hours for one mass effect game. That would take an average game a total of 21 weeks to fully experience the game which although may be less that halo based on con's calculations but can be achievable by an average gamer. An average gamer is more likely to play one game for 21 weeks than one game for 125 weeks. This is because of boredom,I imagine playing the same game for 125 weeks can be tedious. As for con's last statement, it is completely up to the voters based on their experiences playing the two games.
FlatEarthSociety

Con

FlatEarthSociety forfeited this round.
Blackdeath17

Pro

Although Halo has good gameplay mass effect's gameplay is more strategic forcing the player to decide which squad mates to use from mission to mission to acquire a good combination of tech mastery and biotic mastery (both are squad mates as well as your own's special powerups). While Halo requires you to primarily to use your guns, grenades and sometimes energy shields to take out an opponent mass effect requires you to use your powers and different combinations of your squad mates as well as your own to take some enemies out. Different combinations can cause and inflict devastating damage to your opponents health, barriers, shield and Armour.

Both games have an equal distribution of different types of opponents each having unique abilities that can cause difficulty to the player.

Mass effect takes the player to uncharted world around the milky way galaxy and through various space stations as well as futuristic cities. Halo only takes you to places that are limited which I don't blame considering the story usually takes place in one place.

In terms of character masterchief is very poor. Sure he has some awesome moments in the game as well as emotional moments with cortanana but that's it. Never once does the player see his facial expression and he barely talks throughout the game. Shepard on the other hand has awesome moments as well as emotional moments and the player can see how he feels through his facial expression and the tone of his dialogues. The player can see as well as shape shepard's character in any way he or she wants while masterchief is very bland. Con may argue that it shows how cold-hearted masterchief is and that it's the reason why the player never sees his face but that seems more of an excuse than an actual reason.

My argument ends here. VOTE PRO
FlatEarthSociety

Con

FlatEarthSociety forfeited this round.
Posted by Blackdeath17 1 year ago
Blackdeath17
For the ending of round 3 i meant con's last statement of my argument being subjective.
Posted by Proving_a_Negative 1 year ago
Proving_a_Negative
Let us gaze upon the stars...
Posted by Blackdeath17 1 year ago
Blackdeath17
Pro will argue for mass effect and Con will argue for halo
Posted by sboonz101 1 year ago
sboonz101
Can you be a little specific about what you mean by pro and con?