Agnostic_Meatatarian
ChosenWolff

Masterbation is not seen as a sin in the bible

ChosenWolff

Agnostic_Meatatarian

Pro

I will show using logic no where in the bible is masterbation considered a sin.
ChosenWolff

Con

I take it this masturbation isn't with ones wife, so lets begin.

I. Premartial or Adultress sex is a sin

Here is a list of quotes that affirm the contention
http://www.openbible.info...

II. Idolotry, thoughs on sexual immortality, and Evil from within is sinful

These quotes will affirm what I just said
http://www.openbible.info...

III. Thinking sinful thoughts is equivalent to commiting them

"Jesus condemns looking at women or girls in order to lust after them" (Matt 5:28)

"Flee from sexual immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the sexually immoral person sins against his own body." (Corinthians 6:18)

"Put to death therefore what is earthly in you: sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry." (Collosians 3:5)

"But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart" (Matthew 5:28)

IV. Conclusion

I have just affirmed that idolotry, sexual immortality, thoughtful adultery, and lust are all considered sins in the bible, therefore, the act of masturbation is seen as a sin. Resolution negated.

Agnostic_Meatatarian

Pro

I am not going to speak on sexual thoughts and desires as that is not the argument I am making, but I will say that the defintion if you look up both the original greek and hebrew when it speeks of sexual immorality it means sex with another not masterbation but fornication, adultery, beastiality, prostitution, and so on. If you look up the original defintions of sexual immorality it actually is reffering to sex not masterbation. It is absolutely impossible to find a direct quote with the exact meaning reffering masterbation itself.
ChosenWolff

Con

I am not going to speak on sexual thoughts and desires as that is not the argument I am making, but I will say that the definition if you look up both the original Greek and Hebrew when it speeks of sexual immorality it means sex with another not masterbation but fornication, adultery, beastiality, prostitution, and so on. If you look up the original defintions of sexual immorality it actually is reffering to sex not masterbation. It is absolutely impossible to find a direct quote with the exact meaning reffering masterbation itself.

Sexual Immortality actually means to think of yourself as divine in sex. Or that all women love you, beautiful women flock to you, and your some kind of sex god. This is known as sexual immortality, and it is a subdivision of lust. A common thing seen in masturbation.

To conclude, the opposition has dropped all the quotes I put forward, therefore, they're affirmed. I was hoping he would argue against them, but all he has attempted to argue is that sexual immortality =/= masturbation, which he also spelled incorrectly.
Agnostic_Meatatarian

Pro

Saying one is the same as the other is very untrue, just because masturbation is done with sexual thoughts that are sinful does not make masturbation itself sinful as well. When people masturbate they masturbate because they have sexual thoughts, they don't masturbate then get sexual thoughts. It is usually the sexual thoughts that get them there so saying that masturbation is the sin is going off of nothing in the bible, they are lead to masturbation because of thoughts.

Masturbation is not a sin and no where does it say it is, thoughts are the thing that are considered sinful. Thoughts are what lead a person to masturbation. The bible orders us to take away those thoughts from our mind, the thoughts are to blame for sin not masturbation. Therefore masturbation is not a sin but a product of sin. Taking away the product does nothing and the product itself is not the sin, the sin remains weather you take away the product or not. The problem is thought, not masturbation.

"Masturbation is not seen as a sin in the bible"

Last I checked you have not proved that it is directly in the bible which is the very basis of the debate, that masturbation is not seen as a sin in the bible. You have not proven that it is what so ever. You have proven that every other sexual sin is but not masturbation all by itself. You have negated nothing.
ChosenWolff

Con

Saying one is the same as the other is very untrue
I don't understand what you're trying to say here

just because masturbation is done with sexual thoughts that are sinful does not make masturbation itself sinful as well.
Yes, it actually does. I'm pretty sure you just commited a fallacy. For example, if eating bacon would indirectly kill someone, and I knew this before hand, eating the bacon would be sinning.

When people masturbate they masturbate because they have sexual thoughts
No, they actually masturbate while having sexual thoughts. The two are synonomous in producing an orgasm. And don't even get me started about "Masturbation without imagery".

they don't masturbate then get sexual thoughts
Uh, as I said, the two are synomous. Observe Genesis 38:9

"
But Onan knew that the child would not be his; so whenever he slept with his brother’s wife, he spilled his semen on the ground to keep from providing offspring for his brother.
10 What he did was wicked in the Lord’s sight; so the Lord put him to death also"

https://www.biblegateway.com...

IE, Onan didn't finish himself off in the Vagina!

It is usually the sexual thoughts that get them there so saying that masturbation is the sin is going off of nothing in the bible
You do plan on refuting my bible quotes at one point, correct? Onan alone is sufficient for many to determine masturbation as a sin.

Last I checked you have not proved that it is directly in the bible which is the very basis of the debate
That's because the resolution isn't "No where in the bible does it directly say masturbation is a sin". I have affirmed the actual resolution, "Masturbation is seen as a sin in the bible". You dropped all my points and quotes.

You have not proven that it is what so ever
Sorry, but my french is a little rusty. Can you make this sentence coherent?

You have proven that every other sexual sin is but not masturbation all by itself
I have no idea what you're trying to say

You have negated nothing
There was nothing to negate. I affirmed many things, which you dropped. In real debate, everything is affirmed until countered. You failed to counter anything.
Agnostic_Meatatarian

Pro

"Genesis 38:8-10 Then Judah said to Onan, “Sleep with your brother’s wife and fulfill your duty to her as a brother-in-law to raise up offspring for your brother.” 9 But Onan knew that the child would not be his; so whenever he slept with his brother’s wife, he spilled his semen on the ground to keep from providing offspring for his brother. 10 What he did was wicked in the Lord’s sight; so the Lord put him to death also."

In the full context it shows God punished Onan because he did not give seed to his wife not because he masturbated. This link explains it all in more detail. http://www.straightdope.com...

I did not respond to your quotes because they had nothing to do with masturbation itself, once again if they did I would respond to them. I am only saying masturbation is not quoted in the bible as a sin.

"There was nothing to negate. I affirmed many things, which you dropped. In real debate, everything is affirmed until countered. You failed to counter anything." That is because what you wanted me to counter was that sexual immoral things that are not involving masturbation are sins. But I'm not arguing that, why would I try to counter that when that is not my argument. That is like If we are arguing meat processing then you argue against it with a bunch of sources that have to do with farming when I am talking about meat processing not farming. I am not trying to counter those sources, unless they have to do with direct quotes from masturbation not sexual immorality which does not include masturbation. Once again the title of the debate is "Masturbation is not seen as a sin in the bible" and unless it mentions masturbation you can't say that it is seen as a sin.

"just because masturbation is done with sexual thoughts that are sinful does not make masturbation itself sinful as well.
Yes, it actually does. I'm pretty sure you just commuted a fallacy. For example, if eating bacon would indirectly kill someone, and I knew this before hand, eating the bacon would be sinning."

I'm sorry I don't see how that is the same at all, it is not a fallacy as the only thing mentioned as being a sin is sexually immoral behavior or thoughts which are not mentioning masturbation.

No, they actually masturbate while having sexual thoughts. The two are synonymous in producing an orgasm. And don't even get me started about "Masturbation without imagery".

Masturbation is done when the person is aroused or has sexual thoughts and possibly watches porn. Your thinking masturbation causes you to do those things or that because you do it with them together it automatically makes both those things bad, masturbation is only the product of sinful actions not the sin itself. Let me give an example, thing 1 is sinful and thing 2 is not. If you do thing 1 then your committing a sin but if you do thing 2 its fine. But if you do them both thing 1 and 2 together then just because they are being done together doesn't make thing 2 a sin because your doing thing 1 with it. Thing 1 is still sinful while thing 2 remains acceptable. Funny you mention "masturbation without imagery" because I wonder if you could find that as a sin in the bible.

ChosenWolff

Con

In the full context it shows God punished Onan because he did not give seed to his wife not because he masturbated
I read the link, and several others regarding the same subject. Most conclude the same thing. Onan finished himself off outside of the vagina. It doesn't mean he stuck his dick inside her, and quickly pulled out the last minute while having an orgasm (that's not even possible). The quote is pretty straightforward. Unless you're contending it is a sin to not impregnate your brothers wife?

Ar the end of the day, there are millions of interpretations to Onan, but it most certainly wasn't him being punished for not impregnating his brothers wife. The context was extremely clear, that Onan finished himself off outside the vagina do to his shame.

I did not respond to your quotes because they had nothing to do with masturbation itself
Anything that is dropped is instantly affirmed. I will restate my contentions.

[P1] You can't masturbate without thinking lustful thoughts or sexually immortal thoughts
[P2] Thinking of lust or sexual immortality is a sin
[C1] Masturbation is a sin in the bible

Here is what I want my opponent to do. I want him to give me an example of someone who can masturbate without lusting over something. Note, lust isn't always with another person. If the opposition can do this, then he defeat this, and only this, contention. I also want to take the time to restate several quotes I listed earlier.

"Flee from sexual immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the sexually immoral person sins against his own body." (Corinthians 6:18)"

Paul is saying, and quite clear, that sins to your own body are equal to sins to anothers body. Having sex with yourself is a form of adultery, which is a sin. Unless your married to yourself, having sex with yourself is no different than having pre martial sex with another human being.

[P1] Paul states that all the laws of sexual sin apply to one's self as well
[P2] Masturbation is either adultery, pre-martial sex, or homosexuality
[C2] Masturbation is seen as a sin in the bible

once again if they did I would respond to them.
This sentence makes no coherent sense.

That is because what you wanted me to counter was that sexual immoral things that are not involving masturbation are sin
This sentence makes no coherent sense. It doesn't matter the relations of my quotes to masturbation. If you drop a point it is affirmed as true. This is how professional debates work.

" But I'm not arguing that, why would I try to counter that when that is not my argument"
Because it was my argument. There's a thing called the counter rebuttal.

That is like If we are arguing meat processing then you argue against it with a bunch of sources that have to do with farming when I am talking about meat processing not farming
Punctuation please

Once again, that is false. You think sexual and lustful thoughts as you masturbate. Therefore masturbation is a sin. Webmd, help me out.
http://www.webmd.com...

Masturbation is done when the person is aroused or has sexual thoughts and possibly watches porn
This is known as lust, and its a sin. Masturbation requires the act of lust, therefore masturbation is a sin.

Your thinking masturbation causes you to do those things or that because you do it with them together it automatically makes both those things bad, masturbation is only the product of sinful actions not the sin itself

This reminds me of a philosophical text I read last week. Imagine a set of blinds. We see the blinds as one connected object, as we have reason. A animal, would see blinds as 6 planks connected to a string. You are arguing that masturbation is 6 sins attached to one action. I am arguing that the sins are not only compatible with masturbation, but an integral part of it.

Don't think of masturbation as 6 planks connected to a string.

1 is sinful and thing 2 is not
This would only be true if masturbation was a byproduct. If 1 and 2 = 3, that would be an orgasm, IE, 3 would be a byproduct. Since masturbation is a specific action verb, everything required to commit the action is integrated within the terminology.

Your arguments are acting as if sin produces masturbation. This is false. You are sinning (lusting) while masturbating.

If you do thing 1 then your committing a sin but if you do thing 2 its fine
Except masturbation, is the process of thinking arousing thoughts while engaging the genitals. The two are synomous. You can't masturbate without sin, therefore the act of masturbation is commiting sin.

To conclude, the oppositions whole argument is residing on the fallacious idea that you lust then masturbate. Anyone who jacks off knows you lust while masturbating.

Agnostic_Meatatarian

Pro

Not possible really? Maybe you haven't watched porn, but pulling out to cum is been done many times before. I seriously can't believe my friend that you would consider it impossible since it has been done before. And I don't think you read the link in detail. You passed over the part where it talks about Onan's brother dying, and since he was next of kin he was now incharge to impregnate his brothers wife with child. God ordered him to do so but he did not and disobeyed God which made God put him to death. You may think this sounds insane but considering you had no problem believing he was killed because he masturbated then you should have no problem believing that. Especially since my link shows that in detail and expalins it well. There is a moral to this story. Ancient Hebrew law held that the next surviving brother shall take the widow of his deceased brother as his wife. He shall bear children to the name of the dead brother so his name may not be blotted out of Israel.

http://hermeneutics.stackexchange.com...

http://www.straightdope.com...

http://christiananswers.net...

Anything that is dropped is instantly affirmed.

Your correct but all that you affirmed was not involving masterbation being a sin but fornication, lust, idolatry, homosexual acts, prostitution, beastiality, and every other sexual act except masterbation. So you may have affirmed other sexual acts as being sinful but not masterbation.

[C1] Masturbation is a sin in the bible

Your premis is flawed because it assumes that a sinful act done with a none sinful act makes the none sinful act sinful also, but no where in the bible does it say that so your making that one up. Yes most people think of impure thoughts when masterbating, but they usually start by getting aroused by there thoughts then they combine it with masterbation. They don't usually start thinking sexual thoughts then simultaniously start to masterbate, first the thoughts arouse them then they combine the sexual thoughts with masterbation. So in short masterbation is done usually because the thoughts get them aroused so they masterbate because of it. There sin is not the masterbation as it comes after they first start thinking those thoughts, and then is coupled with them. In the bible it is said that anything that causes you to sin is considered a sin in itself, but masterbation is done because of the sin it does not take you to the sin so therefore it is not a sin.

I myself have done it when I was religious, I avoided sexual thoughts when masterbating. Even if I didn't it does not change the fact that masterbation is not a sin as I previously showed in my last comment on this very post. And I already said if you had mentioned masterbation in any of those links I would of rebuttled them but you didn't.

Inorrect, the actually origninal wording is fornication and the original translation mentions sexual act committed with others or lustful thoughts not masterbation.

http://qbible.com...

http://lexiconcordance.com...

http://lexiconcordance.com...

Premis one is reffering to what paul said about sexual sin which never mentions masterbation. The second premis is completely incorrect because it is based on pure assumption. There no biblical refrence that shows that masterbation is mentioned as being the same as adultery, pre-martial sex, or homosexuality. Lastly premis three makes a bold assumption with zero proof to back it up.

It doesn't matter the relations of my quotes to masturbation. If you drop a point it is affirmed as true. This is how professional debates work.

No it does not at all, your quotes did not mention masterbation. In a proffetional debate one provides proof of the topic argued then the other person makes a rebuttel on it. You failed to stay on topic with your information which is not how a profecional debate works. In the debate I am only obligated to rebuttel things on topic not off.

Because it was my argument. There's a thing called the counter rebuttal

Again I'm only obligated to do so if you stay on topic which you didn't.

http://www.webmd.com......

I'm sorry if I was not clear, I meant a person starts thinking sexual thoughts first which gets them aroused then they masterbate while thinking the sexual thoughts. Not that they think sexual thoughts then stop and start masterbating.

Once again doing something none sinful with something sinful does not make a none sinful thing automatically sinful. Like in a drive by shooting one is required to drive and shoot, it is a sin to kill people not to drive a car. Just because your doing both together does not make both sinful.

I am arguing that the sins are not only compatible with masturbation, but an integral part of it.

Again doing a none sinful thing with a sinful thing does not make it sinful.

So what? Again just because you do something none sinful with something sinful does not make the none sinful act sinful.

Even if what got you to masterbate wasn't being aroused by thoughts or what you so being done together means nothing in this perticular argument. The argument is that masterbation is not seen as sinful in the bible, you did not prove that and lust and masterbation. Masterbation and lust being done together does nothing to prove that masterbation is seen as sin in the bible.

Again I meant you usually masterbate with lust becuase first the lust causes you to be aroused. Which then usually masterbation and lust are done together at that point. Either way it doesn't change the fact masterbation itself is not seen as sin biblically.

ChosenWolff

Con

Not possible really? Maybe you haven't watched porn, but pulling out to cum is been done many times before.
You aren't listening to what I'm writing. It is impossible to start cumming and pull your dick out mid orgasm. By the time you climax you're shivering at the rate of thunder.

I seriously can't believe my friend that you would consider it impossible since it has been done before
Maybe that's because I never said this. You're either quoting me out of context, or trying to kill my credibility through scapegoats.

And I don't think you read the link in detail
I certainly did

You passed over the part where it talks about Onan's brother dying,...
I had not

...and since he was next of kin he was now incharge to impregnate his brothers wife with child
Irrelevant. The quote was clear. Onan didn't spill his semen inside the vagina. This is directly stating that Onan finished himself outside the vagina.

God ordered him to do so but he did not and disobeyed God which made God put him to death
Irrelevant. The only important lesson in Onans story is that he finished himself outside the vagina, and god was displeased.

You may think this sounds insane but considering you had no problem believing he was killed because he masturbated then you should have no problem believing that
I don't believe in any of this. The resolution is asking whether or not it's a sin in the bible, and I have proven that it is.

Especially since my link shows that in detail and expalins it well
You mean your bias and non-scholarly link? I told you the correct interpretation. Your own link this round says that Onan masturbated.

Ancient Hebrew law held that the next surviving brother shall take the widow of his deceased brother as his wife
Irrelavant to what happened

You're once again commiting the same fallacy. It is 100% true that you masturbate and lust at the same time. We are taught to look at things for what they compose, not what they constitute. Philosophy 101.

I will equate this conversation with a ladder. A human would see a ladder a one singular object, whereas an animal would see a ladder as 8 planks stacked on top of each other. We possess reason, so we are well aware that these planks form one object, a ladder.

Masturbation is no different. Lust is a component of achieving an orgasm, and as humans, we don't see masturbation as lust and touching oneself. We see it as one singular act known as masturbation. My opponent is breaking several laws of philosophy in saying that we can seperate an action from a sin.

Examples of my opponents contention in effect

- The action of killing isn't sinful, because only violent intent is a sin in the bible. (False, violent intent is a component of one singular act).

- The action of rape isn't sinful, because only lust is sinful. (False, rape is sinful, whether you lust or not, because the sins are components of one singular act).

As you can clearly see, the OP's argument falls short. I gave an example earlier. If buying a goat would kill a person, and you buy the goat knowing this, you're still commiting the sin.

Your premis is flawed because it assumes that a sinful act done with a none sinful act makes the none sinful act sinful also
I can't understand what you're saying.

Yes most people think of impure thoughts when masterbating, but they usually start by getting aroused by there thoughts then they combine it with masterbation
This contradicted what you said earlier. You negated your own BOP. As I'll repeat, you are lusting while masturbating.

They don't usually start thinking sexual thoughts then simultaniously start to masterbate
This is exactly what they do. I provided a link that showed so.

So in short masterbation is done usually because the thoughts get them aroused so they masterbate because of it
No need to repeat myself. The premise is false.

I avoided sexual thoughts when masterbating. Even if I didn't it does not change the fact that masterbation is not a sin as I previously showed in my last comment on this very post. And I already said if you had mentioned masterbation in any of those links I would of rebuttled them but you didn't.
I provided you with a link that stated that everyone attackes some form of lust in masturbation. It doesn't have to be sexual.

You aren't refuting what Paul said. I can't understand you, and fornification is irrelavant to what he has said. Paul clearly said that having sex with yourself is no different than having sex with another. Or that one's own body is accountable for sexual sins as well.

Premis one is reffering to what paul said about sexual sin which never mentions masterbation
Masturbation is having sex with one's self, is it not? Paul stated that sexual sins apply to one's body, so yes, you are commiting homosexuality, adultery, and pre-martial sex....... with yourself.

The second premis is completely incorrect because it is based on pure assumption
All 3 things I listed are sins in the bible. I linked it earlier, in a biblical list of sexual sins

It was not off topic. I gave you 4 quotes, and they are still dropped

I'm sorry if I was not clear, I meant a person starts thinking sexual thoughts first which gets them aroused then they masterbate while thinking the sexual thoughts
This sentence not only doesn't make sense, but is once again wrong. You are touching your groin, while watching, looking at, or thinking of a object or person of lust.

Once again doing something none sinful with something sinful does not make a none sinful thing automatically sinful.
You are not trolling, correct?

it is a sin to kill people not to drive a car
I told you that something is only a part of the sin, if it is inherent in the sin. I also don't think it is a sin to accidentally kill someone, but I may be wrong. Driving a car isn't inherent in every killing in history. Lust, sexual immorality, loath, and idolatry are inherent in masturbation.

This is getting silly

My opponents arguments were rambling, incomprehensible blabber. The arguments showed that he didn't fully understand how masturbation works, or how it is done. It was also readily apparent that my opponent dropped 4 quotes I affirmed for claiming masturbation as a sin. They have now been affirmed. The BOP has not been filled, and literrally no intellectual understanding has resulted from this debate. Best of luck to my opponent in future debates.
Posted by debatability 3 years ago
debatability
if i don't vote on this within a couple days, one of you remind me
Posted by ChosenWolff 3 years ago
ChosenWolff
As long as you're not trying to receive sexual pleasure. If Kate Upton came up to you topless, and started twerking on you, as long as you don't lust for her, you're not sinning.
Posted by ChosenWolff 3 years ago
ChosenWolff
Is the man being forced to jack off as well?
Posted by HardAssJack 3 years ago
HardAssJack
RE your argument:
"Masturbation is done when the person is aroused or has sexual thoughts and possibly watches porn
This is known as lust, and its a sin. Masturbation requires the act of lust, therefore masturbation is a sin."

What if a man is forced to watch porn?
Is that a sin too?
Posted by Agnostic_Meatatarian 3 years ago
Agnostic_Meatatarian
Exact passage in the bible please.
Posted by DuhTruth 3 years ago
DuhTruth
Well it does say something about man shal not let his seed touch the grownd... as in well u know...
Posted by KhalifV 3 years ago
KhalifV
P1) My mind is the only mind
P2) In my mind the bible does not say masturbation is a sin
P3) In no mind in the bible is masturbation a sin
C) In the bible masturbation is not a sin
Wolff's argument is negated by solipsism lol:)
Vote Placed by dwmiller 3 years ago
dwmiller
Agnostic_MeatatarianChosenWolffTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con was somewhat rude at time in his approach, so conduct to pro. Pro really never refuted the verses laid out by con. Also con, most see Onan as Coitus Interruptus, not masturbation. There is a difference in the medical field.
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 3 years ago
9spaceking
Agnostic_MeatatarianChosenWolffTied
Reasons for voting decision: con was a bit mean but he managed to rebut pro's arguments quite well
Vote Placed by Preston 3 years ago
Preston
Agnostic_MeatatarianChosenWolffTied
Reasons for voting decision: I feel con proved pro didn't fulfill BOP but was a little crude in doing so, pro gets conduct wolff gets arguments.
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 3 years ago
dsjpk5
Agnostic_MeatatarianChosenWolffTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con was crude, so conduct to Pro. Pro misspelled the key word in his resolution, so s and g to Con. Con offered biblical evidence that negated the resolution, so arguments to him.