Ariesz
brainFreeze

Materialism is the bet way to pursue happiness

Ariesz

Ariesz

Pro

Round 1-Acceptance, Round 2-Cases, Round 3-Rebuttals, Round 4-Defense
Materialism- a tendency to consider material possessions and physical comfort as more important than spiritual values.
Pursue-follow (someone or something) in order to catch
Happy-feeling or showing pleasure or contentment:
I will be arguing that materialism is the best way to achieve happiness. My opponent will argue that there are more negative effects of materialism than there are benefits.
brainFreeze

Con

I honor your request.

One thing I want to clarify is that that the term "Materialism" basically means that someone finds happiness in physical possessions like money etc and thinks to himself that nothing else can provide happiness right?
Ariesz

Pro

Materialism benefits everybody. If one is capable of acquiring physical comfort, than one should put all of his or her energy into acquiring that physical comfort. I would like to state that I believe that there is a low probability of there being an afterlife. I believe that we must live our lives we have now to the best of our potential. An afterlife though would be great.
-----------------------------------
Materialistic Examples-This argument is a compilation of products and devices that give people physical comfort. I will be arguing why this is beneficial considering the world we live in.
---------------------
Video Games-I noticed that someone in the comments stated that as a fellow gamer; they would completely agree with materialism. My opponent cannot underestimate the significance of gaming, because 217 million people around the world play video games. Why do people play video games? There are an abundant amount of answers that I could give. A simple answer would be that almost all gamers see games as a source of physical comfort. The escape video games offer is very comforting. It has been estimated that we spend 3 billion hours a week playing video games collectively. This a huge harm to people that are of the spiritual world. I would argue that materialism represents itself to the common man through video games. Gamers are obviously achieving more benefits from video games than spiritualism. I would ask my opponent these questions.
Why would the common man resort to spiritualism for happiness than video games?
Can you prove that spiritual values will even make a significant impact on the common man?
----------------------------------------------
Internet-I can basically argue that the internet itself is a physical comfort. The internet itself is a materialistic source. There are many sub-points that I could put on this example, but won't due to lack of characters. Again, what your going to find is that there is a large number of people that use the Internet. 2 billion people use the internet. I am just going to list the common websites that people visit for physical comfort.
-YouTube-Number of Videos people watch daily is 100,000,000
-Facebook-175 million people log in daily.
-Instagram- 100 million users log on daily.
-Porn-Pretty much everybody=http://www.bing.com......
Now, I will again ask the same questions.
Why would the common man resort to spiritualism for happiness than the Internet?
-------------------------------
Money-People will usually assume that the height of practicing materialism is when one is very rich. This might be true, but there are a lot of advantages that come with money.
Advantages:
-Financial freedom
-Holidays anywhere
-A great home
-Funding for your pastimes and passions
-Good suits
-Great health care
-A swimming pool full of girls in bikinis
-Gold teeth
Now, I know my opponent would use the argument that money does not make you happy. But, does having little to no money make you happy either? Is being in the middle class offer any happiness? As human beings, it is only natural for us to keep aiming higher. I also think the idea of being rich has been over-hyped by the "American Dream". Can my opponent really dispute that being wealthy does not benefit your stability in life? It does offer stability. Wealth does give you leisure time to discover what gives you physical comfort.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spiritualism-
First let me define what spiritualism is.
Spiritualism is a belief that spirits of the dead have both the ability and the inclination to communicate with the living.
One can be spiritual by embracing the common values that religions offer. I will also accept the association of humanism with spiritualism.
Here is a list of spiritual values.
-Self-understanding
-Integrity
-Diversity
-Honesty
-Uncertainty
-Discernment
-Novelty
-Humility
-Holism
-Synthesis
All of these values seem beneficial at first. But, how realistic are they is my question, and main attack on spiritual values.
Novelty, humility, and honesty are all idealistic for the human being. Materialists can also practice these values in order to maintain order in our social lives. But, how can one really practice these values. I will be arguing that the common man cannot possible execute these values to the level of proficiency a Buddhist in Asia can.
------------------
Humans are naturally selfish. One can observe throughout evolution that the common theme and survival of our race was off of selfishness. Our race hunted and killed animals. We built tools that made us efficient in this task. We started to evolve. Our ambition made us discover new areas in the world. Humans split up into different areas in the world. This is also in recent history that we have accomplished this. One can look at the endless conquests humans have done. The Persians, Romans, Arabs, Mongols, French, British, and German conquests all reflect who we are. Humanity holds traits that are itself materialistic. Humans want physical comfort. It is engrained in our DNA.
I have provided statistics in this debate that prove people do look towards materialism as a source through happiness. The common man in the status quo pursues happiness through video games, the internet, and money.

http://www.thecultureist.com...
http://techcrunch.com...
https://answers.yahoo.com...
http://www.ted.com...
http://www.bing.com...
brainFreeze

Con

First of all,
Thank you for challenging me in this debate.

Before I put forth my arguments I want to ask everyone a question.
"Can money or physical comfort buy anything you want in life?"

Happiness is like a vast ocean that sometimes creates high tides and storms and sometimes a pleasant sound of breeze based on what their surrounding has to offer.

Happiness is not bound by materialism and has so many factors that determine your happiness,
Some common factors are:
1.Good physical and mental health.
2.Good personal and intimate relationships, such as those of marriage, the family, and friendships.
3.The faculty for perceiving beauty in art and nature.
4.Reasonable standards of living and satisfactory work.
5.A philosophic or religious point of view capable of coping successfully with the vicissitudes of life.

Since, we have different kinds of people and all of them are unique in their own way. Their definition of happiness is different.

For example:
My definition to pursue happiness is to have a good house (MATERIALISTIC), good and healthy family, a good job with a good environment in a reputable company (EMOTIONS), and finally INNER PEACE.

At the end of the day all I want is food, shelter, family and PEACE of MIND. Without these I won't be happy.

No one can pursue happiness without peace of mind which only comes through YOGA which is a part of spiritualism as well. Not completely but a part of it.

Spiritualism may bring happiness to some but may not be for some. Depends from person to person.

Now let's say you have a good house, good car, good money but NO FRIENDS to hangout with, TOO MUCH WORK PRESSURE, YOU ARE DIVORCED, EVENTUALLY U WILL LOSE PEACE OF MIND, THEN LOSE THE JOB.

Would you still be happy?
Ariesz

Pro

I would like to again thank my opponent for accepting this debate. Before I start my rebuttal, I would like to state that almost everything my opponent has stated is true to an extent. The main points my rebuttal will highlight the alternative to materialism. The resolution states "Materialism is the best way to pursue happiness". I would like to add that just because a philosophy might have its problems does not mean that it isn't the best way to pursue happiness. There are other philosophies that the individuals my opponent listed could have tried out, and failed to receive any happiness.

I would first like to add evidence of countries that are spiritually inclined, and believe that spiritualism is the best way to achieve happiness. There are 151 countries analyzed in this research
1. Brazil=21th happiest country in the world.

2. Peru-24th happiest country in the world.

3. Kenya-98th happiest country in the world.

4. Iraq-36th happiest country in the world.

5. Romania-75th happiest country in the world.

6. Macedonia- 140th happiest country in the world.

7.Fiji-Unkown

8. Armenia- 121st happiest country in the world.

9. Nigeria- 103rd happiest country in the world.

10. Ghana-Unknown
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now, I will give the top ten materialistic countries, and their happiness.
1. Denmark- 1st happiest country.

2. Switzerland-2nd happiest country.

3. Iceland- 3rd happiest country

4. Norway. 4th happiest country.

5. Finland- 5th happiest country.

6. Canada- 6th happiest country.

7. Netherlands-8th happiest country.

8. Sweden- 10th happiest country.

9. United States- 13th happiest country.

10. Germany- 16th happiest country.
One can judge the evidence here, and clearly see that materialistic countries outperform spiritual countries.
Rebuttal:
"Happiness is not bound by materialism and has so many factors that determine your happiness,
Some common factors are:
1.Good physical and mental health.
5.A philosophic or religious point of view capable of coping successfully with the vicissitudes of life."
All of these standards are perfectly compatible with materialism. My opponent does not provide any evidence that supports the idea of materialism badly effecting these values. Therefore, these claims should be deemed as null
---------------------------------------------------------
"At the end of the day all I want is food, shelter, family and PEACE of MIND. Without these I won't be happy."
Will spiritual values insure this, or a motivation to acquire physical benefits. Food, shelter, and family are usually all insured by the drive of making money. This claim does not attack materialism.

"Spiritualism may bring happiness to some but may not be for some. Depends from person to person."
It depends from person to person. I agree, but than I have to ask my opponent this question.
Why is it that materialism clicks more with the common man, than spiritualism. Look at the statistics I provided on my case. A great majority of people do activities that are inherently materialistic.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Now let's say you have a good house, good car, good money but NO FRIENDS to hangout with, TOO MUCH WORK PRESSURE, YOU ARE DIVORCED, EVENTUALLY U WILL LOSE PEACE OF MIND, THEN LOSE THE JOB."
My opponent cites no evidence claiming that materialism would cause this. I cannot take any of these claims seriously.
I want to offer my opponent these questions.
-Why is it that the most materialistic countries are the most happy?
-Why is it that usually more spiritual countries are more impoverished?
-Why is it that our American society is more inclined to materialism, and not spiritualism?
-Why is it that more than 80% of the richest people in the world are not inclined to spiritual values?
-What benefits does spiritualism have that outweigh materialism?
-Why is it that the average individual is able to click with materialism more than spiritualism in the western world?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Concluding statements:
My opponent cannot deny that throughout human history; we have proven to be very ambitious people. It is in our DNA to want more, and crave more. When a human acquires what they wanted; it is scientifically proven that domain in the brain is released causing positive feelings to arrive. It makes sense that the countries that were built off of a materialistic foundation are more happier than the spiritual countries that base their governments off of spiritual values. America, Britain, Denmark, Norway, and Switzerland all receive benefits that the people in spiritual countries will never receive. I ask my opponent this final question.
Would you rather live in a spiritual country like Ghana, or live in a western country with advanced technology that the people in Ghana cannot even comprehend.
------------------------------
http://www.happyplanetindex.org...
http://www.happyplanetindex.org...
http://www.happyplanetindex.org...
http://www.happyplanetindex.org...
http://www.happyplanetindex.org...
https://www.armradio.am...
http://www.thecountriesof.com...
brainFreeze

Con

brainFreeze forfeited this round.
Ariesz

Pro

Extend all points.
brainFreeze

Con

brainFreeze forfeited this round.
Posted by brainFreeze 9 months ago
brainFreeze
Yo,

Can you define happiness for me?

I want to know what does "happiness" mean to you?

Like a big house, good cars etc etc. or is it something else
Vote Placed by Ockham 9 months ago
Ockham
ArieszbrainFreezeTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct goes to Pro because Con forfeited multiple rounds. Pro's arguments were more convincing because Con failed to address Pro's points in the second round about video games, the internet, and money, and Con dropped all of Pro's points in the third round since he didn't respond. Pro's sources were more reliable since Con did not provide any sources.