RevL8ion
stylishBOY

Math Debate #1

RevL8ion

RevL8ion

Pro

The title's pretty self-explanatory. Because I'm a whole lot better at mathematics than debating, and there's really nothing math-related here, I'd like to start perhaps the first math debate in all of DDO. Here are the rules.

Oh wait, first, I'd like to tell you to do something: Hold your tongue with your fingers and say "I like to math debate." If you know what I mean...anyway:

The first round is always acceptance only, and the opponent must be fairly proficient with mathematics (although I'm only thirteen :P). In each round, you must submit one mathematics problem in a certain level of difficulty for each level. Once I submit a problem, Con must do his best to solve it, with the answers and the work provided, and in turn, submit a problem for Pro, and vice versa for the next round. I will now state the level of difficulty for each round:

Round 2: Middle School Level - You can take any problem from a middle school textbook or a middle school level competition that is specifically meant for 6th-8th grade.

Round 3: Junior High Level - You can take any problem from a textbook or competition that is designated for 9th-10th grade.

Round 4: Senior High Level - You can take any problem from a textbook or competition that is designated for 11th-12th grade.

Round 5: Asian Level (lol) - You can use any problem you want, be it meant for preschoolers or doctorate mathematicians.

If the problem is too complex, then upload an image of it in your argument. I would highly recommend my opponent to take problems from http://www.artofproblemsolving.com... contains problems from the American Mathematics Competition and has problems in grades 8, 10, 12, and just a bunch of ridiculously hard ones, all of which can respectively correspond to rounds 2, 3, 4, and 5. You must make sure of the answer of the problem before you submit it to your opponent in order to confirm that he's right. NO CHEATING!!! If you do find my problem on the website above, and find the answer, you still must write your own work w/o copy/pasting, and must make sense. Each problem will be worth the number of points equal to the round number. That's pretty much it. I wish good luck to Con!
stylishBOY

Con

RevL8ion

Pro

Thanks to Con for his speedy acceptance! I will submit the first problem. And one more thing: omit all multiple choice answers so that it will be a free-response instead. I also noticed that I screwed up the URL, so here it is again: http://www.artofproblemsolving.com...

Round 2 Middle School Problem

A ball with diameter 4 inches starts at point A to roll along the track shown. The track is comprised of 3 semicircular arcs whose radii are R_1 = 100 inches, R_2 = 60 inches, and R_3 = 80 inches, respectively. The ball always remains in contact with the track and does not slip. What is the distance the center of the ball travels over the course from A to B?pair A,B;size(8cm);A=(0,0);B=(480,0);draw((0,0)--(480,0),linetype("3 4"));filldraw(circle((8,0),8),black);draw((0,0...
Yep, this is actually a legitimate middle school problem. Good luck to Con in solving this one; for the next three will be much, much harder!

stylishBOY

Con

The distance travelled by the center of the ball from A to B=circumference of 3 semicircular path formed followed by center of the ball. The radii of the semi circles will be 98,58 and 78 inches respectively. (Radius of path travelled by center of the ball = Radius of the track-radius of ball.

distance travelled by center= 3.14159265*(98+58+78)=735.13268 inches.

Here's your question:
Suppose a clock takes 7 seconds to strike7.
How long does it take for same clock to strike 10 ?
RevL8ion

Pro

It was close, but incorrect, Con. You were on the right track, but you forgot about one thing. If the radius of the ball is two, and it rolls along the semicircular arc R1, then R1 would lose four inches in diameter and two in radius because the ball rolls on from one end to another. R2 would GAIN two inches to its radius due to the ball rolling around it. Same for R3 as R1: it would lose two inches for the same reasons. Therefore, the actual answer is pi(98 + 62 + 78), which is simplified to simply 238pi. Here is the actual solution:

The radius of the ball is 2 inches. If you think about the ball rolling or draw a path for the ball (see figure below), you see that in A and C it loses 2\pi*2/2=2\pi inches, and it gains 2\pi inches on B.unitsize(0.04cm);import graph;draw(circle(96*dir(0),4),linewidth(1.3));draw(circle(96*dir(-45),4),linetype("4 4"));...
So, the departure from the length of the track means that the answer is \frac{200+120+160}{2}*\pi+(-2-2+2)*\pi=240\pi-2\pi=\boxed{\textbf{(A)}\ 238\pi}.

For now, Pro 0, Con 0. Now continuing to Con's problem. I was extremely tempted to just put 10 seconds and be done with it. And I almost did. Almost. But then I realized that the time starts from the first strike, which means the next six strikes took seven seconds. A clever trick from Con's part; and I almost fell for it. :P Anyway, that means each strike takes 7/6 seconds. So, (10-1)(7/6) = 63/6 = 10.5 seconds. Therefore, it takes the clock 10.5 seconds to strike 10. Now for the Junior High Problem.
Note: the answer WILL contain radicals.

Eight semicircles line the inside of a square with side length 2 as shown. What is the radius of the circle tangent to all of these semicircles?

scale(200);draw(scale(.5)*((-1,-1)--(1,-1)--(1,1)--(-1,1)--cycle));path p = arc((.25,-.5),.25,0,180)--arc((-.25,-.5),.25,0,18...

stylishBOY

Con

stylishBOY forfeited this round.
RevL8ion

Pro

I will assume that Con has given up on the problem, and that the first problem is right, so Pro 1, Con 0. Because of the conditions of the rules, I will not post another problem on Con's back. I will await Con's response to my problem.
stylishBOY

Con

Sorry gentleman.. Exams going on. Sorry for the inconvinience.
RevL8ion

Pro

Con forfeited. It's a shame, really. Vote Pro.
stylishBOY

Con

stylishBOY forfeited this round.
Posted by UndeniableReality 2 years ago
UndeniableReality
Awesome idea for a debate! I hope you do another.

By the way, @Domr, three of those aren't even types of math...
Posted by RevL8ion 2 years ago
RevL8ion
Oh believe me, I know. Still, if someone like me was president, there would have been three assaults on the White House, an air attack on the Air Force One, World War III, a zombie apocalypse, a conversion to anarchy, and the bombing of Fort Knox. :P
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
This is a generation that has trouble giving change at a cash register thanks to our government schools.

The answer is almost 2000 miles. I think you young folks should know what kind of debt the wizards of smart in Washington have saddled you with.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
Here is a hint. a billion is 1000 times a million. And a trillion is 1000 times a billion. And our national debt is about 18,000,000,000,000.00
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
Here is a math question. If you have a stack of $1000.00 bills 7 inches high, which would be 1 million dollars. How far would the national debt be.
Posted by Zarif_Zai94 2 years ago
Zarif_Zai94
Dammit! Why use imperial system!? Use the freakin meter for God's sake
Posted by RevL8ion 2 years ago
RevL8ion
Again, that would be way too easy. XD
Posted by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
I got a feeling that one of these two debaters, within "Asain level", is going to try to have their opponent prove Fermat's last theorem.
Posted by RevL8ion 2 years ago
RevL8ion
But that'd be way too easy. O__________o
Posted by Domr 2 years ago
Domr
Suggestion:

Instead of leaving it so open ended for certain grade levels, I would pick specific types of math.

Multiplication/division
Fractions
Geometry
Calculus
Proofs
Etc.
Vote Placed by dynamicduodebaters 2 years ago
dynamicduodebaters
RevL8ionstylishBOYTied
Vote Placed by imabench 2 years ago
imabench
RevL8ionstylishBOYTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit