thispersonisagenius
Arcolithe

Math is more important in the grand scheme of the universe than English.

thispersonisagenius

Pro

I believe, contrary to what a great deal of students today assert, that mathematics is extremely important to understanding the universe. Specifically, I find it to be much more useful than the English language as a whole, both in the real world and in school. If you do choose to debate this topic with me, be ready for a fairly long debate as well as about two days of waiting time for my posts, as I do have a very busy schedule as of now. Thanks for debating!
Arcolithe

Con

I'd like to start off with one very simple argument. You can't teach Math without a language (English in this case.) [1] I am looking forward to your short and concise response!
thispersonisagenius

Pro

I apologize for being too specific with the prompt. In place of English in particular, please base your arguments off of the concept of "language" in general.

That said, I find mathematics to be much more important than language because mathematics (hereafter shortened to "math" for concision) can exist without language, while the opposite is not true.

When our universe was created (by any method, be it the Big Bang Theory or whatever you choose to believe), math was already in effect several orders of magnitude in years ahead of language. Mathematics, as has been shown by modern science, determined the rate of expansion of the universe as well as the later formation of stars, planets, moons, etc. Mathematics and its applications in physics resulted in the formation of the settings on Earth allowing for human life to be created, and consequently language. Clearly, mathematics is more important in the grand scheme of the universe than language, as it arose earlier and therefore had a more widespread effect on the workings of the universe.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As a side note, your last sentence is a bit redundant, as "short" and "concise" have the exact same meaning in the context you are using them. I look forward to your response!
Arcolithe

Con

Arcolithe forfeited this round.
thispersonisagenius

Pro

thispersonisagenius forfeited this round.
Arcolithe

Con

Arcolithe forfeited this round.
thispersonisagenius

Pro

Do I claim the automatic victory because Arcolithe forfeited two rounds (I forfeited one, but he still forfeited more than me :) )? If so, good debate, albeit rather one-sided.
Arcolithe

Con

Arcolithe forfeited this round.
Posted by thispersonisagenius 4 years ago
thispersonisagenius
adontimasu, you are limiting your perception of the concept of math to a set of symbols and manipulations of these symbols. Mathematics was present since the dawn of time, as its principles took effect in real time without necessarily being expressed with specific symbols. These symbols were created along with language to give a more understandable meaning of an abstract concept to people, and they most definitely were NOT created at the same time as mathematics itself.
Posted by adontimasu 4 years ago
adontimasu
Not really, since math in and of itself has a defined language that is necessary for performing it: that is to say, numbers, operators, derivatives, limits, and other incredibly useful mathematical principles that cannot exist or be shared without a language to do it.
Posted by StevenDixon 4 years ago
StevenDixon
Change it to language and you have yourself a debate.