Pence27
threadandneedle

Math is more important than English Language Arts

Pence27

Pro

I will start off with stating the obvious. Math is essential to any REAL job in the world. I understand basic grammar such as: "I is gooder then you is" to "I am better than you are." If you want to be successful in life and have a family, you must have a decent job to support your family. Math is important to most REAL degrees excluding teaching to get a job in the world.
threadandneedle

Con

Where would we be without the English language? In America, the English language is citizens' primary form of communication. It gets things done. Say you are on the brink of death from malnourishment. Because we have the English language, you can go to the grocery store and tell an employee working there, "I want to buy [insert food of choice here]."

You know that you want something to eat, but you need to know how much it costs in order to pay for it. The cashier scans the item and tells you, "that's going to be one dollar." Yes, there is a number in that sentence, and that's math, but if you didn't understand the word "dollar", you wouldn't understand that they wanted one dollar bill instead of one penny or one quarter. Plus, you couldn't understand the sentence the cashier spoke if you didn't comprehend English.

In my high school English class, no one ever asks the teacher, "when are we going to use this in life?" Almost everyone can see when and how knowledge of the English language is valuable to life after school. But it's different with math. In math class, the question "when are we going to use this in life?" comes up on almost a daily basis. That's because math isn't used in many aspects of life. For example, nobody express emotions with numbers. No one says, "I'm feeling the square root of x today."

Here's another example. You can ask someone handing out $100 bills, "may I have some money please?" Because of the wonders of the English language, they'll know you want money, and presumably will give you some. But if you walk up to them with "45 x 2 = 90" written on a napkin (remember, no spoken communication) and show them that equation, then they'll only know that you want them to understand that 45 x 2 = 90. What would you rather have: at least $100, or a napkin with the product of 45 and 2 written on it?

Math might be the universal language, but English as a language gets more done for the people who use it. Thanks.

Pence27

Pro

I was speaking of this on more of an educational standard. The foundation of the your language is taught mostly from your parents. If the teacher had to teach you to learn English, how would you learn other subjects? Teachers definetly improve your speaking in your language, but it is not as important as the most universal language, math.

After stating what was previously said, I can move on to my next point. Jobs. There can be many jobs for English Language Arts but NOT NEARLY as much as math. Math is used to solve world problems, such as building new machines and advancing technology.

Your language is only used by people who know YOUR LANGUAGE. Communication throughout the world may be troublesome if you want to solve problems that way. I would also like you to speak more on the Language Arts. Thanks!
threadandneedle

Con

But in English, you need to know what complex words mean and know how to have complete sentences.

If you have a job interview and don't know how to SPELL or not having a well-made sentences/ paragraphs you WILL NOT get the job you want.
Posted by threadandneedle 11 months ago
threadandneedle
Tieeeeeeeee
Posted by threadandneedle 11 months ago
threadandneedle
Halloooo
Posted by whiteflame 11 months ago
whiteflame
*******************************************************************
>Reported vote: DarkPoet// Mod action: Removed<

5 points to Con (Conduct, S&G, Arguments). Reasons for voting decision: Con had the best overall argument. However neither side used any sources.

[*Reason for removal*] (1) The voter doesn"t explain conduct or S&G. (2) Arguments are insufficiently explained. The voter is required to specifically assess arguments made by both debaters. Merely restating the point allocation is not an RFD.
************************************************************************
Posted by Trump27 11 months ago
Trump27
Arguments were close but I'd have to agree with math. The ability to talk, read and write can be learned out of school and for the most part are. ELA is definitely important in improving your language and communication abilities, but should not take priority over math. Mathematics is more useful after school and has more components to learn. As pro said, it is a universal language and I think is the most important subject to learn in school.
Posted by Pence27 11 months ago
Pence27
By the way, all voters ELA does not include the abilities to talk read and write.
Posted by threadandneedle 11 months ago
threadandneedle
lol
Posted by Pence27 11 months ago
Pence27
Lololo jk
Posted by Pence27 11 months ago
Pence27
I'm only 13 my EMOTIONS ARE SO WEIRD ahhhh
Posted by Pence27 11 months ago
Pence27
Ummm
Posted by threadandneedle 11 months ago
threadandneedle
I'm glad you won't ;)))
Vote Placed by DboPoint 11 months ago
DboPoint
Pence27threadandneedleTied
Reasons for voting decision: It's a close call, but if I had to choose one I would pick math. With rise of importance of technology math is a key skill for the kids to help them create a better technology formour future.