Naustics
Maikuru

Math should not be though in high school.

Maikuru

Naustics

Pro

In my opinion math should not be though in the high school level. Only if the student is interested in pursuing a career in engineering, architecture, scientist, doctor, or even a math teacher. Because in the school curriculum today students need 2-3 mandatory credits in order to graduate and it is a complete waist of time if they do not plan on pursuing a career on the above occupation. Because they 8 years you spent in grade 1-8 should be enough math for you to manage your life with out getting rip off at a store or getting cheat out of your money or any other situation that will force you to use math.
Maikuru

Con

I'd like to thank Naustics for bringing up this interesting topic and wish him luck in his first debate.

First, a clarification about the resolution:

"In my opinion math should not be though in the high school level."
"Only if the student is interested in pursuing a career in engineering, architecture, scientist, doctor, or even a math teacher."

Though this is a contradiction, I think it's clear my opponent intends to argue that math should be taught only as an elective. If this is an incorrect assumption, I encourage my opponent to clarify next round. Until then, I will argue that math should remain a mandatory high school course in public schools. Due to familiarity, I will be referring to U.S. schools unless otherwise stated.

Thanks for your patience, now to the debate!

::Opponent's Arguments::

1. Math Only Useful for Certain Careers

Claiming high school math is only necessary for a handful of careers is a gross underestimation of math's importance in society. Given the boom in careers in science, technology, computers, and the internet, advanced mathematics is an increasingly dominant requirement for today's most desirable positions. In fact, when 200 jobs were compared in terms of "stress, physical demands, hiring outlook, compensation and work environment," 8 of the 10 best jobs required advance math skills (the #1 job was actually mathematician) [1]. Ironically, none of the 10 worst jobs listed focused on math skills [2].

2. Basic Math is Sufficient

Pro's claim that basic math skills are enough for those not interested in a math-related career calls into question the usefulness of high schools at all. After all, why continue studying science in high school if you plan on being a CEO? What use is social studies to a student who wants to be a chef or a doctor? Non-specialized high schools are structured in a way that provides a broad range of knowledge from various fields. The restrictions on math Pro suggests could be applied to any high school subject, resulting in severely limited foundational knowledge and defeating the purpose of generalized high schools.

::Con's Arguments::

1. High School Math Increases Future Possibilities

By stating that math should only be given to students who want to pursue related fields, Pro assumes that high school students' interests will remain the same later in their education. Take, for example, a high school student intent on becoming a writer. By Pro's logic, this individual would not be required to take mathematics in high school and could move on to college knowing only basic arithmetic. Unfortunately, should this student decide to switch their focus to science or engineering, he or she would be hopelessly behind in terms of their mathematics understanding. Add in the fact that most universities and numerous college majors require a strong math background and a student's future choices can quickly become limited by early, uninformed, and immature choices.

2. Keeping Students Competitive Globally

The U.S. already suffers globally from a comparatively small number of talented math students, particularly females [3]. Limiting math in our schools only increases this educational gap and threatens a national decline in technological and scientific advancement. The importance of strong math education in this regard is apparent so I'll refrain from elaborating further.

::Conclusion::

Of the five core subjects taught in most high schools (i.e. math, English, science, social studies, and physical education [4]), math is second possibly only to English in terms of overall usefulness and necessity in today's job market. To remove or even limit it in our high schools detriments students strongly; students will be unable to obtain our country's most desirably careers, will be limited in terms of future educational prospects, and will have difficulty competing in today's global market.

I thank Naustics again and await his reply.

::References::

1. http://www.careercast.com...
2. http://www.careercast.com...
3. http://graphics8.nytimes.com...
4. http://en.wikipedia.org...
Naustics

Pro

Naustics forfeited this round.
Maikuru

Con

Unfortunate but not exactly surprising. My arguments stand.
Naustics

Pro

Naustics forfeited this round.
Maikuru

Con

My opponent was online in time to post an argument but still nothing. Disappointing...

Anyway, my opponent has forfeited twice and my arguments still stand. Vote Con.
Posted by untitled_entity 7 years ago
untitled_entity
Point noted McBain
Posted by McBain 7 years ago
McBain
At the very least click spell check should be taught, thought not always infallible.
Posted by MTGandP 7 years ago
MTGandP
After perhaps English, math is the most important subject to learn. Many science classes are useful, while others are not. And I don't see history as particularly useful, especially here in Texas where we learn Texas history every year of elementary school.
Posted by untitled_entity 7 years ago
untitled_entity
English should be TAUGHT as well. You should take it.
Posted by mongoose 7 years ago
mongoose
and
the > they
scientist > science
math teacher > teaching
with out > without
Posted by alto2osu 7 years ago
alto2osu
Oh dear...I think more of all the core subjects is desperately needed for today's youth.
Posted by RoyLatham 7 years ago
RoyLatham
Pro makes a good case that not enough English is being taught, per

though > taught
waist > waste
occupation > occupations
rip > ripped
cheat > cheated
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 7 years ago
RoyLatham
NausticsMaikuruTied
Vote Placed by ToastOfDestiny 7 years ago
ToastOfDestiny
NausticsMaikuruTied
Vote Placed by Maikuru 7 years ago
Maikuru
NausticsMaikuruTied