Maths is taught badly at school

Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner

I agree with the statement "maths is taught badly at school" and will provide reasons why I think this while Con will argue why maths is taught well at school

I'd like a civil debate,

Good luck

I agree to this competition. May the best debater win... which might be you... O_O

Thanks for accepting this debate, I'm sure you are curious why I think maths is taught badly.

There is no particular teaching style that's preferred [1], and this is because the fairest way to ensure you receive a good education is by being taught in different ways. Some teachers may challenge you more than others, some may make the subject more fun etc. This is why you will usually have a new teacher each year

I'm not going to argue that children should be taught a topic to the full extent, I accept we have to learn things gradually by starting with something simpler such as plane trigonometry and progressing to spherical trigonometry at a later time.

Below is a list of some topics from the top of my head which I believe are taught badly.

1) Trigonometry

Students should be taught how to calculate the smaller legs of right angle triangles first without using Pythagoras theorem.

Students should be taught how to calculate the legs of any angled triangle without using trigonometric functions.

Proofs should be taught first, not last, or if you are lucky.

2) Times tables

After spending hours remembering each time table you stand up in front of your class and then start counting in 8's or whatever. What happens when you forget what 6 x 7 is? Do you guess? If you think 'ooh I know what 6 x 7 is' and write down an answer without thinking, sure it's quick, but that method is not mathematical, and leads to mistakes, yet it's still taught, children might even have to learn their 12 and 13 times table.

3) Prime numbers

When I was a child I was shown a table resembling a snakes and ladders board (numbered from 1-100), and every prime number on it was highlighted for us, we didn't have to calculate them or understand what they were exactly, we just had to remember a definition, and to this day I don't why everyone must know about them.

4) Angles

How can children understand angles when they use semi circle or full circle protractors? It's ridiculous.

Note: It's been a long time since I was at school, so Cons's memory will be more reliable than mine on this.

I look forward to hearing back, ad please free to add more topics, thanks

CommunistDog forfeited this round.

I would have liked to debate this, oh well. Please vote for me

CommunistDog forfeited this round.
Posted by mostlogical 1 year ago
Thanks for your comments, I totally understand that there are a lot of different things a student can get out of a maths lesson. A good outcome given the number of teachers students have would be to gain a mixture of things, but above all a good understanding of maths by the time they finish school, this means knowing what it can be used for.
Posted by homunculus 1 year ago
What, are we assuming, is the desired end result from an education in maths? Is it to further an interest in the subject? To teach basic problem solving skills? To provide enough mathematical ability to get by in life? To know if the teaching of the subject is poor, I think it's important to agree on what a good outcome of this education would be.
Posted by vi_spex 1 year ago
numbers are limited, language is simplified math