madams1963
LR4N6FTW4EVA

McCain for President

madams1963

Pro

The polls after the 2nd Presidential Debate are saying Obama won. I agree he won if you are voting for who comes across as being the most charismatic. I'm not voting for the person who speaks best in front of others. I'm voting the best person to lead this country. It's funny that we hear how inexperienced Palin is but it is okay that Obama doesn't have all the foreign affairs experience that McCain may have.

McCain --I believe will do what he says. He has proven he has character. He has proven that he isn't worried about pleasing Republicans just because he is in the Republican Party. He doesn't have a problem with disagreeing or working with them if he supports the same cause.

We hear the catch phrase that character matters, but it seems many want to forget about the people Obama's been involved with. If that doesn't show his character than what does.

I know all of us are thinking about the ecomony, but if we were attacked tomorrow, by terrorists or other radical organizations, who would you want to lead us.

It's funny that we want people to be honest, but we focus on the stupidest things, like when McCain said "that one" in reference to Obama. Does that really matter. Both candidates are guilty of this type of pettiness.

I believe we are still terribly vulnerable to terrorist attacks and I want the most qualified man to lead our country. If we get taken out by terrorists, we will have more to worry about than the ecomony-which I too believe is a major issue.

But think about it for a minute. World history tells us that great nations are taken down. Why do we think we can't be the next. I want my kids and grandchildren not to forget that we must be a force of good. Not just for our children but for other people being victimized. If we were the victimized in Iraq under the dictatorship of Saddam, wouldn't you want someone to help you?

McCain sees things straight forward--if we stop looking at style and start looking at substance, you might see who makes sense. We need to stop thinking about ourselves all the time.
LR4N6FTW4EVA

Con

To preface: I love McCain. I want him to win. But I will play Devil's Advocate for this debate.

I will first make my case:

Contention 1: McCain is very old.
McCain's age may lead to several problems if he is elected. First, as was the case with Ronald Reagan, an age-related disease may affect his ability to lead. Reagan suffered from the early stages of Alzheimer's, McCain could do the same. Also, McCain has had melanoma, a very deadly cancer multiple times. If he gets it again, he may die in office, destabilizing the nation. Also, if he died, Palin would become president, and she is an idiot, and couldn't save the economy if her life depended on it.

Contention 2: Economic Experience
John McCain knows nothing about the economy. He has said so himself multiple times. He is also obsessed with the "battle" between "Main Street" and "Wall Street." This creates a false dichotomy, and will lead to policies that hurt the economy in order to "fight" for "Main Street." Seeing as we are on the brink of the next Great Depression, I strongly recommend against voting for this man.

Contention 3: Foreign Policy Skills
John McCain will lead us to war. He, much like Bush, is unwilling to negotiate with our enemies, and follows a mantra of shoot first, questions later. This mantra is what lead us to our current situation in Iraq. We don't need more Iraqs, and that's what we'll get with McCain. The lack of skill in diplomacy that McCain shows is frightening.

Rebuttal:
"He has proven he has character. He has proven that he isn't worried about pleasing Republicans just because he is in the Republican Party. He doesn't have a problem with disagreeing or working with them if he supports the same cause."

He may be a good guy, I don't deny that. But I know a lot of good guys, none of whom would I ever elect to the office of president.

"I know all of us are thinking about the ecomony, but if we were attacked tomorrow, by terrorists or other radical organizations, who would you want to lead us."

We are more likely to be attacked today than we were before 9/11. I would want a president that won't reuse Bush's failed strategies in their response to the attack like McCain would.

"I believe we are still terribly vulnerable to terrorist attacks and I want the most qualified man to lead our country. If we get taken out by terrorists, we will have more to worry about than the ecomony-which I too believe is a major issue."

That's because of the Bush Doctrine, and McCain still follows it. Also, the economy is much more important than terror right now. If a terrorist attacks, we might lose 3000 American lives, but if the economy fails, I guarantee you it will be much more. The economy is much more likely to fail than a terrorist attack is to occur.

"But think about it for a minute. World history tells us that great nations are taken down. Why do we think we can't be the next. I want my kids and grandchildren not to forget that we must be a force of good. Not just for our children but for other people being victimized. If we were the victimized in Iraq under the dictatorship of Saddam, wouldn't you want someone to help you?"

John McCain will not keep our nation from losing hegemony. Like I said, he follows the Bush Doctrine, which is probably the biggest reason our hegemony is so diminished currently. Also, I would want someone to get rid of Saddam if he was victimizing me, but not if they made life worse, like we did.

Vote for someone besides McCain.
madams1963

Pro

madams1963 forfeited this round.
LR4N6FTW4EVA

Con

My opponent forfeited.
madams1963

Pro

madams1963 forfeited this round.
LR4N6FTW4EVA

Con

Forfeiture means I win.
madams1963

Pro

madams1963 forfeited this round.
LR4N6FTW4EVA

Con

Forfeiture means I win.
madams1963

Pro

madams1963 forfeited this round.
LR4N6FTW4EVA

Con

Voters, you know what to do.
Posted by HandsOff 8 years ago
HandsOff
Can you imagine if we only spent what we could afford. What a concept: no social programs we cannot sustain, no wars we cannot afford. I know it seems hard for a liberal or a republican to grasp, but it is possible, and Palin knows so.
Posted by HandsOff 8 years ago
HandsOff
$9 Trillion is idiocy that eclipse anything she could bring forth. If she can balance a budget, I'll take the good and the bad. Any bad will likely be perceived as spending cuts, which isn't bad at all if we were never in a position to spend the money to begin with.
Posted by LR4N6FTW4EVA 8 years ago
LR4N6FTW4EVA
You know what her economic plan is? Healthcare and job creation, all under the umbrella of job creation.
That's idiocy, not common sense.
Posted by HandsOff 8 years ago
HandsOff
"You have to have a rudimentary understanding of the way government works in order to run it. She doesn't."

LR4,
I'd say she has at least that, since she is governor of Alaska. In the executive catagory, she has much more experience than Obama. Let's just hope it hasn't ruinned her. But again, I'm not saying that's so important. In this economic environment, a common-sense understanding of monetary policy is even more important than experience and formal education.
Posted by Lightkeeper 8 years ago
Lightkeeper
madams,

Please say you forfeited because you got so busy with life that you simply overlooked the due time for round 2
Posted by LR4N6FTW4EVA 8 years ago
LR4N6FTW4EVA
You have to have a rudimentary understanding of the way government works in order to run it. She doesn't.
Posted by HandsOff 8 years ago
HandsOff
No twenty-something journalist is going to convince me formal education is more important than life's lessons. A formal education comes in handy, but without common sense it is simply dangerous. Look at Obama-- great education, but he thinks socialism is better than freedom.
Posted by LR4N6FTW4EVA 8 years ago
LR4N6FTW4EVA
"I think we need a commoner in the white house. These Ivy leaguers don't have the common sense needed to know you can't spend more than you bring in, and spending should be predicated on funds becoming available as a result of reasonable taxation (versus unreasonable taxation and borrowing). That's all common sense. Living within one's means is something hard-working folks (as opposed highly-ecudated folks) have been handing down from generation to generation. I'll take common sense over eduation any day. I'm not interested in one's ability to answer trivia questions from Katie Couric or Alex Trebek. Smart econics is not rocket science. It's a matter of ideogoly."

There's a great Newsweek article you should read. Go to a newsstand, it's the cover story in the latest issue. Education is much more important than being a commoner. We need educated people in the office. Not uneducated ones.
Posted by HandsOff 8 years ago
HandsOff
"If he gets it again, he may die in office, destabilizing the nation. Also, if he died, Palin would become president, and she is an idiot…"

I think we need a commoner in the white house. These Ivy leaguers don't have the common sense needed to know you can't spend more than you bring in, and spending should be predicated on funds becoming available as a result of reasonable taxation (versus unreasonable taxation and borrowing). That's all common sense. Living within one's means is something hard-working folks (as opposed highly-ecudated folks) have been handing down from generation to generation. I'll take common sense over eduation any day. I'm not interested in one's ability to answer trivia questions from Katie Couric or Alex Trebek. Smart econics is not rocket science. It's a matter of ideogoly.
Posted by Lightkeeper 8 years ago
Lightkeeper
JBlake,
We both know that presidential candidates don't have character. They're all just out to manipulate their way to the oval thingy :P
Vote Placed by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
madams1963LR4N6FTW4EVATied
Reasons for voting decision: FF. I personally rather liked McCain, but my bias doesn't actually support pro's failing.