McDonalds(pro) or chipotle(con)?

Started: 12/1/2014 Category: Sports

Chipoltle is better for 3 reasons
1.quality of food
2.customizable food
3.McDonalds marketing targets specifically children, chipotle does not.

I accept this debate. As my opponent has provided no definitions, I will:

1) of superior quality or excellence
2) morally superior; more virtuous

3) of superior suitability, advisability, desirability,acceptableness, etc.; preferable

Therefore my opponent must show that Chipotle is of superior quality, more virtuous, and more desirealbe than McDonald's.

Good luck!

McDonalds...a family friendly place with cheap but tasty food. Its perfectly fine for all to eat...or is it?
McDonalds, one of the biggest fast-food chains(If not the biggest) has one of some of the worse quality food ever. But how can I prove this is true? Well, let me show you exactly...

McDonalds French fries taste good, but actually are very damaging to the human body. Here is EXACTLY what kind of ingredients are in a McDonalds fry. "Potatoes, canola oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, safflower oil, natural flavour (vegetable source), dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate (maintain colour), citric acid (preservative), dimethylpolysiloxane (antifoaming agent) and cooked in vegetable oil (Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with THBQ, citric acid and dimethylpolysiloxane) and salt (silicoaluminate, dextrose, potassium iodide)." ---
First---Potatoes. Seems normal so far.
Second---Canola Oil (Hydrogenated) (Hydrogenated oils cause significant damage to the artery's.
Third---Hydrogenated Soybean Oil(GMO) (Hydrogenated)
Fourth---Safflower oil(Safflower oil may induce uterine contractions and start the onset of labor. It is therefore not recommended for use during pregnancy.)---
Fifth---Natural flavor (from a vegetable)
Six---Dextrose (a type of sugar...Do you really need sugar in a French fry?)
Seventh--- sodium acid pyrophosphate (maintain colour),( In leather treatment, it can be used to remove iron stains on hides during processing. Great.)
Eighth---citric acid (preservative), (A normal ingredient at least)
Ninth--- dimethylpolysiloxane (silly putty)
Tenth---and cooked in vegetable oil AGAIN(GMO) (Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil) (Anything Hydrogenated is harmful to your artery's)
Eleventh---THBQ, ( At higher doses, it has some negative health effects on lab animals, such as producing precursors to stomach tumors and damage to DNA.[6 ) That mean stomach CANCER.
DO I REALLY NEED TO CONTINUE. McDonalds food quality is horrible, and many of these ingredients can be found in their other foods (burgers, chicken nuggets) like THBQ and dimethylpolysiloxane (silly putty). McDonalds food is really bad for the human body. (Even McDonalds web says they have GMOs and Hydrogenated oils in their foods)
Chipotle on the other hand, has a decent standard for the quality of their food.
Here is a quote from the website. "
It means serving the very best sustainably raised food possible with an eye to great taste, great nutrition and great value.
It means that we support and sustain family farmers who respect the land and the animals in their care.
It means that whenever possible we use meat from animals raised without the use of antibiotics or added hormones.
And it means that we source organic and local produce when practical. And that we use dairy from cows raised without the use of synthetic hormones. Food With Integrity is a journey that started more than a decade ago and one that will never end. "
This food is actually good to consume. Chipotle has a much better quality to their food than McDonalds.

I will present my other arguments in the next round.

Until then, Good luck to you as well!

I'd like first off to thank my opponent for creating this debate. It is regarding a subject that I wish to become more educated in and I think I can achieve that through participating in this debate. As I displayed in R1, in order for my opponent to fulfill their BoP he must show that Chipotle is superior to McDonald's in all three of the definitions of 'better'. My task is to show that Chipotle is not superior in at least one of the categories. If I am successful in this, my opponent cannot win the debate. Let's begin!

1. Of superior quality or excellence

Chipotle prides itself for their 'fresh cooking' through using 'classic culinary techniques'. This would be presumed as a good thing, especially so over the evil corporation of McDonald's, right? Unfortunately, this claim is a lie. Chipotle heavily utilizes two processing companies based out of Chicago, OSI and Minot Holdings, to do a large amount of their cooking. The most troubling fact, however, is that OSI is the very same company that McDonald's relies on to produce its burgers, nuggets, and other items [1].

Therefore I would like to prevent my opponent from arguing that Chipotle has higher quality food. Because by saying so, he would be contradicting himself. Since the food for McDonald's and Chipotle come from the same places, or similar places, it can be presumed that the food itself is not particularly different in quality. The sole reason, or so I presume, for why McDonald's gets such a bad reputation is that they are a massive corporation and people generally tend to dislike corporations so powerful.

Another blemish on Chipotle's record is that their claim that the farthest that their food travels is 350 miles. Therefore their food is superior to other companies, such as McDonald's, because the food is more fresh and is under better care. This, unfortunately, is a lie as well. Many of the Chipotle's products, such as the carnitas, barbacoa, beans, and salsa bases, have all traveled through Chicago into the OSI and Minot Holdings companies, and then been shipped off to the stores. This means that not only is Chipotle blatantly lying about their food, it is likely of lower quality than we all presume.

One last disturbing fact is that Chipotle's food has large portions of trans fat and GMO's in them [2]. While personally I believe that their is nothing wrong with GMO's, it certainly matters to a lot of people whether or not their food has been genetically modified. The trans fat is a major issue as well as it is associated with increased cholesterol levels, chance of heart disease, and type two diabetes [3].

Taking all of this in mind, it would be hard to argue that Chipotle has superior food without a doubt compared to McDonald's. Admittedly I did not present any data for McDonald's, however I simply do not have enough characters. The point is that Chipotle is extremely hypocritical and they have been lying about the contents and origins of their food.

2. Morally superior, more virtuous

This section is a fundamental one for my argument. First off I will bash Chipotle's highly hypocritical claims about their business then I will compare them to McDonald's.

Chipotle prides itself on its values of animal rights. They claim that all their "...Animals have received no added hormones, no antibiotics ever, and were humanely raised" [4]. Once again, however, Chipotle does not always follow this code of chivalry. When they are running low on meat supplies, it utilizes conventionally made meat which generally violates Chipotle's code. In 2013 about 7.8 million pounds of its beef (or 15%) was acquired from conventional meat processing companies. True, this is much less than most companies, and probably better than McDonald's by far, yet it displays Chipotle's hypocrisy once again.

The primary point of my argument, however, has nothing to do with the food. The shared CEO's of Chipotle, Steve Ellis and Montgomery Moran have each made over $100 million in their tenures as CEO's. This is a greater number than the CEO's of the much larger corporations of Ford, Boeing, and AT&T. On the contrary, the average salary of a Chipotle employee is just $21,000 a year. David Gelles of the New York Times reported that, "[an average employee] would have to work more than a thousand years to equal one year of the co-CEO’s pay" [5]. In comparison, McDonald's CEO Donald Thomson has made just $9,496,664 during his tenure [6]. The average McDonald's employee makes about $24,000 a year and would only have to work 550 years to make there CEO's annual salary [7][8]!

This is not too much of an advantage for McDonald's, however when you factor in that McDonald's has over 761,000 employees worldwide (greater than the population of Luxembourg) and one in eight Americans have worked for the Big M during their lifetime, we can see that McDonald's has a huge impact on the economy [9].

3. Of superior suitability, advisability, desirability, acceptableness, etc.; preferable

While it is true that McDonald's does have a somewhat low satisfaction rating (about 71%), it is true that McDonald's is far more influential on the US, and the world, than Chipotle is [10]. True, that does not perfectly fit this definition, yet it is a very important point that must be addressed. I showed earlier that McDonald's has a huge impact economically and provides jobs for over half a million people. McDonald's is also fundamental in providing food to the poor. True, the food may not be the healthiest, but it still prevents starvation. In fact, McDonald's feeds 68 million people (about 1% of the worlds population) every day.

I don't have too much more of an argument for this definition, however I would like to warn people of judging McDonald's as fiercely as people do. Their impact on America has been catastrophic whether it be economically or through feeding the poor. Therefore claiming that Chipotle is "better" than McDonald's solely because they serve apparently better food is an incredibly ignorant statement.

Back over to you, Pro.

Rebuttal: Yes, Chipotle does have GMOs in their foods, but only in the tortilla and chips. McDonalds on the other hand have GMOs in everything. However, you said that chipotle has "high amounts of trans fats" in their foods. That is not true. Their is no hydrogenated oils in Chipotle food but in their tortillas. In McDonalds EVERYTHING has trans fats. You also said McDonalds and Chipotle come from the same place. BUT. You Assumed that the same ingredients are in their foods because they came from the same place. The only similar ingredients in Chipotle and McDonalds food are trans fats (only in chipotle tortillas) And GMOs (only in chipotle tortilla). But, McDonalds uses TBHQ, dimethylpolysiloxane (silly putty) While Chipotle does not. Chipotle May have some problems with their tortillas-But McDonalds food has poor quality all around. Also you said Chipotle used 7.8 million pounds of beef that "violates Chipotles code". McDonalds breaks that code with all of its food!!! This is not about whether Chipotle is bad or not--It is about who is better. You also even admitted yourself that McDonalds is way worse than chipotle!Chipotle

1. Chipotle is somewhat virtuous, but they are still more virtuous than McDonalds. Chipotle tries to make the quality of their food edible, while McDonalds buys the cheapest ingredients and sells it (their ingredients have to cost less than 1$ for the dollar menu) Chipotle buys mostly quality ingredients and is mostly thinking of the people (except in the tortillas, I know)
Chipotle is more virtuous than McDonalds because their food (even though the tortillas are bad) is WAY better than McDonalds which contains a lot more than just trans fats. The point of this debate is not whether chipotle is a bad restraint, but whether McDonald is better than chipotle. That is obviously not true as we can see McDonalds ingredients are horrible while Chipotle is at least decent. I await your response. Chipotle is of superior quality, more virtuous(because of the quality-at least they try to make their food good)and preferable (because of the quality)

My opponent has not acknowledged the BoP which he created, and I clarified in Rounds 1 and 2. In order to win this debate, he must show that Chipotle is superior to McDonald's in three regards. The sole regard which he has addressed is the first one (of superior quality or excellence). I do not deny that McDonald's uses somewhat shady ingredients. However one cannot make the claim that Chipotle is better than McDonald's solely because they have better food. My opponent must show that Chipotle is more virtuous and more suitable as well to win this debate. Since he has done neither, he cannot possibly win this debate.

My opponent argues that the french fries that McDonald's serves are unhealthy due to a number of controversial ingredients, and that therefore Chipotle is superior to McDonald's. This is an inaccurate claim as in order to show that the food that Chipotle serves is superior to the food served by McDonald's we must compare the entire menu, not just a tiny portion of it.

As for his rebuttals, my opponent fails to address the majority of my argument. He fails to acknowledge the clear hypocrisy of Chipotle, and does not address this at all. He also fails to properly rebut my arguments about McDonald's impact on the worldwide economy and their more fair wages. My opponents only mention of these arguments is his claim that "Chipotle is more virtuous than McDonald's because their food (even though the tortillas are bad) is WAY better than McDonald's which contains a lot more than just trans fats". This is an illogical argument because I interpreted virtue as not being about the food but more about how the companies treat their employees. As I showed in my argument in R2, McDonald's pays their employees better, and their CEO less.

I rest my case.
Posted by Leo.Messi 1 year ago
A great debate my friend. A great debate.
I look forward to perhaps another debate.
Posted by Atheist-Independent 1 year ago
Mylar, your personal preference has no relation to your RFD. It is supposed to represent the debate itself.
Posted by Leo.Messi 1 year ago
Good Job Athiest-Independent, Well thought out arguments.
Posted by Leo.Messi 1 year ago
Oh and don't forget MSG. Killing brain cells. Awesome.
Posted by Leo.Messi 1 year ago
Even though McDonalds feeds millions every day, look what McDonalds is feeding people!
silly putty, trans fats, sugar, chemicals, and GMOs.
No wonder at our current pace 99% of Americans will be obese by about 2050 (time magazine)
Posted by Leo.Messi 1 year ago
This debate is which one is better-not whether chipotle is bad. obviously we can see that McDonalds uses bad ingredients while chipotle only uses some bad ingredients. It therefore follows chipotle is better.
Posted by Leo.Messi 1 year ago
Yeah man but good luck

McD is trash...
and I will continue to show you why...
I am grateful that you feel bad for me, moneystacker.
Posted by moneystacker 1 year ago
Mcdonalds is garbage and I suggest you guys read Fast food nation to learn even more about "Mctrash". I feel bad for the guy who is backing up Mcdonalds, most people will vote against him off a bias opinion anyway regardless of the debate. Chipotle is super good, and this is coming from a African American who doesn't like most Mexican or Hispanic food. Also McDonalds has a terrible reputation anyway.
Vote Placed by JayConar 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: Con did not use any sources, however he did have information that he could not have required without a source, that is, the ingredients of McDonalds chips, therefore I suspect him of plagiarism and he loses a conduct mark as well as the source mark. Pro's arguments were clearer and much more effective than Con's. Con does, afterall, drop several of Pro's arguments and on the other arguments he concedes far too much ground for him to win. Pro's spelling and grammar is also far superior to Con's, who may wish to learn how to use full stops and delete words that are seemingly out of place.
Vote Placed by kbub 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: BoP was to show only one point of three. Ultimately, I made my decision on 2, and gave Con 1 and 3. Con wins 1 because he shows that the majority of the food is of higher quality, which is mostly unaffected by hypocrisy. On point 2, Con neglects to explain the link between food and morality, and drops Pro's point about the wages. On point 3, Con asserted that Chipotle's rule is to be sustainable, but doesn't show how they do that, so I wasn't particularly convinced; however, Pro dropped this argument. Pro makes some strong arguments about the economic benefits that McDonald's brings, as well as the fact that they save people from starvation. The latter point was wrong, but Con dropped the whole thing, so I flowed it through. Both Pro and Con drop point 3 completely in the final round, so I am not considering it in my flow (default to Con due to BoP). Because Pro won point 2, he wins the debate.