McDonald's should be Banned

McDonald's, welcome to the pinnacle of unhealthy, the father of death, and the maker of coffins. Welcome to the largest fast food chain in the United States.

McDonald's is a huge contribution to the obesity rate and unhealthiness in America today. With their foods containing chemicals that make the foods "look" good even way after purchasing.
There is a study that McDonald's french fries took part in. The french fries were put into one jar while KFC french fries were put into another jar.
From late 2008 to January, 2012, the KFC fries were covered in mold and looked like a heap of fuzz while the McDonald's french fries (although they got darker in color) they stayed YELLOW! I think I will let my opponent argue this point while I hold back more information.

Thank you for the opportunity to debate this topic. I look forward to it.

I'll break this round up into a few parts.

People are educated enough to know what they're eating.

The world has never been more intelligent or had access to more information. In a world of mass media and information literally accessible from our fingertips, there is absolutely no one who doesn't know (or couldn't know) what McDonald's makes, how they make it, and the potential consequences of eating it. On this note...

McDonald's is not to blame for obesity rates.

There's no way you can pin everything about our obesity rates on McDonald's. There are McDonald's restaurants worldwide, and only a select few places that have increased obesity rates. There's clearly more at play here. I'm not saying eating McDonald's won't make you gain weight, but I am saying that there are ways to counteract it. That's why I'm 6'1" and a slight 150 lbs. and able to eat McDonald's 1-3 times a week.

We have the right to eat whatever we want, when we want.
I want to eat cheap burgers that are quick and easy to make. Extra pickles, no onions. To go. And why shouldn't I be able to? Because a bunch of people who can't control themselves are gaining weight? That's not my fault; I shouldn't be punished for somebody else's predicament. Like I said earlier, I'm a very skinny fellow, and I probably eat McDonald's more often than the average person (I'm a college student). It's balancing that diet with exercise and whatnot, and simply because others cannot maintain that balance, I should not be punished.

Banning McDonald's won't solve anything.

Let's just look at this hypothetically for a minute. Say there's a backlash tomorrow, and all McDonald's are shut down in a week. Banned. Vamoose. Problem solved, right? Something tells me you don't think this will solve anything either. Because this simply opens the door for all those other guys in McDonald's wake to get ahead-- Taco Bell, Burger King, KFC, Wendy's, and everyone else. They're not just gonna keep doing the same thing they've been doing; there's ground to make up. Opportunities have been made. Now they're all filling in the gap McDonald's left, and people will flock to these places. Now, this wouldn't be an issue if McDonald's was the only place that caused obesity. But we all know it's not. Now McDonald's just isn't making money, and all those other fast food places are there to take its place.

Nothing McDonald's is doing is ban-worthy.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt-- maybe in the next few rounds, you'll show me something McDonald's has done that is worth a ban. But for now, I'm at a lack of any ideas. Let's use your fry example. It's gross, I can admit that. But it's obviously not illegal. The FDA would have put a stop to that faster than it took me to write this response. Also, just because something is unhealthy doesn't mean it should be illegal. There's a reason the alcohol and smoking and candy industries have been quite lucrative for quite a few years.

Originally founded by Dick and Mac McDonald as a barbecue drive-in in the 1940s, the McDonald's Corporation now boasts annual profits of more than $21 billion. Known for its signature french fries, the corporation trains more new workers annually than the U.S. Army, and an estimated one in eight Americans has worked for McDonald's. In 1968, McDonald's operated about 1,000 restaurants worldwide, but today it has more than 31,000.

The fast-food industry is one of the nation"s largest employers of low and minimum wage workers. According to one group, often the industry workers' pay is not enough and many turn to government programs for assistance.
According to the National Employment Law Project's (NELP) newest report, because the fast-food industry pays its workers less than a living wage, U.S. taxpayers must foot the bill in the form of the public assistance programs these workers must use to get by. McDonald"s alone, according to the group, cost taxpayers $1.2 billion last year. Based on NELP"s estimates, 24/7 Wall St. reviewed the annual costs of providing public assistance to low wage employees working at the seven largest publicly traded fast-food companies.

"What this crisis shows," explained NELP policy analyst Jack Temple, "is that whether or not you work in the fast-food industry or eat fast-food, the industry is costing you. The low wage business model that this industry is based on drains resources from the economy by forcing low-pay workers to rely on public assistance in order to make ends meet."
These public assistance programs include the earned income tax credit, SNAP benefits (also known as food stamps), Medicaid, the Children"s Health Insurance Program, and the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program. The largest of these is Medicaid. "Almost 90% of workers in the fast-food industry do not get health insurance," Temple said. "In addition to being a low-wage business model, it is also a virtually no-benefit business."

Let's take a look at the Health
Every mouthful of McDonalds meal contains a handful of chemicals that raise 'bad' cholesterol levels, increase diabetes risk, lower immunity, and damage DNA. In fact fast food contains so many harmful ingredients that I wouldn't even feed it to a pet because it would be cruel.

When you go to the fast-food drive-through, you are:

paying to harm your own health;
your children's health;
reducing your quality of life because the toxicity of eating synthetic chemicals will trigger illness;
put more money into the hands of the medical insurance companies.
Still lovin' it?

Heard it before? Well despite the illusion of a gradual switch to a healthier menu containing salads and smoothies, McDonald's line-up still contains nasty health-eroding chemicals: trans-fats, high levels of sugar, artificial sweeteners, petro-chemicals, and high-fructose corn syrup. The kids meals and salads also contain frightening ingredients and high levels of sugar.

Having perused their menus and nutritional information for their meals, it's incredible what synthetic chemicals they add to salads, chicken meals, burgers, and even to their drinks. Did you know that many of their foods and drinks contain tertiary butylhydroquinone (TBHQ), a chemical preservative that is so deadly that just five grams is fatal? One gram of TBHQ can cause nausea, vomiting, ringing in the ears, delirium, a sense of suffocation, and collapse.

McDonald's foods still contain trans-fats, in addition to a whole host of synthetic chemicals to produce a taste which they deliberately engineer to be addictive, so you spend more money with them according to investigations by Eric Schlosser in his book Fast Food Nation.

Trans Fat Lie
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration decided that a food can contain trans-fats and that the amount doesn't have to be listed on the ingredient or nutrition list, providing the amount is not more than half a gram. Many burgers, shakes, and breakfast meals contain trans-fats. The problems with these oils is that they induce free radical damage in the body, which leads to artery damage, DNA damage, and oxidation of cholesterol, a.k.a. 'bad cholesterol'. You are getting this with every mouthful.

Almost all foods on McDonald's menu contain hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils, that are also harmful to the body because they damage your tissues and raise your 'bad' cholesterol. Did you know that if a food manufacturer's food contains less than 0.5g of trans-fats then it doesn't have to legally list trans-fats on the label?

Here is just one example of what McDonalds put in their foods. The unhealthful ingredients in McDonalds' Chicken nuggets (straight from the McDonalds' web site) include:

sodium phosphates;
bleached wheat flour (nutrients removed);
food starch-modified (likely genetically-modified);
dextrose (sugar);
partially hydrogenated soybean oil and cottonseed oil with mono-and diglycerides, (trans fats);
Prepared in vegetable oil (Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil) (trans fats);
TBHQ, tertiary butylhydroquinone, a petroleum dervived product;
Dimethylpolysiloxane added as an anti-foaming agent (a form of silicone used in cosmetics, and Silly Putty).

Here's a list of TBHQ Products:
Mcdonalds chicken nuggets and french fries have TBHQ
Red Robin fast food chain also uses TBHQ in cooking oil
CHEEZ-IT Crackers made by Kelloggs have TBHQ
Butterfinger chocolate and Resee"s Peanut butter cups has TBHQ
Nestle Crunch has TBHQ
Wheat Thins contin TBHQ
Many brands of Microwave popcorn have TBHQ
Pam cooking spray has TBHQ
Aldi products have TBHQ
Keebler Club crackers contain TBHQ
Kellogs eggo frozen waffles and many other kellog products
Taco bell beans and some taco shells have TBHQ
Teddy Grahams have TBHQ
Red Barron frozen pizza has TBHQ
Keebler Cookies has TBHQ
TastyKake has TBHQ
Little Debbie has TBHQ
Kellog"s Pop-Tarts - Keebler has TBHQ
Girl scout cookies contain TBHQ? Not all of them so better off checking before buying
Homestyle Peanut butter cookies has TBHQ
Some forms of soymilk have TBHQ
Different breads cerals and crackers could contain TBHQ
Crisco oil contains TBHQ also many restaurants use TBHQ when they deep fry. Check the oil ingredients before buying it.
Some pet foods have TBHQ in them.
Many cosmetic products and baby products have TBHQ
Lacquers, resins and varnish contain TBHQ your baby crib that your baby maybe putting his mouth on. could contain TBHQ.
Some hair dyes lipsticks and eyeshadows contain TBHQ
Some peanut butter products contain TBHQ
Olive Garden croutons have TBHQ
Maruchan soup and Ramon noodles have TBHQ
Wrigley"s gum has TBHQ
Little Debbies nutty bars and some M&M products have TBHQ
KFC beans and fried chicken contain TBHQ

The problem with the general populace is they cannot help themselves but to eat only tasty foods even if they know it was unhealthy and fattening. Although the information is available to us, they only know it has fats or some other thing that most foods have.
Most people don't research like how I did to find out about McDonald's. Most people don't know what I just put on this report.

My opponent has directly quoted (yes, verbatim) virtually all but the last four lines of his round without citations. I have all of the sources below to show the original text. This is blatant plagiarism. (1, 2, 3, 4)

Anyways, nothing my opponent has obviously regurgitated has any real merit other than, "McDonald's is bad, mmkay?"

You have a list of ingredients that can be found in any fast food joint.

You have the typical "Minimum wage is too low!" crap. Minimum wage isn't supposed to fund a family of four. It's for stupid teenagers who need some extra dough to pay for x, y, or z.

What's that whole TBHQ thing about? That proves nothing, other than every food company, as well as McDonald's, uses it. Thus, this adds nothing to your argument.

I refuse to go on with this debate if my opponent continues to not only plagiarize other cites, but adds nothing worthwhile to the debate on top of that.

I see you don't want to take into account the hard reality of this unbelievably unhealthy food.
Not only did I read what I copy and pasted into my argument but it is what I agree to as well, one mistake I did do though is I did not put my sources and I apologize for that.

If McDonald's was banned, obesity rates will decrease drastically.

If you refer to my last argument, you will see why it causes obesity.

It may be a huge factor that you may not be skinny as you say you are therefore you are becoming angered over a simple mistake (forgetting to put sources)

I posted McDonald's is increasing economic distress not just about minimum wages.

This may be a sensitive topic but we just need to face the ice-cold reality that McDonald's will kill us quicker therefore it should be banned.

P.S. "TBHQ" is a chemical that is placed in most of McDonald's products that contains a sub-chemical called "Phenol" which causes dark circles under the eyes, red face/ears, diarrhea, hyperactivity, aggression, headache, head banging or other self-injury, inappropriate laughter, difficulty falling asleep at night, and night waking for several hours.

"I see you don't want to take into account the hard reality of this unbelievably unhealthy food."

I see you don't want to take into account the hard reality that getting rid of McDonald's would do absolutely nothing for our obesity rates, the economy, or anything else.

"If McDonald's was banned, obesity rates will decrease drastically."

If you got rid of McDonald's, every other fast food joint would simply pick up the slack. People will continue to eat the same garbage no matter where they get it.

"If you refer to my last argument, you will see why it causes obesity."

And if you refer to mine, you'll see how such a thing is preventable.

"It may be a huge factor that you may not be skinny as you say you are therefore you are becoming angered over a simple mistake..."

Are you kidding me? First of all, I'm not "angered over a simple mistake". You were basically trying to pass off that info as your own, and never even referenced that you pulled it from elsewhere. That, and using word-for-word text from someone else's work shows how uncommitted you are to formulating your own ideas. Second, implying my frustration with you doing this has to do with me being fat is basically ad hominem and totally irrelevant.

"I posted McDonald's is increasing economic distress not just about minimum wages."

Yes you did. And I posted that even if we get rid of McDonald's, the power will simply shift to KFC, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, Subway, and all of those places. The debt will not go down and it will not cost tax-payers any less.

"This may be a sensitive topic but we just need to face the ice-cold reality that McDonald's will kill us quicker therefore it should be banned."

Eating candy that much is insanely unhealthy, so why don't we use that same logic for candy companies? Because we trust that people are smart enough to make healthy decisions and not fill their face with food that has been shown time and again to not be the best choice. This is not McDonald's fault. If people stopped eating there, they would go out of business like *that*.

"P.S. 'TBHQ' is a chemical that is placed in most of McDonald's products that contains a sub-chemical called 'Phenol' which causes..."

First, you forgot to cite your source. Again. (1)

Second, you fail to mention that these horrible phenols can be found in berries, cocoa, fruits and vegetables like potatoes, oranges and lettuce, peppers, clove and thyme. These are all natural products. They can also be used as natural pesticides and are sometimes the key for food preservation and preventing infection (2) So, trying to pass phenol off as this terrible chemical that causes that huge grocery list of side-effects is somewhat misleading. Then again, you just Google these things and copy-paste the first result that looks good, so I don't blame you for missing something.

Third, you base most of your argument on the fact that McDonald's uses this unhealthy component for preservation called TBHQ. This would be fine and dandy if you didn't list dozens of other things that have it as well. What, are we going to ban all of these products and companies for using it even though it's FDA approved? That thought it ridiculous.

This idea came to me just this round- what if we do ban McDonald's? Like, tomorrow, it was just gone. This would leave 440,000 people without a job. (3) Our economy is already in terrible conditions, and this would shatter the country. We could not handle such a massive, sudden lost of jobs. The implications are too numerous to mention.

Voters, my opponent wrote a grand total of 1468 words. Of those, only about 350 were original. This was found by copy-pasting all of his points into a Word document and highlighting only those which were original. This results in less than a quarter of my opponent's points being entirely his own, and all references to outside texts being uncited. Even with citations, this shows an utter lack of interest in trying to formulate his own ideas or gaining anything from the text.

My opponent literally said that my being overweight was the reason for being frustrated with his regurgitation of cut-and-paste articles. This is ad hominem and irrelevant in every way.

My opponent has refuted absolutely none of my points; in fact, there was never even an effort to do so.

Voters, I'm going to say vote for whoever made the better argument. But I do ask that you take these points into account.

Posted by BossDebater 1 year ago
Posted by BossDebater 1 year ago
Come on do you really think that McDonald's food is good for you. Sure if we stopped eating fast food the world would be better and McDonald's restaurants are every where making people SICK and FAT.
Vote Placed by jvava 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Con's arguments were convincing - and, he didn't plagiarize but istead cited resources. Sorry Pro - I am still lovin' it.