Jack554435
Coffee_Bean

MeToo movement

Coffee_Bean has forfeited round #2.

Jack554435

Con

Should the accusations of the MeToo movement be accepted as true without adequate proof as most accusers have not given any evidence to support their cases?
Coffee_Bean

Pro

This movement is spreading awareness of sexual harassment, rape, and other sexual assaults. To let women and men, speak up against this violence and share their stories. Now whether or not people want to list their attackers, is up to them. Is this argument more about the movement itself or about the women and men calling out famous people?
Jack554435

Con

Your answer seems more like an explanation about the movement than an argument.And no the argument is not about calling out famous people.It is about whether the accusations given on Twitter against ordinary men (or women) about sexual misconduct should be taken automatically as true without any sort of investigation or evidence.

In my opinion they should not.Sexual harassment is a serious offense,rape far more so.In both cases the accused stands to face severe consequences if found guilty.However the burden of proof in such cases is on the accusers.In the MeToo movement people made severe allegations against their bosses,coworkers and others etc but almost none of them gave any sort of evidence to substantiate their claims. This name shaming caused a shadow to fall over the accused by automatically assuming them to be guilty without giving them due process or even finding out if the accusations were real or not.Doing this was not only wrong but also the legal grounds for defamation lawsuits (as many who made these accusations have begun to find out).I hope my argument is now clear.
Posted by coolbeans3213 7 months ago
coolbeans3213
Despite being in favor for the MeToo movement, it reminds me too much of the Salem witch trials where people were guilty until proven innocent. I am all for people speaking up against this kind of behavior but I think society shouldn"t be so quick as to point fingers and really carefully consider what has been said w/o minimizing the victims claims.
Posted by kasmic 7 months ago
kasmic
On a side note I am inclined to believe the vast majority of MeToo stories as I have witnessed sexual harassment in my life. It would seem to me foolish to think that a large amount of the stories are untrue.
Posted by kasmic 7 months ago
kasmic
I am in favor of the MeToo movement so I want to accept the debate. That stated, your sentence implies that to be pro I would have to believe that all stories given are true. I do not hold that position. It seems to me that the MeToo movement is not about believing all accusations no matter what, but rather to raise awareness of sexual harassment issues. I would even go so far as to say the movement is in part to promote that accusations should be taken seriously. Taken as true no matter the lack of evidence is not the same as taking the accusations seriously.

I would be happy to debate that sexual harassment is prevalent in our society, that accusations have in the past not been taking seriously, and that the MeToo movement was overwhelmingly good. I am not inclined to undertake the burden that every single story given with #MeToo is true.