pratta3
yulianacruz

Medea is responsible for the death of her children.

pratta3

Pro

1. No person or law was forcing Medea to kill her children.
2. Medea was not tricked into killing her children.
3. Medea's children were not killed by accident.
4. The choice of whether or not to kill her children was up to Medea and only Medea.
5. Medea chose to kill her own children.
6. The choice to kill her children and the act of killing them thereafter was therefore a willful act.
7. A person is responsible for actions which they commit willfully.
8. Therefore, Medea is responsible for the death of her children.

Non-controversial premises: 1, 2, 3, and 7 are expected to be non-controversial premises. 1, 2, and 3 are known details surrounding the incident, and 7 is a statement connecting responsibility and willfulness which I expect my opponent to agree with.

Controversial premises: 4, 5, and 6 are controversial because they all revolve around Medea having the choice to kill her children. I do not expect my opponent to agree that Medea chose to kill her children of her own accord.
yulianacruz

Con

1. I agree with premise one
2. I agree with premise two
3. I agree with premise three
4. It was Medea's choice to kill or not kill her children but it was influenced by anger inflicted upon her by her husband.
5. Medeas husband caused her to chose to kill her children.
6. If it were not for her husband, Medea would not have chosen to kill her children.
7. A person is responsible for the acts they commit willfully, while sane.
8. Medea was not sane when she made the choice to kill her children.
9. Therefore, Medea is not responsible for the death of her children.

Non controversial premises:
premises 1, 2, and 3. They are details from the story. I agree with premise 7.
Controversial premisesR03;:
premises 4,5,6,8. they are interpretations of the context and of insanity.
pratta3

Pro

4. Medea had a choice whether or not to become angry at her husband. She could have chosen to view his actions differently and to accept them and move on, but instead she chose to become angry at them. If she chose to become angry and consequently killed her children out of anger, then she is responsible for their deaths.

5, 6. Whether or not Medea's husband was a factor in her choice to kill her children does not change the fact that she herself chose to kill her children. The responsibility of that choice cannot be removed from Medea and placed on her husband.

8. There is no reason to believe that Medea had at any point lost her sanity; we are only told that she is full of anger. In fact, she even says that she is aware that what she is doing is bad: "I know that what I am about to do is bad[...]"
yulianacruz

Con

4. Medea become insane when her husband betrayed her and in that state made the unconscious decision to kill her children and therefore left not responsible for it.

5,6. The responsibility can be removed because she was not in the proper mental state to make the decision in the first place. The act of killing her children can not be denied nor undone, but the responsibility of the choice behind it can be argued.

8. I disagree because throughout the story she goes back and fourth between her decision. One moment she decides that she will not get revenge on her husband and the next she is justifying it, making it clear that she in not mentally stable.
pratta3

Pro

4. Medea became angry when her husband betrayed her, but not insane. And even if Medea did not willfully BECOME angry, she subsequently allowed her anger to get the better of her while she was fully aware of what was happening. There are methods of dealing with anger once it has grabbed hold of you that she could have utilized but did not: for example, deep breathing and meditation are common and effective strategies for embracing anger in a healthy way and ultimately reducing its presence.

5, 6. If Medea was aware enough to recognize that what she was doing was bad and she made no effort deal with her anger in a healthy way, then her decision to let her anger lead her to kill her children makes her responsible for their deaths.

8. On the contrary, this demonstrates that she is still capable of reasoning with herself and coming to a conclusion of what the right and wrong things to do are. In the end, she knew that what she was doing was bad but she did it anyway.
yulianacruz

Con

4. If Medea did not willfully become angry then it would also be possible that she did not willfully killer her children. Both getting angry and killing her children are choices she made not willfully.

5,6. Medea did make a healthy attempt to deal with her anger by contemplating the consequences of her acts. So she was aware that it was bad and also attempted to deal with her anger in a healthy way but was unsuccessful. Killing her children was not her responsibility because she tried avoiding it before she actually went through with it.

8. Insane people seem to have sane thoughts. She rationally reasoned both of the options she had but ultimately, because she was mentally unstable, ended up killing her children. A sane person would have to feel guilt for that but she did it regardless.
pratta3

Pro

Note: My opponent did not sufficiently disprove any of my premises so my argument stands the same.
yulianacruz

Con

1. I agree with premise one
2. I agree with premise two
3. I agree with premise three

Note; My opponent did not disprove my argument.
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 1 year ago
dsjpk5
pratta3yulianacruzTied
Reasons for voting decision: Tie.