Da_King
A_Fellow_Debater

Medical Marijuana is Legit

Da_King

Pro

Resolution: "Medical marijuana, as ment to be, is legit."

This is a real debate. I will argue that medical marijuana is legit. I will not be arguing that it should necessarily be legalized, as a whole, here in America-- this is so because I think that it should be up to the states.

This first round is not ment to be a debate, so don't post much information. Is only clearifying the resolution. And I will start making my case in the second round.
A_Fellow_Debater

Con

I would like to start this debate with an observation:

America has never legalized weed and since America has been "successful" on many levels without the legalization of weed, we must consider the opposite effect happening if it is legalized.
Da_King

Pro

This "observation" my opponent has made is irrelevant This debate is on the fact that medical marijuana is legit, not about the legalization of it. I really don't have to say the reasons why the observation is wrong, because it has nothing to do with this round.

Now for my arguments. Why is marijuana any worse then oxycontin? It really is not--it just relieves pain more. So my whole argument will be that marijuana is just as potent as other meds, yet can offer a more pain-relieving surgery.

Here is what [http://www.drugfree.org...] had to say about oxycontin.
"How is it used?
"As pain medication, OxyContin is taken every 12 hours because the tablets contain a controlled, time-release formulation of the medication. Most pain medications must be taken every three to six hours. Oxycontin abusers remove the sustained-release coating to get a rapid release of the medication, causing a rush of euphoria similar to heroin.
"What are its short-term effects?
"The most serious risk associated with opioids, including OxyContin, is respiratory depression. Common opioid side effects are constipation, nausea, sedation, dizziness, vomiting, headache, dry mouth, sweating, and weakness. Taking a large single dose of an opioid could cause severe respiratory depression that can lead to death.
"What are its long-term effects?
"Chronic use of opioids can result in tolerance for the drugs, which means that users must take higher doses to achieve the same initial effects. Long-term use also can lead to physical dependence and addiction -- the body adapts to the presence of the drug, and withdrawal symptoms occur if use is reduced or stopped.Properly managed medical use of pain relievers is safe and rarely causes clinical addiction, defined as compulsive, often uncontrollable use of drugs. Taken exactly as prescribed, opioids can be used to manage pain effectively."

Is this really that much better than marijuana? http://www.drugfree.org...
"How is it used?
"Most users roll loose marijuana into a cigarette called a "joint". Weed can be smoked in a water pipe, called a "bong", or mixed into food or brewed as tea. It has also appeared in cigars called "blunts".
"What are its short-term effects?
"Short-term effects of marijuana include problems with memory and learning, distorted perception (sights, sounds, time, touch), trouble with thinking and problem solving, loss of motor coordination, increased heart rate, and anxiety.These effects are even greater when other drugs are mixed with weed. A user may also experience dry mouth and throat.
"What are its long-term effects?
"Marijuana smoke contains some of the same cancer-causing compounds as tobacco, sometimes in higher concentrations.Studies show that someone who smokes five joints per week may be taking in as many cancer-causing chemicals as someone who smokes a full pack of cigarettes every day."

Keep in mind, the marijuana doses would be very well controlled.
A_Fellow_Debater

Con

A_Fellow_Debater forfeited this round.
Da_King

Pro

Da_King forfeited this round.
A_Fellow_Debater

Con

A_Fellow_Debater forfeited this round.
Da_King

Pro

Da_King forfeited this round.
A_Fellow_Debater

Con

A_Fellow_Debater forfeited this round.
Posted by misuraco101 7 years ago
misuraco101
this is a really good debate