BennyW
Brenavia

Medical Marijuana should be a legal option

Reasons for your voting decision - Required

BennyW

Pro

I challenge my opponent to debate the merits or lack thereof of medical marijuana.

I believe that Medical Marijuana should be legal because it has been proven to have medical benefits and relieve pain. It is less addictive and has less severe side effects than many of the opiates currently prescribed for pain. Making medical marijuana illegal could therefore be detrimental to therapy fro people suffering from sever diseases.

I await your response and f
Brenavia

Con

I thank my opponent for challenging me to this debate, and I wish Pro good luck!

1. Proven Medical Benefits
There are many who say that there are many proven medical benefits to smoking or otherwise ingesting marijuana. First off, I would like to ask my opponent to cite a source saying, and proving, the medical benefits of medical marijuana. I have a source that says the following, "There is plenty of evidence to show that marijuana can help people cope with a variety of diseases," Of course it can help people cope with diseases. If I took cocaine, the same effect would happen, in fact I might forget that I even had a disease. Being able to help people cope is no reason to legalize marijuana for medical use. The same source goes on to say, "That said, medical marijuana is not right for every patient. Nor is it even the first drug of choice,". Not even the first choice. Medical marijuana would not replace current medical practices, it would only supplement them. The legalization of medical marijuana is bad for many reasons, which brings me to my next point.

http://www.post-gazette.com...

2. Ill Effects of Ingesting Marijuana
The Office of Drug Control Policy says the following, "Marijuana use is associated with dependence, respiratory and mental illness, poor motor performance, and impaired cognitive and immune system functioning, among other negative effects. Marijuana intoxication can cause distorted perceptions, difficulty in thinking and problem solving, and problems with learning and memory. Studies have shown an association between chronic marijuana use and increased rates of anxiety, depression, suicidal thoughts, and schizophrenia. Other research has shown marijuana smoke to contain carcinogens and to be an irritant to the lungs. Marijuana smoke, in fact, contains 50‐70 percent more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than does tobacco smoke," This goes to show why any use of marijuana, even for medical uses, is a bad thing for the health of any users. If marijuana for medical purposes was legalized, it would harm many more people than it would help. Is forgetting about your pain through smoking a joint worth it if you can get schizophrenia from smoking it? Or any other medical complication? No, its not worth it, and that is why medical marijuana should not be a legal option.

http://www.whitehousedrugpolicy.gov...

In conclusion, I have yet to see a source that legitimately proves the benefits of medical marijuana. Not only is there a lack of health benefits from ingesting it, but there are serious medical issues that could result from ingesting the drug. For the reasons stated above, medical marijuana should not be a legal option, and I urge the voters to vote Con!
BennyW

Pro

I would like to thank my opponent for responding.

First of all my opponent points to where his source says "medical marijuana is not right for every patient." If you have ever seen a drug commercial on TV they say that about just about everything, while they are listing off the long list of side effects.
Morphine is a drug often prescribed as an anesthetic or painkiller, yet it has worse side effects than marijuana and is more addictive and is an opiate. [1] [2] [3]

There are proven benefits with less problems. [4] [5] It helps with cancer and is less devastating to health than chemo. [6]

" Marijuana intoxication can cause distorted perceptions, difficulty in thinking and problem solving, and problems with learning and memory." Which is why people taking it shouldn't be allowed to drive or do certain tasks that require high levels of motor skills, just like some other drugs.

"Studies have shown an association between chronic marijuana use and increased rates of anxiety, depression, suicidal thoughts, and schizophrenia." This is also true of many antidepressants when prescribed to teenagers.

Other research has shown marijuana smoke to contain carcinogens and to be an irritant to the lungs. Marijuana smoke, in fact, contains 50‐70 percent more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than does tobacco smoke" There are other ways to ingest marijuana rather than just smoking it.

For consistency, if we were going to make marijuana illegal for medical purposes shouldn't opiates such as morphine and oxycodone and codeine also be illegal even as prescriptions?

I thank my opponent and look forward to the next round.

1 http://www.softlandingrecovery.com...
2 http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk...
3 http://www.kstatecollegian.com...
4 http://www.thenewstribune.com...
5 http://news.google.com...
6 http://www.kxly.com...
Brenavia

Con

"If you have ever seen a drug commercial on TV they say that about just about everything, while they are listing off the long list of side effects. Morphine is a drug often prescribed as an anesthetic or painkiller, yet it has worse side effects than marijuana and is more addictive and is an opiate."
--- Yes, many drugs on t.v. list a long list of side effects, but one must take into account that those warnings are for legal purposes so that no one can sue the drug company for getting nauseous when taking the drug. Marijuana has a much greater statistic of harming a person taking it than if one was to take another legal drug. Also, morphine is an addictive drug, but we are not arguing the merits of morphine. I ask that my opponent drop this point, as there are many drugs that are perscribed that are not as addictive as marijuana or opiates.

"There are proven benefits with less problems. [4] [5] It helps with cancer and is less devastating to health than chemo. [6]"
-In source 4, the author never lists the benefits, and in source 5 the person asking the question suggested the benefits of marijuana, marijuana was not suggested. In the same source, the person answering the question said that it was highly controversial. In source 6, it was a nice story, but what about lond term side effects? My second source says that there are long term side effects to this addictive drug, and whos to say that the kid will not grow up an addict? There are many cases in which a child is given a drug that he or she quickly becomes addicted to.

http://www.break.com...

"Which is why people taking it shouldn't be allowed to drive or do certain tasks that require high levels of motor skills, just like some other drugs."
-Same thing with drinking alcoholand then driving. Thats illegal, but people do it none the less. Legalizing marijuana would allow people to do things while under the influence of THC, and that puts the rest of us at risk.

"There are other ways to ingest marijuana rather than just smoking it."
-Yes, I know. But that was listed as a method in my source, and I support it still. Any way one ingests marijuna is bad.

"For consistency, if we were going to make marijuana illegal for medical purposes shouldn't opiates such as morphine and oxycodone and codeine also be illegal even as prescriptions?"
-Totally agree with you on this one, but this debate is about marijuna, not opiates.

In conclusion, I believe that medical marijuana should not be a legal option for all the reasons stated above and in my previous speech, and thus I urge te voters to vote CON!

"
BennyW

Pro

First of all I would like to thank my opponent for responding.

My opponent chastised me for mentioning other drugs when the debate is on marijuana, but I was merely pointing out the inconsistencies in our drug laws. Furthermore, he goes on to cite the smoking baby, and since he is addicted to regular cigarettes and not marijuana that too would not be relevant to the debate at hand.

"Yes, many drugs on t.v. list a long list of side effects, but one must take into account that those warnings are for legal purposes so that no one can sue the drug company for getting nauseous when taking the drug." Yes, and the same such warnings may apply to marijuana for legal reasons, that does not prove that it is so much worse for you.

"Same thing with drinking alcohol and then driving. Thats illegal, but people do it none the less. Legalizing marijuana would allow people to do things while under the influence of THC, and that puts the rest of us at risk." Yes, exactly, that just reinforces what I was saying that you responded to.

Any time we discuss drugs we must weigh the benefits against the risks. There are some in the medical community who promote marijuana as an effective treatment option. [1] You mention how marijuana is not for everyone, and it is not the first choice. That may be true, however, that does not mean it is not a choice at all. It works for some people where other drugs have failed. If you are concerned with the risk of abuse, dispensaries can have the same oversight as any pharmacy. [2]

According to many experts, if a lethal dose of marijuana exists it is almost impossible to attain, as opposed to other drugs which can be quite easy to Overdose on even accidentally. [3]
Thanks again to my opponent and I would look forward to his conclusion.

1 http://medicalmarijuana.procon.org...
2 http://www.lansingstatejournal.com...
3 http://www.druglibrary.org...
Brenavia

Con

Brenavia forfeited this round.
Posted by Brenavia 5 years ago
Brenavia
Im sorry that I couldnt make my last speech, I was preparing for an upcoming debate tournament had didn't have the time to compose an argument. I ask that the voters ignore my mistake and vote on the basis of the rest of the debate.
Posted by BennyW 5 years ago
BennyW
Brenavia you have 22 minutes or you forfeit and I would hate it to end like that.
Vote Placed by GMDebater 5 years ago
GMDebater
BennyWBrenaviaTied
Reasons for voting decision: pro gets conduct because con forfeited. arguments because his last round are not refuted and sources because he used more updated sources
Vote Placed by Cliff.Stamp 5 years ago
Cliff.Stamp
BennyWBrenaviaTied
Reasons for voting decision: I think Brenavia could have taken this with a solid last round as they had a very effective response to the sources listed by Benny. However the request to drop the opiate argument is kind of weak, it is the exact point that such dangerous drugs are acceptable which is the point. 4:2Pro.
Vote Placed by Xenith967 5 years ago
Xenith967
BennyWBrenaviaTied
Reasons for voting decision: I agree personally with Con, and his arguments were stronger