Black.Nite17
dthmstr254

Medical Marijuana should be legal.

Black.Nite17

Pro

I was looking at your profile, and i saw that you think that medical marijuana should not be legal. I disagree but i want to know why you believe that medical marijuana is unsuitable to be legal in the us.
And a debate will follow. It is currently used to make peoples with diseases better, so i dont see why not.
dthmstr254

Con

Ok, here are my reasons:

A. Marijuana contains 60-70% more carcinogens than tobacco has. It increases the risk of cancer in people drastically.

B. Marijuana is a known hallucinogen. It causes people to believe that they are actually in a different situation. However, unlike some drugs that can cause hallucinations (such as Kedamine, which is used in chronic pain sufferers to induce a coma, essentially rebooting the brain to relieve the pain), Marijuana's medical use is on an outpatient basis. Despite the warnings that show up for the FDA, people use the drug while driving or doing other things in life. This would mean that people are hallucinating while driving a car. I don't know about you, but I don't want to have a second go at avoiding a person who slams on reverse on a 40 MPH road (it turned out he was high on, guess what... Marijuana).

There are other reasons, but I want this to be concise, since I am moving at the time.
Black.Nite17

Pro

Thank you for accepting my debate and i hope it is an enjoyable one.

"A. Marijuana contains 60-70% more carcinogens than tobacco has. It increases the risk of cancer in people drastically"- dthmstr254

Ok first i would like to point out that there is countless studies that prove tobacco more cancer causing than marijuana. but i would also like you to be more specific. Are you trying to say that marijuana is more likely to give you foot cancer or lung cancer? On another note, medical marijuana does not have to be smoked which ultimately takes away any "risks" with lungs.

"B. Marijuana is a known hallucinogen. It causes people to believe that they are actually in a different situation. However, unlike some drugs that can cause hallucinations (such as Kedamine, which is used in chronic pain sufferers to induce a coma, essentially rebooting the brain to relieve the pain), Marijuana's medical use is on an outpatient basis. Despite the warnings that show up for the FDA, people use the drug while driving or doing other things in life. This would mean that people are hallucinating while driving a car. I don't know about you, but I don't want to have a second go at avoiding a person w ho slams on reverse on a 40 MPH road (it turned out he was high on, guess what... Marijuana)." -dthmstr254

These claims are rare and eroneous. Yes marijuana is a hallucinogen, but thats exactly why some people use it for chronic pain. As an example:

Vicodin, Oxycotten, Hydrocodone, and Percoset are all legal drugs used to reduce pain. These also to an extent are bad to drive with. People drive under the influence of them as well also ignoring the FDA. These people are just as likely to "slam on reverse on a 40 MPH road".

So you are saying that medical marijuana should stay illegal because theres a chance someone will get behind the wheel when they cant handle it? If that is the case we should most certainly ban all prescription pain-killers. I obviously dont believe that but i think i got my point across.

I would like to review my main points before i close up:

A.Any cancer causing effects can be avoided because you dont have to smoke marijuana as it can be vaporized, eaten or simpily taken in a pill.

B.The "risks" of safe driving is equal to or even less than that of a prescription pain-killer.

Im awaiting your rebuttle with eager.

Websites to refer to:

http://www.freerepublic.com...

http://www.sciencedaily.com...
dthmstr254

Con

This has other effects as well as responses.

Marijuana has effects also on the mood of the personm who takes it. The side effects cause the incapability of the person to judge correctly, incredible mood swings (Take PMS mood swings and multiply by ten), and irrational anger.

The effects also hit the heart much harder than traditional pain killers. Marijuana, unlike Vicodin and other opiates, is like a massive bomb drop from WW2 era on the brain. It effects nearly all parts of the body. These extensive studies you have also show that marijuana users are 4 times more likely to develop cardio-pulmonary health problems, including, but not limited to: Heart attack, pulmonary or cardio-pulmonary edema, cancer around the heart and veins leading to the lungs. In addition to this, marijuana causes a drop in the production of T-cells, which are the first line of defense in the body's immune system. This leads to increased risk of infection. Infections can lead to numerous problems, which need not be listed here. If someone wants to kill themselves with marijuana, they can go ahead, but don't put the blood of marijuana users on the doctor's hands. The FDA is strict enough that if 10% of people who use a drug develop life-threatening complications from a drug, they will not let it out on the market. Edemas on the heart and lungs pass as life-threatening complications, as they increase in pressure and basically crush the vital organs.

As to your responses.

A. I simply said they contain 60-70% more carcinogens that tobacco, not that it was more likely to cause cancer. However, if a guy makes a habit of shoving cancer into his body, the chances are that he will get cancer.

B. I didn't note this in my profile, but I am diagnosed with Chronic Migranosis and deal with pain all day, every day. I have had oxycotton (and it's cousin, oxycodone) for pain, as well as topomax, Maxalt, and I don't know what else to deal with the pain. I know my abilities, but I am not eager to have a drug I have seen kill people let out legal on the streets. You might as well put Sudafed back on the counter if you make marijuana legal.

Bottom line, it is hypocritical to limit the use of a safe and useful drug like Sudafed and yet legalize the use of an unsafe drug when there are safer drugs that are more effective available by prescription. If you have a pain problem, go get a pain killer, not a complication-ridden, more addictive than vicodin dose of marijuana.
Black.Nite17

Pro

This being my last part in the arguement i ask that you cite some sources because honestly you cant have a debate on solely what you say.

"marijuana has effects also on the mood of the personm who takes it. The side effects cause the incapability of the person to judge correctly, incredible mood swings (Take PMS mood swings and multiply by ten), and irrational anger."

This is a thing that first of all, is not proven, and secondly, people that smoke marijuana are happy. Earlier in the arguement, you said yourself that it made me people happy and carefree. I say you just contradicted yourself. And irrational anger and "(Take PMS mood swings and multiply by ten)" are more along the lines of alcohol use. Sorry.

"The effects also hit the heart much harder than traditional pain killers. Marijuana, unlike Vicodin and other opiates, is like a massive bomb drop from WW2 era on the brain. It effects nearly all parts of the body. These extensive studies you have also show that marijuana users are 4 times more likely to develop cardio-pulmonary health problems, including, but not limited to: Heart attack, pulmonary or cardio-pulmonary edema, cancer around the heart and veins leading to the lungs. In addition to this, marijuana causes a drop in the production of T-cells, which are the first line of defense in the body's immune system. This leads to increased risk of infection. Infections can lead to numerous problems, which need not be listed here. If someone wants to kill themselves with marijuana, they can go ahead, but don't put the blood of marijuana users on the doctor's hands. The FDA is strict enough that if 10% of people who use a drug develop life-threatening complications from a drug, they will not let it out on the market. Edemas on the heart and lungs pass as life-threatening complications, as they increase in pressure and basically crush the vital organs."

Ok show some of these "studies" and be careful, cause you dont have to smoke marijuana. I think that some of your studies are most likely talking about smoking marijuana. So make sure they're just about medical marijuana.

"A. I simply said they contain 60-70% more carcinogens that tobacco, not that it was more likely to cause cancer. However, if a guy makes a habit of shoving cancer into his body, the chances are that he will get cancer."

Once again i see no evidence.Tobacco causes 40 per cent of all hospital illnesses. But you dont see anyone getting marijuana poisoning. Take a look at this websites.

http://www.cbc.ca...

http://stopthedrugwar.org...

"B. I didn't note this in my profile, but I am diagnosed with Chronic Migranosis and deal with pain all day, every day. I have had oxycotton (and it's cousin, oxycodone) for pain, as well as topomax, Maxalt, and I don't know what else to deal with the pain. I know my abilities, but I am not eager to have a drug I have seen kill people let out legal on the streets. You might as well put Sudafed back on the counter if you make marijuana legal."

This is eroneous! Maybe you should move to oregon and sign up for medical marijuana, because really you dont know. And i would like to see 1 case where medical marijuana killed someone.

"Bottom line, it is hypocritical to limit the use of a safe and useful drug like Sudafed and yet legalize the use of an unsafe drug when there are safer drugs that are more effective available by prescription. If you have a pain problem, go get a pain killer, not a complication-ridden, more addictive than vicodin dose of marijuana."

What makes medical marijuana unsafe if it is already being used? Do you think they would really let people use it for medical purposes if it was so horrible? And yes if you have a pain problem, go get a highly addictive pain killer. thats just what everyone needs, huh? Just some more pills that will make them addicted to them(cause pills are mentally and physically addicting, as opposed to medical marijuana) and ruin there liver or a possible overdose.

You are opposed to medical marijuana because of the things you hear about marijuana on the streets which is completly different. Ill be awaiting your final rebuttle with eager and thank you for the debate.
dthmstr254

Con

My sources are NIDA, FDA, and my primary physician Dr Sayed Risvi. Quote from the NIDA site:

The short-term effects of marijuana can include problems with memory and learning; distorted perception; difficulty in thinking and problem solving; loss of coordination; and increased heart rate. Research findings for long-term marijuana abuse indicate some changes in the brain similar to those seen after long-term abuse of other major drugs. For example, cannabinoid (THC or synthetic forms of THC) withdrawal in chronically exposed animals leads to an increase in the activation of the stress-response system5 and changes in the activity of nerve cells containing dopamine6. Dopamine neurons are involved in the regulation of motivation and reward, and are directly or indirectly affected by all drugs of abuse.

Note that I said earlier that the effects of marijuana can be mood swings. This is because Dopamine is a neurotransmitter that heightens pleasure. The person goes into withdrawal and the body has become reliant on the massive amounts of dopamine to maintain normality. No marijuana, no dopamine, no dopamine causes the person's mood to swing like a bi-polar person. Therefore, it can cause a person to be "happy and carefree" and then cause the person to swing during withdrawal. That is not a contradiction, but a medically supported relevant fact of life.

I am speaking of the drug itself. It increases heart rate and blood pressure, which, combined with what normally could be considered a normal cholesterol level, can cause a clot to be thrown into the blood stream. That can cause stroke, heartattack, or an infarction in other parts of the body. The increased blood pressure can also cause a rupture in areas near the heart and lungs, which can cause a pulmonary edema or a cardio-pulmonary edema.

As to you wanting one case where medical marijuana killed someone, you need to open up your eyes. Marijuana isn't only smoked or taken as hash oil. It is eaten, popped, and even taken sometimes as a suppository.

Besides that, you think every doctor is going to hook a person complaining of pain to an EEG and measure beta waves to see if there is a source of pain? To filter out the druggies who can and will use a doctor to get drugs, that is what they would have to do. This would mean that the higher percentage of people who need the pain meds.

Even taken as a pill, Vicodin doesn't cause near as much havoc in the brain and heart as marijuana.

I say don't give druggies another reason to go to the doctor for a legitimate high. We have plenty enough other pain meds out there with less risk than pot. You let marijuana be legalized, the next thing coming is legalized heroine. Hell, why not just say that prescriptions aren't needed if you want things legal. Illicit drugs need to stay ellicit for the same reason they were made illicit in the first place.
Posted by RockRobster 8 years ago
RockRobster
I have been a marijuana user for almost 30 years now. Until recently I was all for the legal use of marijuana. I can personally attest that the mood swings mentioned in Con ~ Round 2, are absolutely real. It has effected my life on several occasions. My mood swings have gone from bad to worse. My outbursts have resulted in the loss of 3 different jobs, and intense arguments with friends and family members. For a long time I have been in denial that it was the marijuana that was effecting my life. After taking a good look at the past it is pretty clear that it has disrupted my personality. While using marijuana I don't have problems. The problems don't occur until hours later, after it has worn off. I have a friend of a friend that recently quit for the exact same reason. Marijuana was affecting his life as well, and with the same type of problems also occurring hours later, after the effects had worn off. I had always thought that smoking Pot made much more sense that drinking alcohol, but both can easily result in you doing/saying things that you'll regret later.
Vote Placed by Krazzy_Player 3 years ago
Krazzy_Player
Black.Nite17dthmstr254Tied
Vote Placed by RockRobster 8 years ago
RockRobster
Black.Nite17dthmstr254Tied
Vote Placed by CJC 9 years ago
CJC
Black.Nite17dthmstr254Tied
Vote Placed by padfo0t 9 years ago
padfo0t
Black.Nite17dthmstr254Tied
Vote Placed by Danielle 9 years ago
Danielle
Black.Nite17dthmstr254Tied
Vote Placed by bigbass3000 9 years ago
bigbass3000
Black.Nite17dthmstr254Tied
Vote Placed by starz_in_ur_eyes_tonight 9 years ago
starz_in_ur_eyes_tonight
Black.Nite17dthmstr254Tied
Vote Placed by hiterstle 9 years ago
hiterstle
Black.Nite17dthmstr254Tied
Vote Placed by R.evoloution 9 years ago
R.evoloution
Black.Nite17dthmstr254Tied
Vote Placed by govchapman 9 years ago
govchapman
Black.Nite17dthmstr254Tied