socialpinko
stark73

Medical Marijuana

Reasons for your voting decision - Required

socialpinko

Pro

Pro will argue that Marijuana has several useful medical purposes for treating diseases such as Glaucoma and HIV/AIDS. Con will argue that marijuana has no such uses.

Medical Marijuana: Medical cannabis (also referred to as medical marijuana) is the use of cannabis and its constituent cannabinoids such as THC as a physician-recommended form of medicine or herbal therapy.

Round 1: acceptance, definitions
Round 2: opening arguments
Round 3: rebuttals
Round 4: closing arguments, voters
stark73

Con

I would ask to change thie debate to is marijuana healthy? I ask you to tweak the topic slightly because I thik right now it is too lopsided
socialpinko

Pro

socialpinko forfeited this round.
stark73

Con

Medical marijuana has serious side effects, although many argue it can stifle pain, I argue pain is healthy although it may not feel like it because pain relieves body stress. Marijuana is infamous for being detrimental to a person. Now I know you are arguing medical marijuana my argument is that legalizing the medical use of marijuana allows this deadly substance to be obtained by normal people, exposing them to the harmful effects of this deadly poison, plus this drug doesn't realy do anything, all it does is relieve pain temoporaily and then send you into a state of depression.
socialpinko

Pro

"Medical marijuana has serious side effects, although many argue it can stifle pain, I argue pain is healthy although it may not feel like it because pain relieves body stress."

No citation or source showing why pain is necessarily good.

"my argument is that legalizing the medical use of marijuana allows this deadly substance to be obtained by normal people, exposing them to the harmful effects of this deadly poison"

First, people can already obtain this drug easily, albeit illegally. And again no source or citation for "harmful effects" caused by marijuana.

"plus this drug doesn't realy do anything, all it does is relieve pain temoporaily and then send you into a state of depression."

Again with no sources or citations but no matter. Here I will adequately show the positive effects medical marijuana.

Smoke

The most obvious harmful effect that I can see from medical marijuana is the damage done to one's lungs when smoking the drug. This is of course a fair concern however, one can ingest marijuana in a number of different ways, which do not significantly damage the lungs.

Vaporizer
A vaporizer uses gentle heat instead of a flame to let you inhale the ingredients. As the plant is not actually burned, smoke is not released and you can cut out the damage to your lungs that you often incur when smoking a joint.http://www.marijuanavaporizers.info...

Saltivex
Saltivex is a mouth spray developed by GW Pharmaceuticals to help combat the symptoms of multiple sclerosis. As with the vaporizer there is no smoke being inhaled by the user.

Diseases

Cancer
Cannabis can be used to relieve nausea for patients undergoing chemotherapy. Chemotherapy treatment kills cancer cells but also kills healthy cells which leave patients incredibly nauseated.
http://www.ukcia.org...

Pain
Cannabis can also be used to effectively treat anti-inflammatory, anti-spasmodic, neuroprotective, anti-oxidant, and direct pain. Medical cannabis is also more effective than opioids in that opioids can become severely addictive leaving terrible withdrawal symptoms.
http://www.letfreedomgrow.com...

AIDS
Medical cannabis can help alleviate suffering brought on by AIDS by increasing appetite to combat weight loss brought on by the disease.
http://www.marijuanalibrary.org...
stark73

Con

MArijuanan does WAY more than damage lungs, but I'll get there later.

Ok you said alot about sources, but since you forfeited the round I assumed you gave up on the debate, furthermore, I can provide sources if ou would like, if you allow me to do this it will even out the fact you forfeited a round.

My opponent claims that people can still obtain drugs albeit illegally, but I contend that rate would be much less than right if it was not legal. If it was a normal prescription drug, then people could easily smuggle it or fordoctors into prescribing it for them. Furthermore, they wouldn't need to hide and buy itfrom drug dealers, they could walk into a pharmacy and buy it for a lot cheaper price.

http://abcnews.go.com...

Tihs is the source showing pain can be beneficial. He talks marijuana alleviating sufferring, but the truth is many people could simply use it to alleviate their "daily problems." For example, you could get a headache and just go to the pharmacy and get some marijuana. The resolution debates using marijuana for anything related to th medical field, and pharmacies that sell marijuana are related to the medical field.

Smoke

"The most obvious harmful effect that I can see from medical marijuana is the damage done to one's lungs when smoking the drug. This is of course a fair concern however, one can ingest marijuana in a number of different ways, which do not significantly damage the lungs."

OK, marijuana is ILLEGAL because it damages the lungs ALOT. This is why tobacco and nicotine are not illegal. Furthermore, marijuana increases the possiblity of alzheimers and strokes, mood swings, seizures, and depression. To say it only damages the lungs is ridiculous.

Source:http://en.wikipedia.org...(drug)

He talks about the vaporizer and other forms of ingesting marijuana that don't damage the lungs, however, marijuana does ALOT more than damage the lungs, as I have stated above, he never addresses the other side effects that are found in the marijuana plant's properties itself.

He talks about marijuana relieving cancer and aids.
All marijuana does is temporarily relieve sufferring and make you feel great, and then it sends you into a state of depression, also found in my above source. Cancer and Aids patients die alot, so marijuana doesn't actually help them. Furthermore, if you give it to a weak cancer patient who is in alot of pain but can still live it could weaken them in the long run, the same with aids.

And once again, pain is GOOD sometimes because it relieves stress and signals to the body that something needs to be done.
conclusion: He makes a bunch of "no sources" arguments which I can't understand considering he FORFEITED a round which I thought he would never even post to.
socialpinko

Pro

"My opponent claims that people can still obtain drugs albeit illegally, but I contend that rate would be much less than right if it was not legal. If it was a normal prescription drug, then people could easily smuggle it or fordoctors into prescribing it for them. Furthermore, they wouldn't need to hide and buy itfrom drug dealers, they could walk into a pharmacy and buy it for a lot cheaper price."

This is in essence a non-argument. You write this paragraph with the assumption that marijuana is inherently wrong and has no useful medical purposes. You could make the same argument for any other drug. It's like saying that Tylenol should not be legal cause then people would be able to take it. You are not pointing out any negative effects of marijuana.

Pain

Your source saying why we experience pain and why it can be useful does not extend to people who have already been diagnnosed. Pain is used to bring to our attention that there is a problem. However, once the problem is found the doctor figures out how to fix the problem and make the pain go away. What use is pain when we already know the cause? You might as well argue to illegalize all pain relievers. Should Motrin, Tylenol, and Advil be prohibited because pain can at times be good?

Smoke

You then say that marijuana is illegal because it damages the lungs.

"OK, marijuana is ILLEGAL because it damages the lungs ALOT."

If it is really illegal because it damages the lungs as you have just conceded than the fact that you can ingest marijuana through a vaporizer, mouth spray, and in pill form takes away your reasoning as to why medical marijuana should not be legal. We can really end the debate right here but I think I'll refute the rest of your arguments just to make sure.

Side Effects

Your next point was that marijuana can increase the chances of things like alzheimers and strokes. You fail to mention that smoking and alcohol consumption can also lead to a stroke.

"Other modifiable risk factors include high blood cholesterol levels, diabetes, cigarette smoking(active and passive), heavy alcohol consumption"

You seem to have not had any problem earlier as to smoking and alcohol being legal as you pointed out one of the reasons why they were not illegal.

You also say marijuana causes mood swings but mood swings can be caused by a chemical imbalance or even hormonal changes(puberty).
http://www.thehealthcenter.info...
Most people will go through mood swings at one point or another so not ingesting marijuana is not l likely to shield you completely.

As for your argument that marijuana causes depression you also fail to realize what other common legal drugs have been shown to cause depression in patients. Drugs that are used to treat high blood pressure, such as beta-blockers or reserpine can cause depression.
http://www.webmd.com...

Now for a list of drugs that can cause seizures. The list is actually very long so I'll only post a few. They can be antibiotics like Amphotec or Cipro. They can be pain relievers like Ultram. They can be drugs used to treat ADHD like Ritalin and Concerta or antihistamines like Benadryl. Here is a longer list if you'd like.
http://www.epilepsy.com...

"Cancer and Aids patients die alot, so marijuana doesn't actually help them."

This line here particularly troubles me. True, AIDS and cancer patients die a lot but so has every person who has ever lived. And just because medical cannabis does not cure the disease does not mean that is nnot helpful in that it alleviates patient's suffering while they are alive.

You posted certain symptoms and diseases that marijuana can put you at risk for however I showed you that side effects like these are actually quite common and that that does not cancel out the ways in which medical marijuana can help AIDS patients gain weight, helps to help cancer patients who become nautious because of chemotherapy, and how marijuana can be used as a much safer pain reliever than opioids.

You tried to counteract this point by saying that pain is good. However the point of pain acording to your source is to point out danger or something wrong with the body. There is no point in pain once the cause of it is known and it is being treated.

You also did not adequately show that medical cannabis does not do the things and help patients in the ways in which I described.

VOTE PRO!
stark73

Con

My opponent says my argument avbout how making marijuana available in pharamacies would increase use is assuming marijuana is bad. I say it is bad if normal people use it simply for the pleasure, which is what would possibly happen if we legalize.

Pain is good under normal circumstances, but I never thought you would talk ONLY about situations in which the person was doomed to die anyways.

"Your source saying why we experience pain and why it can be useful does not extend to people who have already been diagnnosed. Pain is used to bring to our attention that there is a problem. However, once the problem is found the doctor figures out how to fix the problem and make the pain go away. What use is pain when we already know the cause? You might as well argue to illegalize all pain relievers. Should Motrin, Tylenol, and Advil be prohibited because pain can at times be good?"

The examples you gave I assumed were people who were going to die anyways as you keep saying marijuana "relieves sufferring." Thus it comes down to who is minizmizing sufferring the most in the timeframe.My opponent does not attack the fact that I say while marijuana may seem good, it is actually bad in the long run even for dying people because they usually experience the side effects of depression and other horrible feelings which they carry on to their deathbed.

"If it is really illegal because it damages the lungs as you have just conceded than the fact that you can ingest marijuana through a vaporizer, mouth spray, and in pill form takes away your reasoning as to why medical marijuana should not be legal. We can really end the debate right here but I think I'll refute the rest of your arguments just to make sure."

You completely failed to read my arguments throughly. I said the substance in MARIJUANA is harmful and causes way more than lung cancer. The pills as you said only solves for the smoke part of it, but even if you solve for lung cancer you don't solve for alzheimers or depression.

"Your next point was that marijuana can increase the chances of things like alzheimers and strokes. You fail to mention that smoking and alcohol consumption can also lead to a stroke."

OK, why is marijuana illegal? Because marijuana is much more detrimental to the body this is common sense. Furthermore, true alchohl and smoking lead to strokes, but my opponenet never addresses how marijuana eads to alzheimers and depression ten times the amount found in tobacco.

"You also say marijuana causes mood swings but mood swings can be caused by a chemical imbalance or even hormonal changes(puberty)."

Actually in my source marijuana is specifically mentioned to case alot more depression then puberty, I'm pretty sure marijuana would not be illegal if it wasn't.

"As for your argument that marijuana causes depression you also fail to realize what other common legal drugs have been shown to cause depression in patients. Drugs that are used to treat high blood pressure, such as beta-blockers or reserpine can cause depression."

Why is marijuana illegal? Because the level of depression is way higher. Furthermore, the drugs you talk about actually SAVE lives, whereas marijuana is designed to "reduce sufferring" while at the same time it is only making you suffer more, which he never attacks.

This line here particularly troubles me. True, AIDS and cancer patients die a lot but so has every person who has ever lived. And just because medical cannabis does not cure the disease does not mean that is not helpful in that it alleviates patient's suffering while they are alive.

Ok once again, my source in my last speech said that marijuana afteraffects far outweigh the temporary relief. You aren't actually doing these people a favor. The still feel the pain of cancer even if it is numbed but also feel the pain of marijuana and usually end up dying depressed, thus marijuana isn't the solution for a "peaceful death."

VOTE CON
Posted by stark73 5 years ago
stark73
We can continue this debate, simply clarify what the resolution is in your first speech, the voters read ur arguments anyways so they'll know.
Posted by socialpinko 5 years ago
socialpinko
You want me to change the debate to if marijuana can be healthy? If so then we need to start anoter debate as I cannot edit this anymore as you have already accepted it.
Posted by socialpinko 5 years ago
socialpinko
I did not intentiionally make the debate one sided. I have met people who deny any medical uses of marijuana and wanted to research it for myself.
Posted by stark73 5 years ago
stark73
wow rly? making these debates intentionally one sided just to boost ensure a win?
Posted by joshuaXlawyer 5 years ago
joshuaXlawyer
oh yes lets argue factuality, this debate is stupid.
Vote Placed by joshuaXlawyer 5 years ago
joshuaXlawyer
socialpinkostark73Tied
Reasons for voting decision: debate was ok but mediocore
Vote Placed by TUF 5 years ago
TUF
socialpinkostark73Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct via forfeit.