AgnosticRadar
HolyShearim

Medical Marijuna should be legalized in all 50 states (This is a practice Debate)

HolyShearim

AgnosticRadar

Pro

First Round is STRICTLY ACCEPTANCE
Second Round is Position
Third Round is Rebuttals and supporting facts
Fourth round is ending arguments and finishing facts

THIS IS A PRACTICE DEBATE!! Thanks I just want to sharpen my skills.
HolyShearim

Con

This looks interesting. I'm also new to the website, so this is a good opportunity for both of us to familiarize ourselves with the format of DDO.
AgnosticRadar

Pro

Thanks Con for quick acceptance.

Alright lets do this

My position is for the legalization of medical marijuna across the U.S.

I'll give my rebuttals and supporting facts next round.

This concludes my round one. Thanks
HolyShearim

Con

In this first negative speech, I will be arguing against the position that medical marijuana should be legalized in all 50 states. Here's just a quick summary of what I'll be talking about.

1) Legalization of medical marijuana is a 'back door' for consumption of recreational marijuana,

2) Marijuana is a highly dangerous and addictive substance

3) Marijuana is dangerous

Contention 1: Much of the marijuana ends up used by users who have no serious medical conditions. There are multiple loopholes in the law which allows said persons to do so.

"Proponents claim that safeguards against abuse are in the bills. However, experience in other states shows this is not so. For example, one supposed safeguard is that only licensed doctors can prescribe marijuana use. However, what happens is a handful of doctors set up practices where they see 50 " 100 people a day and do nothing but hand out marijuana cards to anyone with money to pay them. In Montana, for example, traveling marijuana caravans take pot doctors from town to town, handing out marijuana cards. This should be illegal. If a doctor openly prescribed Xanax for everyone or oxycontin for everyone, the licensing board would yank his license and he"d probably go to jail. However, so far, "medical marijuana laws" protect these marijuana doctors so the licensing board can"t touch them." [1]

Contention 2: Marijuana is dangerous. I'll just list a few short term reasons why below.

"-Impaired short-term memory
-Difficulty thinking and problem solving
-Anxiety attacks or feelings of paranoia
-Impaired muscle coordination and judgment
-Increased susceptibility to infections
-Dangerous impairment of driving skills. Studies show that it impairs braking time, attention to traffic signals and other driving behaviors. This impairment can last 12 to 24 hours due to accumulation of marijuana in fatty tissue.
-Cardiac problems for people with heart disease or high blood pressure, because marijuana increases the heart rate"[2]

Contention 3: Marijuana is addictive. Marijuana is as addictive as alcohol[3]. Here are a few statistics proving the similarities: "One study looked at 2,446 young adults between the ages of 14-24, and followed them for a period of 4 years. Approximately 10% met the criteria for marijuana addiction. 17% experienced withdrawal when they stopped using, 14% had difficulty controlling their use, and 13% continued to use even though they had health problems due to their marijuana use."[4]

So, at the end of the debate round, we need to take into consideration the effects of the legalization of marijuana in the 50 states - and for all of the reasons above, I urge a negative ballot.

1. http://drlwilson.com...
2. http://brown.edu...
3. http://www.addictionsandrecovery.org...
4. addictionandrecover.org quoting American Psychiatric Association
AgnosticRadar

Pro

"1) Legalization of medical marijuana is a 'back door' for consumption of recreational marijuana,

3) Marijuana is dangerous"

Alright to start off, thank you Con for the response.

But for the above argument, this is very incorrect. Marijuna is not very dangerous, there has been no known deaths directly tied to the consumption or use of Marijuna. Also Marijuna is not addictive. I have personally smoked marijuna, and I have never felt any of these "side effects" The only reason users feel a feeling paranoia is because they are afraid they are going to get caught and get in HUGE trouble, which is wrong, if the government is okay with the legalization of weed, then why does it carry such a high punishment for the use, and LEGAL distribution. Now I understand this if it is illegal, but most of the time, you go to jail longer for selling weed than killing someone.

" Marijuana is addictive. Marijuana is as addictive as alcohol[3]. Here are a few statistics proving the similarities: "One study looked at 2,446 young adults between the ages of 14-24, and followed them for a period of 4 years. Approximately 10% met the criteria for marijuana addiction. 17% experienced withdrawal when they stopped using, 14% had difficulty controlling their use, and 13% continued to use even though they had health problems due to their marijuana use."

2nd Argument:
for the above argument, again I have smoked weed, and sadly I to have Drank. And non of these were addictive to me. And also Marijuna doe snot raise the heart beat, it actually slows it down and makes you calm, it also doesn't kill braincells, it actually promotes cell growth, and it is used for medical use I was diagnosed with chronic migraines at the age of ten, after I tried weed, my headaches went away for quite a while, but as soon as I stopped, they came back.

This concludes my rebuttals and contentions. Thank you.

ALSO SORRY FOR NOT RESPONDING QUICKLY, I DON'T HAVE A TON OF TIME IN CLASSES.
HolyShearim

Con

No problem, Pro.

I'm just going to go down and address Pro's arguments one by one, while also bringing up some more factual evidence and rhetoric.

"But for the above argument, this is very incorrect. Marijuna is not very dangerous, there has been no known deaths directly tied to the consumption or use of Marijuna.

I would like to begin with the fact that Pro has brought up no sources explaining how marijuana is not dangerous. He basically said that 'because there have been no known deaths directly tied to the consumption or use of marijuana, it's not dangerous.' In the United Kingdom, more than 30,000 people could die of cannabis smoking yearly.[1] There are a few more reasons on why Marijuana is dangerous, that this quote will explain below.

" People who smoke marijuana often have the same respiratory problems as cigarette smokers. [...] Marijuana contains some of the same, and sometimes even more, of the cancer-causing chemicals found in cigarette smoke. [...] Marijuana may also cause testicular cancer.

Marijuana also may affect mental health. Studies show that early use may increase the risk of developing psychosis [...] Also, rates of marijuana use are often higher in people with symptoms of depression or anxiety."[2][3]

Also Marijuna is not addictive.

No evidence to back up this point besides Pro's personal experiences which are definitely not universal. You as the voters should side with the person with more evidence and statistics to back up his/her points.

The only reason users feel a feeling paranoia is because they are afraid they are going to get caught and get in HUGE trouble, which is wrong, if the government is okay with the legalization of weed, then why does it carry such a high punishment for the use, and LEGAL distribution.

This entire point really contradicts itself - first, the Pro says that we need to legalize it medically, and then he goes on to say that the 'government is okay with it'. Please clarify in your next speech.

Argument 2)

(I don't have enough room to restate his entire point, please refer back to his 'Argument 2'.) First of all, I have brought up statistics on how marijuana is addicting, while Pro continues to assume that his experience is universal. Plus, all those responses have NO warrants- I have provided actually studies, while Pro just cites his personal experience, and brings facts into the debate round that have no citations.

Finally, Pro has brought up no advantages of legalizing medical marijuana.

At the end of today's debate round, I would urge a vote for the debater with more credibility and facts.

1. http://www.dailymail.co.uk...

2. http://www.drugs.com...

3. http://www.drugs.com...

AgnosticRadar

Pro

AgnosticRadar forfeited this round.
HolyShearim

Con

Well, my opponent has forfeited the round and failed to respond to my arguments.

Please vote Con!
Posted by AgnosticRadar 2 years ago
AgnosticRadar
Also, why didn't you just PM me? Instead of being childish and post it in my debates comments?? Grow up
Posted by AgnosticRadar 2 years ago
AgnosticRadar
Wow, someone is over-reacting about this. You should probably calm down and take a breather. It's just a f*cking post, get over it.
Posted by HolyShearim 3 years ago
HolyShearim
I don't really have an opinion yet on the legalization of medical marijuana, so don't make those presumptions..
Posted by AgnosticRadar 3 years ago
AgnosticRadar
Dude you only have a CHANCE of getting testicular cancer when smoking the seeds, but if you smoke the seeds and stems then you will become steril. And when you said "In the United Kingdom, more than 30,000 people could die of cannabis smoking yearly" The statement says COULD it does not say they will die from smoking cannabis, and the only reason it said I forfeited is because I wasn't online for a couple of days, I was doing more important things. And this debate is pretty much opinionated, my views are different than yours, so in my opinion, medical marijuna is legit and should be legalized. You just have to be smart about what you do, if you smoke the seeds and stems, then yes, you will become steril, and you will have a chance of getting testicular cancer, but please give a source that says you will defiantly get cancer.
Posted by AgnosticRadar 3 years ago
AgnosticRadar
Sorry for not responding quickly, and also sorry for not citing my works..I just remembered it after I posted my argument.
Posted by HolyShearim 3 years ago
HolyShearim
Sorry, messed up the order of my contention points.
Posted by HolyShearim 3 years ago
HolyShearim
Good luck!
Vote Placed by bsh1 3 years ago
bsh1
AgnosticRadarHolyShearimTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff + no sources = 3 points to Con