PreciousC
awesome-500

Medical Research Using Live Animals

PreciousC

Pro

Testing on animals has contributed to many life-saving cures and treatments. By using the pancreas of a dog, scientists were able to develop insulin which is a necessity for people with type one and type two diabetes (Animal-testing.procon.org). The polio vaccine was developed by testing on animals. If testing was not done on animals, the polio epidemic of the first half of the 1900s wouldn't have ended and the world would have lost much of that generation and the generations to come. We have also been able to get a better understanding of cancers because animals and humans can develop many of the same cancers (animal-testing.procon.org). Nearly all Nobel Laureate in Physiology and Medicine findings since 1901 have relied on animal testing. (http://www.understandinganimalresearch.org.uk...) Most modern surgical techniques including hip replacement surgery, heart transplants, kidney transplants, and blood infusions owe their success to animal testing(http://www.understandinganimalresearch.org.uk...). Because of animal testing, many of the people we value in our lives such as grandparents have been given an extension on life.
awesome-500

Con

Animals are in pain when they are issued with the disease, but we should not hurt them even more. Weather the animals are dead or live, their cells still are alive. The medicine will interact with the cells and then we can see if it cures the cells. (Goodall )
No matter what they will still have physical pain and psychological distress. (HSI)
PreciousC

Pro

Despite advancements in technology, there is no adequate alternative to testing on a living, whole body system. Studying cells in a petri dish is not a good enough analysis. A cell cannot show how whole body systems are related to each other/how they affect each other (animal-testing.procon.org). There is artificial skin out there to use that acts like human skin, but it does not show how a substance can effect and penetrate the skin and then affect the rest of a bodily system (animal-testing.procon.org). When it comes to evaluating the side effects of a drug, a circulatory system is required to carry the medicine throughout the body to again, see how a whole body is affected. Studying a thing such as blindness cannot be done with things like artificial cells or tissue cultures, the alternative people against animal testing often argue (animal-testing.procon.org). Animals are great subjects for testing because animals suffer from similar diseases that humans suffer from including TB, the flu, and asthma (animal-testing.procon.org). Mice share 95% of their DNA with us and chimpanzees share 99% of their DNA with us. Because of the ethical issues regarding testing on humans, animals that are very similar to us are our only alternative.

awesome-500

Con

awesome-500 forfeited this round.
PreciousC

Pro

Animal testing isn’t just a selfish system of research; animal testing benefits animals just as much as it benefits humans. Vaccines for animals have been developed to help prevent them from becoming extinct from epidemics or being widely affective from an epidemic such as the chlamydia epidemic that has affected a koala population (animal-testing.procon.org). Thanks to animal testing that was previously done for humans on animals, the same medicine that has benefited humans have also been able to benefit animals too such as anticonvulsants for epilepsy (http://www.swaebr.org...). Animal testing is in the works to find a cure for cancer; cancer affects both animals and humans. Testing is being done to figure out the environmental correlation between the cancers both humans and animals contract and how to treat the tumor types we share (http://www.swaebr.org...).
awesome-500

Con

awesome-500 forfeited this round.
PreciousC

Pro

Animal testing is regulated and humane. The animals are cared for because of regulations that are in place to protect animals. There are specific regulations regarding the size of an animal enclosure, the temperature of the enclosure, and the animal’s access to clean food and water (animal-testing.procon.org). The animals are also required to be checked by vets regularly (animal-testing.procon.org). Animals that are tested on are treated in much the same way they would be treated in their natural environment to keep the animals healthy and happy; this is ensures adequate research as well (animal-testing.procon.org). An example of this natural treatment would be that dogs that are tested on get exercise breaks twice daily (animal-testing.procon.org). Random animals aren’t just picked off the street or out of the wild to be tested on either. Tested animals are specifically bred for just that: animal testing (aavs.org/neavs.org). Animals that are specifically bred for testing include animals we typically see as pests like mice and rats (aavs.org/neavs.org).

awesome-500

Con

awesome-500 forfeited this round.
PreciousC

Pro

PreciousC forfeited this round.
awesome-500

Con

awesome-500 forfeited this round.
Posted by IBeatEricGumina 2 years ago
IBeatEricGumina
I agree with the pro side because it is for a better cause. I also agree with the pro side because the con side forfeited. The con side did not have enough evidence or enough argument.

Anthony Gomez
Period 5
Posted by IBeatEricGumina 2 years ago
IBeatEricGumina
Posted by corridor 2 years ago
corridor
I agree with the con side of this agruement. I dont believe in using live animal in experiment. I undersand that con only posted one agrument but they did say that it causes them more pain. ANd i dont belive that we should he animal suffer more.
Signed
Justin Hall
Posted by MadisonJohnson 2 years ago
MadisonJohnson
Before the debate, I agreed with the Con side. But the Pro side was so factual that they had persuaded me. I think that the Pro argued well. I do believe that it wrong to do any experiments on animals but it has helped to create many things of now.
-Madison J. 5th
Posted by PimpDaddy-1 2 years ago
PimpDaddy-1
Chris S. 5th
Posted by PimpDaddy-1 2 years ago
PimpDaddy-1
I agree with the pro side because using animals to benefit man kind for diseases really helps. If it kills a couple hundred animals, oh well. This can also tie in with Animal cloning, using the clones to test for cures for certain diseases.
Posted by foreverkayleigh 2 years ago
foreverkayleigh
I personally believe it is inhuman to use animals for medical research. After seeing the arguments I feel that the pro side was well conducted and more convincing. I see both the pros and cons but I have to side with the pro. Kayleigh Saal per.5
Posted by nLane87 2 years ago
nLane87
I believe that it is cruel to use live animals for medical research because animals have feeling too. However, the pro side had very solid evidence and was very convincing. I also liked how the pro side use so many sources and evidence in their debate.
Nyome Lane p.5
Posted by nLane87 2 years ago
nLane87
Posted by bgarn 2 years ago
bgarn
One before Brinkley G. 5