gdaysamantha
pgoulaimpact

Meditation before a tournament will be beneficial towards our team.

gdaysamantha

Pro

So what is meditation, something you do in yoga? if your a Buddhist ? if you a monk? Well meditation comes in various forms, and is involved of each mentioned above. In this debate I would not like to define meditation as something to do with religion, or yoga.

Meditation is a practice of concentrated focus upon a sound, object, visualization, the breath, movement, or attention itself in order to increase awareness of the present moment, reduce stress, promote relaxation, and enhance personal and spiritual growth.

As you may have seen at past tournaments some debate teams do a certain "tradition" before competing, like tounge twisters for example.

The reason I think having a tradition such as "meditation" before a tournament is beneficial towards our team is that, mediating will calm nerves, reduce stress, promote relaxation, bring focus to our minds, ECT.

Meditating does more than just feel good and calm you down, it makes you perform better - and alters the structure of your brain, researchers have found.

( http://www.newscientist.com...
People who meditate say the practice restores their energy, and some claim they need less sleep as a result. Many studies have reported that the brain works differently during meditation - brainwave patterns change and neuronal firing patterns synchronise. But whether meditation actually brings any of the restorative benefits of sleep has remained largely unexplored. )

Now with this said I would like to present my first point,

1. Mediation will bring various health benefits towards the debate team, and will increase their chances of a "better performance"

I will listen to your arguments, then refute them.

LET THE GAUNTLET BE THROWN :D
pgoulaimpact

Con

Yes meditation has been proven to work in many cases. As a matter of fact I am pretty familiar with this issue and have tried meditating many times. But while scientists have proven meditation to be beneficial to some to me its just a hazard. You see when I try to focus on this center dot and put all my stress into it i just get cross eyed.

But first i would like to point out that the word team implies that it would be beneficial to everyone and not just most or some so in order to win you have to prove that it helps the team as a whole.

My contentions are as follows: 1) Meditation actually brings more stress and 2) meditation brings physical pain.

GOOD LUCK :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
gdaysamantha

Pro

Thank you for accepting this debate, good luck too you.
I'm sorry that your mediation experiences have not been successful, maybe you should get a teacher, a fellow friend, research it, or simply find a you tube video on it. Focusing on the center dot, also called you "third-eye" is one method of reaching the state of nirvana, like I said sorry to you. But this debate is not about OUR personal issues.

Now for the word team, I understand it will have to be beneficial to everyone and not just most. And here is where I will refute that,

- Meditation brings more stress ( refuted )
Now honestly lets say you sit down for about 10 minutes and just close your eyes, and not even meditate. Just sit there. What happens ? Your blood pressure lowers, your breathing becomes regular, your hormones level decreases, your heart rate decreases, and your metabolic rate decreases. With that said, I don't see how anyone one person participating in the "mediation" could not have positive effects on their body. I don't see how mediation will bring stress at any level, unless your stressing to be relaxed? Stress is a force from the outside world impinging on the individual. As stated by medterms.com, stress can be best managed by regular exercise, meditation or other relaxation techniques, structured time outs, and learning new coping strategies to create predictability in our lives.

The management of stress depend mainly on the willingness of a person to make the changes necessary for a healthy lifestyle. Taking any amount of time to relax and let go of your nerves will bring positive effects to your body and not stress.

- Meditation brings physical pain (refuted)
The only possible physical pain your could bring upon your self with respect to meditation is the physical pain you bring to yourself " mind over matter " but that's a different debate. I cannot find one static or proved research that shows that mediation brings physical pain. Can you please provide me with your sources for this contention ?
pgoulaimpact

Con

Meditation brings more stress. Whenever I sit around and just do nothing and try to relax my mind won't allow it. I sit there and then all my problems come to me and I try to think about it to come up with a solution but I just get more stressed out.

Meditation brings physical pain. I have had a teacher try and help me learn to meditate. Well whenever I did this and tried to focus on this so called "third-eye" I get my eyes crossed and it gives me a headache.

Therefore meditation doesn't help me as much as some would like. And I know this isn't a debate about me but I am part of the team. Also when our president on the team tried to meditate she just hurt her lungs laughing so hard, which ties into my 2nd contention.
gdaysamantha

Pro

Okay so basically we are getting to some rambling about how YOU can't have a successful meditation. Well lets look at the big picture,

1. You never refuted : 1. Mediation will bring various health benefits towards the debate team, and will increase their chances of a "better performance". And since you did not I should win because this was a "dropped argument".

This brings me to refuting what you posted in your last argument,
In the resolution it clearly states "will be" and is talking about the future not the past, so any past problems you or any other debate member has had does not pertain to this debate.

Also for your second contention of physical pain, is a headache physical pain ? Is their any evidence showing that trying to meditate causes headaches ?

Basically what I am trying to say is that, learning how to meditate as a team and then meditating before a tournament will be beneficial towards our team.
pgoulaimpact

Con

pgoulaimpact forfeited this round.
Posted by mollyboo522 8 years ago
mollyboo522
Greg: note that you said that I tried it yet didn't take it serious.
Excatly. It wasn't like I was seriously trying to Mediate. I was doing it because we were all hyper and whatnot. We laughted the whole time. I was laying on the ground because it was funny to think about all of us laying down on the floor at 2 am. Btw, Greg. You weren't there.
Posted by saamanthagrl 8 years ago
saamanthagrl
IT REALLY SUCKS THEY DELETED MY OLD ACCOUNT and if I do win I wont get the credit for it!
Posted by gregthedestroyer 8 years ago
gregthedestroyer
your welcome. but i still want to try it.
Posted by gdaysamantha 8 years ago
gdaysamantha
Thanks Greg, but honestly thanks Molly for trying it, I love you (: I just don't think I am going to meditate around you guys because I don't want to offend anyone. I hope no one votes on their personal beliefs, but on how the debate went.
Posted by gregthedestroyer 8 years ago
gregthedestroyer
i agree with Sam. for one the topic says will be beneficial. this doesn't mean past experience. that is all Steven has said was about past experience. molly if it is against your religion then why did you try it? unsuccessful i might add because yall did not take it serious. This was just a fun debate ike sam said. so untill everybody tries it seriously then you have nothing to say. unless it truly goes against your religion then i respect it. but don't say it does when you have tried it. actually tring doesn't mean just talking to somebody bout it. or talking to them then you go home and try it by yourself.
Posted by gdaysamantha 8 years ago
gdaysamantha
We don't nessicarily have to do it, this was just a topic for a debate. I understand many people on the team don't want to do it, and I am fine with that. And Brendon I feel like after I debated you on PETA you are getting all defensive towards me ):
Posted by brendizzle29 8 years ago
brendizzle29
Steven clearly refuted your first contention. His whole case is about how it wouldn't be beneficial. Also, you know that I despise "New Age crap" and so do many other Christian members of the team so this would just divided us between those who meditate and those who don't. I'm sorry if this insults you, I certainly do not intend to, but this is a direct affront to the belief system off which I try to base all my decisions.
Posted by mollyboo522 8 years ago
mollyboo522
My only thing (besides the religion aspect of it) is that we don't excatly have time to sit around.
We go none stop.
And if we did have time I think it would be better if we did tongue-twisters.

And yes, just tell me when.
Posted by gdaysamantha 8 years ago
gdaysamantha
haha maybe I shouldn't of specified the resolution, we could just sit and relax?
I don't know, but I love you too. I wanna hang out one of these days.
Posted by mollyboo522 8 years ago
mollyboo522
Honestly, It's against my religion to meditate.
So, naturally, I'm against it.
And it was a joke to me. All I could do was laugh.
But I love you Sam.
Vote Placed by brendizzle29 8 years ago
brendizzle29
gdaysamanthapgoulaimpactTied
Vote Placed by saamanthagrl 8 years ago
saamanthagrl
gdaysamanthapgoulaimpactTied