Mediterranean War Debate

Started: 8/16/2015 Category: Games

This is a war debate. It is impossible to accept this debate. If you want to accept, please send me a PM. If you somehow find a way to accept this debate, you will automatically forfeit the complete 7 points. Tell me what country you will represent, and tell me why I should choose you to be my opponent; give me a very good reason as to why you want to do this debate and why you would be a worthy opponent. I am Turkey. Comment if you are interested. If you want to debate, message me.

All countries bordering the Mediterranean are allowed.

If you are a member of the Art of War (AOW) debate group [created by @The-Voice-of-Truth], then you must vote on this debate. If you are a member of AOW and accept this debate, then state your win/loss ratio.

If you are interested in joining AOW, message @TheRussian or @The-Voice-of-Truth. The primary prerequisite to join this group is: you have to have participated in AT LEAST ONE war debate. If you are a member of AOW, you must vote on other members' war debates unless a valid reason is given. You can challenge other members to debates related to war game scenarios.

There is a Moderator who will ensure that this debate follows the below rules. For this debate, the Moderator is (insert member name).

There are some strict rules that apply. Voters must penalize any violation of the rules.

1. When you accept the debate, state your country, and state the numbers of your armed forces (aircraft, men, ships, etc.). Use this source for military numbers ONLY, as it is the most reliable:;

2. Each country's turn can range from about 3 days to 60 days long, so all actions must be in accordance with this time period. (DO NOT try to win in one turn! Take into account that your opponent is also a living, thinking being that can adapt to a situation.)

3. Morale is a key factor in your armed forces' effectiveness.

4. You may produce more military forces (soldiers, ships, aircraft, tanks/humvees/cavalry), but it depends on your military budget, your country's population, and how industrialized your nation is.

5. You may choose to invade or defend.

6. The defender makes the first move.

7. The defender's primary military objective is to remove the attacker's forces from the defender's territory. The attacker's primary military objective is to annex the other country, or destroy it (physically, economically, etc). Secondary military objectives can be made by the debaters if they wish. Fulfillment of the military objectives is victory. If either side fails to fulfill their set objectives, the voters are free to reasonably determine the winner based off of who was more successful in completing their objectives.

8. If a nation's capital is destroyed/liberated, this does not necessarily mean that the war is won; the capital could be recaptured. If one of the debaters destroys or controls the administration of the opposing country, OR if the opposing country is destroyed to the point of no administration, then that debater is immediately guaranteed a 7-point victory.

9. Every aspect of the war must be realistic and must remain within the parameters established by the rules and the title. Any unrealistic action and actions deviating from the rules will cause the entire action to be void. Any further deviation after the first void action will result in a complete debate forfeiture.

10. Weapons of mass destruction are NOT allowed. A WMD is defined as:

-Radiological weapon or a radiological dispersion device: any weapon designed to spread radioactive material

-Nuclear or Thermonuclear weapon: an explosive device that derives its destructive force from nuclear reactions

-Chemical weapon: a device that inflicts chemicals designed to harm or kill humans/animals

-Biological weapon: the use of biological toxins or infectious organisms to inflict damage.

Non-conventional detonation of conventional weapons IS allowed.

11. No allies (NATO, UN, Muslim Brotherhood, or otherwise) under ANY circumstances. Annexation of other countries or agreements that allow formations of larger nations and/or direct military intervention is NOT allowed. Personnel and forces CANNOT be supplied by other nations.

You CAN have military or diplomatic agreements and/or treaties with other nations (agreements not to interfere etc). Radical groups, militant organizations, paramilitary factions et cetera are NOT allowed.

Religion is NOT a factor. No economic sanctions from any other nation, but economic warfare is allowed.

You cannot increase your country"s population, nor can you use ANY method to allow the involvement of other countries other than what is specified. You cannot receive donations or economic support from private agencies.

12. Cyberwarfare is allowed. Electronic warfare is limited to radar/radio jamming and interception; NO EMPs.

13. The country chosen must be one of the 206 sovereign states recognized by the United Nations as of 2015. Former states such as the USSR are not accepted, nor are territory-controlling factions not officially recognized by the United Nations, such as the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL, currently the Islamic State), and Gaza Strip, controlled by Hamas, but recognized by the UN as a part of Palestine. You cannot choose my nation.

14. Appropriate conduct MUST be maintained: no insults, cursing, profanity, vulgar language or trolling. Any violation of appropriate conduct WILL BE REPORTED to DDO authorities.

15. If you fail to follow the rules once, you will be given a warning and your actions in that round will be void. Further disobedience of ANY of these rules WILL result in an immediate loss of the debate.

16. The Instigator is Pro.

17. These debates are strictly Force versus Force; no civilian action is allowed unless Total War is declared.

18. TOTAL WAR can be declared only as an absolute last resort. Total war is defined as the complete mobilization of all available manpower of the country. In a state of total war, every able citizen either joins the military personnel or the military labor workforce.

19. All scenarios MUST be realistic; there MUST be an established reason for conflict.

20. We may either follow the date-time storyline format, or state the events that occur directly as realistically possible in a period of 45 days.

21. This is a Category 2 AOW debate. A category 2 debate DO NOT allow the usage of WMDs. Category 1 debates allow WMDs.

(A-I) flag of Israel vs flag of Turkey (Walle)
Thanks Walle for allowing me to engage in this debate/war with you as I am sure it will be quite fun. I am to be Israel on the defensive for this war. As I have never taken part in an AoW debate, I anticipate my performance being poor, however I'll try nonetheless!

The following data all comes directly from the Global Firepower Website [1].

Going beyond military equipment totals and perceived fighting strength is the actual manpower that drives a given military. Wars of attrition favor those with more.

Total Population: 7,821,850
Available Manpower: 3,511,190
Fit for Service: 2,963,642
Reaching Military Age Annually: 121,722]
Active Frontline Personnel: 160,000
Active Reserve Personnel: 630,000

Tank value includes Main Battle Tanks, light tanks and tank destroyers, either wheeled or tracked. AFV value includes Armored Personnel Carriers (APCs) and Infantry Fighting Vehicles (IFVs).

Tanks: 4,170
Armored Fighting Vehicles (AFVs): 10,185
Self-Propelled Guns (SPGs): 650
Towed-Artillery: 300
Multiple-Launch Rocket Systems (MLRSs): 48

Includes both fixed-wing and rotary-wing aircraft from all branches of service.

Total Aircraft: 684
Fighters/Interceptors: 242
Fixed-Wing Attack Aircraft: 242
Transport Aircraft: 101
Trainer Aircraft: 247
Helicopters: 143
Attack Helicopters: 48

Aircraft Carrier value includes dedicated "helicopter carrier" vessels. Total naval strength includes all known auxiliaries as well.

Total Naval Strength: 66
Aircraft Carriers: 0
Frigates: 0
Destroyers: 0
Corvettes: 3
Submarines: 5
Coastal Defense Craft: 56
Mine Warfare: 0

Despite the advances made in battlefield technology, oil remains the lifeblood of any fighting force as well as local economy.

Oil Production: 3,800 bbl/day
Oil Consumption: 240,000 bbl/day]
Proven Oil Reserves: 11,500,000 bbl/day

War is as much a battle of logistics - moving man and machine from points all over - as it is direct combat. Labor Force reflects possible wartime industry strength.

Labor Force: 3,493,000
Merchant Marine Strength: 8]
Major Ports and Terminals: 4
Roadway Coverage: 18,290
Railway Coverage: 975
Serviceable Airports: 47

Regardless of military strength in numbers, war is still driven by financing as much as any one leader or weapon.

Defense Budget: $17,000,000,000
External Debt: $96,300,000,000
Reserves of Foreign Exchange and Gold: $80,740,000,000
Purchasing Power Parity: $273,200,000,000

Geographical values primarily figure into a defensive-minded war (i.e. invasion).

Square Land Area: 20,770 km
Coastline: 273 km
Shared Border: 1,068 km
Waterways: 0 km

The IDF (Israeli Defense Forces) has been deemed the strongest in the Middle East (including Turkey) [1]. Israel has been heavily supplied with American weaponry in the past and has engaged in four full out wars and several other encounters in less than a century. The IDF has the strongest Air Force in the Middle East with 680 modern aircraft. Chris Harmer, a senior naval analyst at the Institute for the Study of War, stated that ""Pilot to pilot, airframe to airframe, the Israeli air force is the best in the world," [2].

As the defender, I am obliged to make the first move in the war, which I shall do now.

Israeli Turkish relations have been in steady decline since the Gaza Flotilla Raid in 2010 when a Turkish ship carrying humanitarian aid and construction materials was sunk by the Israeli Navy. In 2013 Turkey revealed Israeli special agents based in Iran, harming relations even further. By 2015, the tension had risen to a boiling point...

AUGUST, 2015

16 August
- Turkey protests Israel's new arms agreement with Cyprus, allowing for the future transport of 30 Merkava IV tanks and 2 Boeing F-15 Fighters to the Cypriot Army. Israel refuses to break off the trade agreement.

18 August - A Turkish Submarine sinks a Israeli convoy, suspected to be heading to Cyprus. Israel demands that Turkey makes an official apology. Turkey refuses.

22 August - Israel issues an embargo on Turkey.

23 August - Israeli fighters are caught flying far in to Turkish airspace near Ankara.

27 August - Turkey declares war on Israel. Israel mobilizes reserve units.

28 August - Israel deploys Northern Command to the two major naval bases in the north. Israel deploys Southern Command to the Naval base in Ashod, while the 80th "Edom" Division is deployed to the naval base in Eilat. The five divisions of Central Command are divided. 162nd Armored Division and 98th Paratrooper Division are deployed to Tell Aviv. West Bank Division and the Two Reserve Armored Divisions remain in reserve around Jerusalem.

Israel begins production of 25 bombers and 100 Merkava Tanks.

29 August - Prime Minister A-I gives a televised speech regarding the "Unprovoked Turkish Invasion of Israel" and calls for absolute mobilization of the Israeli industry and spirit.

Israel institutes a 2-year rotation military draft.

30 August - Israeli Air force sends out 60 bombers with 20 interceptor escorts to bomb Lefkosia and 30 bombers with 5 interceptor escorts to bomb Kyrenia.

31 August - UK demands that Israel ends all bombings in Cyprus. The request is ignored.

1 September
- Israeli submarines begin convoy raiding in the Gulf of Alexandretta.

3 September - 80 Israeli bombers and 20 interceptor escorts bomb the port of Adana, sinking one naval vessel and crippling several others.

Your move, Turkey.

September 5 - Cyber attacks cripple Israel. Worms installed in system.

September 6 - Bat bomb detonated in Jerusalem, and 12 other major cities.

September 7 - Major bombing in those cities.

September 9 - Turkey laughs.

September 10-24 Major bombing in all Israeli cities. Due to loss of radar and AA missiles the aircraft only have to fear fellow aircraft. Loss 6 aircraft per night. Loss 4.3 aircraft per night for Israel.

October 1 100 ships begin blockading Israel.

Pays 5 million to Jordan and Syria and Lebanon to allow troops to pass through.

Surrender Israel. You will pay 100 million USD to us and we won't annihilate you.

October 2
- 2 Brigades of the 98th Paratrooper Division paradrop into Lefkosia and occupy Northern Cyprus.

October 4 - Production of two Armored divisions begin, production will finish in February. Production of an Infantry division begins, to be completed in December.

October 7-12 - Israeli aircraft, operating out of Lefkosia, begin bombing Turkish ports in the south of Turkey, destroying their capability to transport supplies or repair ships.

October 8 - West Bank Division and 1st and 2nd Reserve Armored Divisions are assigned to Northern Command and are deployed to the Lebanese border.

October 10 - Turkish software hack is deciphered and eradicated by Israel.

October 14-20 - Israeli bombers assault Turkish oil plants, crippling oil production.

October 29-30 - Israel bombers bombard the blockading force, sinking 6 smaller vessels, and crippling numerous others. Part of the fleet is forced to retreat to a Northern naval base.

October 31 - 3rd Flotilla, made up of highly specialized Missile Boats attack the retreating fleet while bombers continue to assault from the air. 13th Flotilla boards and capture the TCG Bodrum while the remainder of the Turkish fleet is sunk. The assault is over before the remainder of the Turkish blockade force can react.

November 4
- Israeli bombers assault Inkirlik air base and the city of Adana in Southern Turkey.

Surrender? What have you got on the Israeli air force?

Ok you can't just do that. A worm, if bothered will eat everything so it would take even longer to repair. You know nothing about computers. Also how did you attack a fleet with no causalities? That kind of stuff doesn't happen. Not only that your morale has plummeted. Not only that why didn't my functional planes fight yours off? I still have radar and power? You remind me of me, when I first started. So, wake up! You awake now? Good.

Final tally of voids, attack on fleet, bombing of Turkish ports, breaking of cyber attack, sinking of 100 stupid ships with one or two missile boats and bombers. Seriously? Not only that the fleet would not of retreated cuz 6 smaller vessels sunk. Wow. But if you want to be leveled so be it. Voids did not happen.

November 6 Turkey imports oil. Bombings continue only these focus on the Israeli food supply. 3,000 trucks are spotted heading for an Israeli encampment.

November 7 400 3000 tanks smashes a 2000 tank army leaving only 32 israeli tanks which escape. Due to surprise only 247 Turk tanks are destroyed. Air patrols cannot find tank army. Only medical trucks heading back with wounded.

November 9 Paratroopers attack turkey.

November 16 One paratrooper falls into Hebron

November 7-20 Heavy bombings continue. Radar is still not back up.

Most major cities in Israel are completely destroyed.

November 21 Israel is starving. Turkey says all defectors will be treated well and allowed to practice their religion.

November 22 Patrol craft patrol over the blockade. All boats are on blockade. Reserves mobilized.

November 23 In an effort to break the blockade the entire Israeli fleet attacks. A minor victory happens and a transport gets through.

November 26 The entire fleet gathers and attacks the Israeli fleet surrounding and bombarding it. 46 Turk ships sink. All Israeli ships sink.

November 27 More cyber attacks happen and stop the rebuilding attempts. Power is completely out. This cyber attack focuses on water plants. People are thirsty. Saboteurs blow four airfields and with it 20 planes. Two saboteurs fail so only four.

Turkey demands the surrender of Israel: 150 million USD.

Pro refuses to give any concessions whatsoever in order to salvage this debate and instead merely stated that I (con) "know nothing of warfare". Let it be known that I attempted to resolve the issue and continue the debate, however all I can garner from Pro's responce is that he is only looking to "win" the debate and not actually continue the war. Vote for Pro if you want, as I am wholly done with both the instigator and his immaturity.

I expected a good debate not some one doing things that remind me of when I first started.

Y'all judge who won. I wish you all a good day.

This is my first "AoW" debate mind you, and I am grateful that it is to be my last.

Now you are acting like a sore loser. Instead of asking me to get a moderator, (I was planning on getting one) or PMing me you rage quit. The community is better of without you.

;) extend
Posted by walle_ras 1 year ago
Its not my hobby.
Posted by Atheist-Independent 1 year ago
Maybe you should find better hobbies than insulting others.
Posted by walle_ras 1 year ago
No I am just bored and arguing with you is a welcome break to my work. Cuz some of use actually do that.
What are you attempting to achieve? Hurt my feelings? That is a rather petty and despicable goal.
Posted by walle_ras 1 year ago
Too late. You must know that I am probably not the only one.
My dear Walle, you do not know me. Feel superior if you want, but do not judge my character based on a little debate on the internet. I am tired of this banter.
Posted by walle_ras 1 year ago
Atheist Independent you are a quiter. That is why your skills are close to nill. Unlike you I stuck through to the end of my war debates. I expected an entertaining debate. Not you saying you can delete a worm, deflect hit and run raids without radar and stop an overwhelming force of tanks at 3:00 in the morning.

I send you a virtual bat bomb.
Posted by Theunkown 1 year ago
This kind of confusion is why I never take part in War debates.
I have been on this website over a year, and if anyone is contagious to the community it would be you for insulting me so thoroughly. I don't want to fight you, I just want you to learn some respect. Good day.
Posted by walle_ras 1 year ago
3rd Flotilla, made up of highly specialized Missile Boats attack the retreating fleet while bombers continue to assault from the air. 13th Flotilla boards and capture the TCG Bodrum while the remainder of the Turkish fleet is sunk. The assault is over before the remainder of the Turkish blockade force can react.

See, plus without the worm you tanks would have had a bombardments before they could of reacted. You superior tanks were outnumbered and surprised and it was night. You do not know anything about warfare.
Vote Placed by greatkitteh 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: The war turned into a glame war.
Vote Placed by lannan13 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: Interesting debate, but now it's time to give my vote. First for arguments. Many of Pro's attacks are unreasonable. Bat bombs were shown to be a failure. You, yourself, could try it, but realistically it wouldn't turn out quite well for you. As for Cyber attacks. Worms are as bad as you think. The most it would do is destroy files and corrupt certain systems AT WORST, but since you just flooded him it won't do much at all and thus Con's attack would have and should have gone through. Strategically I give the victory to Con. Conduct goes to Con due to Pro's lack of compromise and insulting of Con in debate. Sources go to Con concidering that he gave sourcing for many of his attacks. Spelling and grammar goes to Pro on regards that Con made several noticeable grammatical errors throughout the debate. If you need to me clarify anything please feel free to PM me.
Vote Placed by Luharis 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: While I am unsure about the cyber warfare aspect of this, Turkey clearly won this war. And pro definitely had better conduct.