josealways123
Jay-D

Men and women are equal.

Jay-D

josealways123

Pro

Here in this debate i would like to argue that men and women are equal in all basis and my con should go against it.......

First round for acceptance only.............
Jay-D

Con

I graciously accept the challenge put forth by my opponent, and look forward to a well-contested debate.
I shall be arguing that men and women are not equal in ALL bases. I await Pro's arguments.
josealways123

Pro

Thanks for accepting this debate and i would like to start my instigation in this debate. In this debate i am not wishing to argue what men can do that women cannot do or what women can do that men cannot do. I am supporting the fact that every men and women has a specific role to play in the society. I am arguing the fact that these roles played by both these genders are equal.

The achievement of full equality between women and men is one of the most important prerequisites for global prosperity and the advancement of society.

So as i have said above, every people has a specific role to perform in the society.. These roles are neither superior nor inferior. That is these are of equal importance. We cannot have a better world if there weren't either men or women. First think of a world without men (just imagine) --who will do the masculine works or muscle power works that are done by men. Thus men are important in the society. Now think of a world without women (just imagine) --who will do the household works that are done by women. This shows that women are also important in a society. So we can find out that both groups are necessary in a society and both genders are interdependent to each other. So this promote the equality between men and women and thus they are equal since both of them together forms a society.

So this is just my introductional argument. My opponent should also introduce his points in his next argument.I would like to provide all the sources that support my argument in the last round.

So i hope that my opponent understands my argument and come with his arguments in the next round..............
Jay-D

Con

Pro's argument:
...i am not wishing to argue what men can do that women cannot do or what women can do that men cannot do...

If that is the case, then I would like to ask why you said this in round 1:
...i would like to argue that men and women are equal in all basis...
By saying all "bases", Pro gives off the impression that he is about to argue about all the abilities as well as disabilities of men and women, and state that they are equal.
But then he goes on and says something else in the next round. I find this unjustified.

...who will do the masculine works or muscle power works.... who will do the household works....
I believe it's just "work", not "works". But anyways, we are not arguing as to what would happen if there were no men, or no women. If that were the case, then nobody would really realize the importance of the opposite, as people would be accustomed to doing masculine or household work (type of work performed by the opposite sex).

....they are equal since both of them together forms a society.
That statement is no place to be using the word "since". Your statement implies that society exists only because men and women are equal. This is not true.
Even if men and women are unequal, society WILL exist.

While it is correct that men and women have equally important roles in society, that is not the entire picture.
Just by saying that what they do is equally important does not mean they are equal.
Equality must ALSO be measured by what is done unto them. Hence, my arguments:

1. Earnings - Men>Women
http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

2. Criminal Sentences - Men>Women
http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

3. Sexual assault victims - Women>Men

I believe this many arguments are enough to demonstrate that men and women are not equal in all bases.
I eagerly await my opponent's response.
josealways123

Pro

I asked the first round only for the acceptance and i hoped to explain my initiatives of the debate along with my arguments in the second round. In the first round i said that i would be arguing that women and men are equal in ALL BASIS. But i have not specified what this (ALL BASIS) are related to.

If you take all the bases there would be many things to argue-their height,length of their hair,whether they are obesic......is my opponent hoping to argue all this. NEVER. This is the reason why i explained the correct initiative of my debate in the second round.

And so it is necessary for you to argue on the topic i had given.... So i have not done unjust but my opponent has misjudged this topic.

What is the matter of using the term masculine WORKS or household WORKS. I have not learnt a mistake using these. Check out only the heading of the following (just check only if you don't mind).
http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com...
So if they can use the term WORKS, why can't i?

I have not meat "society only exist because men and women are equal". My opponent has misjudged it too. I have said that only men and women together can form a society.
If any of the genders are not present then the society does not exist. Therefore they are equal in society.
So your point "if women and men are unequal then society exists" is indeed not an opposition of my argument.

Just saying what they do is not only important. Is a luxury car only judged by its speed only?
So it is necessary to check everything to determine whether they are equal in society.

Earnings may be greater for men. But both are doing their roles in the society as these roles are equal. Today many countries are understanding this and are giving equal consessions for women...

http://www.equalityhumanrights.com...

So my opponent is wrong.....
Jay-D

Con

But i have not specified what this (ALL BASIS) are related to.
I think its pretty obvious what one means when one says "ALL BASES"(once again, its bases, not basis). The word "all" is used to signify universality.

I'm sorry, but I'm really forced to plead that my opponent was misleading in round 1.

Anyways, I will argue my opponent on topics which he brought about in rounds 2 & 3.

Source in question: http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com...;

In this context, the word "works" is used to quantify "work" in plural. While it is true that "works" is plural for "work", we do not use "works" in normal conversation to denote multiple numbers of work.
We use "works" when saying "engineering works" or "artistic works". You would've been correct in your usage of works if you said "who will take care of women's household works" or "household work done by women". But you said "...do household works that are...". This is wrong usage.
Here: http://www.englishforums.com...
It's a bit complex, I don't want to come off as condescending, and I don't want to get into an English lesson (as it would be off-topic), but since you bothered using a source and all, I was obliged to correct you.
Bottomline, your usage is different from that in your source, and hence, wrong.

Today many countries are understanding this and are giving equal consessions for women...
Source in question: http://www.equalityhumanrights.com...

That is fine and actually good, but even after this, it only means that women's relative earnings are improving, and not already on par with those of men.

So for now, they are still unequal. Maybe in the future they'll be equal, but that isn't what the debate is about. It's about the present.

So I am not wrong.

I await my opponent's final set of arguments and closing statements in round 4.
josealways123

Pro

I have not made anything wrong. As i have said above you are the one who misjudged it. I have clearly made a sentence that the first round is for acceptance only. If you say that all is universality it is wrong,it is not the only meaning. ALL has a meaning of "extent of a particular thing or group".
https://www.google.co.in...

So in this when we are saying all basis or bases we must specify a specific group or the segment it belongs to. That was what i introduced and explained that it should be based on the roles in the society.
If i have not given that topic then we should debate on whether they are equal on growth,maturity,hair growth..... Am i a fool to start debate on that topic. So you should understand that i am correct.

You can't say that my usage was different. Because my usage the site usage was almost same.Please check once more.

You have explained in round two that what they do is equally important. Is it the wages what they do. You have said that"just by saying that what they do....." in your second round. The source tells that men and women are done equal works and paid different wages. Here i am focusing on works and not on wages.

So i have argued against all the points to my opponent related to my topic. Now i would like to display some sources that would help to explain my argument.

http://www.meaningfullife.com...
http://news.softpedia.com...
http://womensrights.hubpages.com...

So it is evident that they are equal but not given equal rights.

So i hope all understood that men and women are equal. Each person men or women has an equal role to play in society like cells for the body. So thanking my opponent for a wonderful debate. And people should be on the pro side.

SO VOTE FOR PRO.......
Jay-D

Con

That was what i introduced and explained that it should be based on the roles in the society.
Well, you should've done that in round 1. You're supposed to let a potential opponent know what the debate is all about before they accept your challenge, and not in round 2.

This is why I said I was misled. Anyways, let's have the voters decide when they award points for conduct, shall we?

..my usage the site usage was almost same.
Almost. Not exactly. You used active voice. Your source uses passive voice. That's all. I can't believe you didn't understand something this simple and that you fixated on this for so long.

And, by the way, you forgot to use the conjunction "and" in that sentence. It's "my usage and the site". I'm sorry to point this out.

Here i am focusing on works and not on wages.
How can you say such a thing? Are you implying that wages have no meaning?

Let me explain. Work and efficiency are analogous to distance and speed.
Work - distance
Efficiency - speed
Most jobs are physically draining. This means it is easier for men to perform them and not women i.e. in such jobs, men have higher efficiency. But both men and women work the same amount i.e. distance is same, but men have higher speed. Hence, men are paid more.
But look at the fashion industry. Women have more demand(speed). Both work the same amount, walk on the same ramp(distance). But women are paid much more.

But since most of today's jobs demand physical longevity and endurance, men(on average) are paid more than women. It's not because women aren't given equal rights. That's a big misunderstanding.

I must point out that Pro never addressed my arguments over criminal sentencing and sexual assault.

...an equal role to play in society like cells for the body.
Brain cells are more important than skin cells. I rest my case.

In some cases, men are superior; in others, it's women. Both should have equal rights, but we'll never know who's more superior overall.
The fact remains that in most areas, men and women are NOT equal.
Posted by legodude123 3 years ago
legodude123
no jay d is gay
Posted by Jay-D 3 years ago
Jay-D
@spiderman12345:
Of course I'm not a pro. There are hundreds of people on this site who're better than me. Check out the people on the debating leaderboard and you'll see. I'm nowhere near the likes of RoyLatham, Kleptin, Ore_Ele Maikuru, and so many others.
Posted by spiderman12345 3 years ago
spiderman12345
@so your a pro at debating? Why not enter a tournament to win a awesome prize.
Posted by Jay-D 3 years ago
Jay-D
@spiderman12345:

why take a spelling mistake so seriously??:-)
Because I take great pains to keep my spelling flawless :-)

I don't understand how you people have 100% strait win ratio.
A simple mix of good strategy, dedication and sharp tactics.
Posted by spiderman12345 3 years ago
spiderman12345
@ Mr. Jay- D why take a spelling mistake so seriously??:-)
Posted by spiderman12345 3 years ago
spiderman12345
I don't understand how you people have 100% strait win ratio. Some people do on this site
Posted by spiderman12345 3 years ago
spiderman12345
Lol typo I hate these silly typos I make
Posted by Jay-D 3 years ago
Jay-D
@spiderman12345:
You mean "an" ELA student. Lol you've got a lot to learn :P
Posted by spiderman12345 3 years ago
spiderman12345
So many passive voices and active voices I feel like ELA student
Posted by allentolemy007 3 years ago
allentolemy007
i agree with the pro in this debate.....
Vote Placed by KingDebater 3 years ago
KingDebater
josealways123Jay-DTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con had evidence that Men and women weren't equal in all aspects.
Vote Placed by janetsanders733 3 years ago
janetsanders733
josealways123Jay-DTied
Reasons for voting decision: Tough debate. However, I think Con had a much more solid argument in the end because he showed how Genders are, somewhat not equal. I think Con did very well to as he addresed the workforce, crime, and Criminal sentences as showing how Men and women are technically judged differently.
Vote Placed by Tophatdoc 3 years ago
Tophatdoc
josealways123Jay-DTied
Reasons for voting decision: The Pro side seemed to be a leading into moral claims about equality. But the Con side dismissed both the Pro's moral claims and practical claims about equality. I found the Pro's sources weak compared to Con's. Good luck to you both in future debates.