Thecriticalpenguin
bigtown

Men and women do not have the same importance in society.

Thecriticalpenguin

Pro

Hello there, this is my first debate. I am 14 years old and not yet an expert in this matter, so I would like my opponent to be comprehensive.

Men and women have different roles in society. In fact, there is a distinction between men and women in almost every aspect of it, from raising a child, to professions that they can exercise.

The importance of the roles that these two sex play in society cannot be measured, as they are fundamentally different. I would like, as I defend my point, and if debate allows, to ask my opponent to explain why, in his/her opinion, men and women are equally important in the society we live in.
bigtown

Con

Hello Penguin, good to meet you. I'll try and give you some good reasons to believe that both men and women are equally important to society. I'm taking this round is for acceptance only, but will give some ideas on where to possibly go with this.

Essentially as humans men and women are born equal in every sense, so the rights of both should be therefore equally respected and acknowledged. When you say importance there are obviously many qualitative aspects to being important and what society should deem as important. What current society envisions importance to be obviously may be at odds with what may be ideal as important to society. Society itself is only strong when both men and women make concessions to each other in order to build that society. A strong family in essence leads to a stronger society that can withstand attacks upon it in terms of morality and the ultimate rearing of well-adjusted children, and hence it goes on from there. So from an ideal view both sexes are equally important to society, but I admit that ideal seems to be under attack constantly and it doesn't seem right, which is where we will probably make the most points for and against. Men and women both equally need to adopt roles that in effect will produce strong families and happiness for each partner and their children.

So you have to ask what to you is important to society and how that equality can be best accomplished.
Thecriticalpenguin

Pro

I'd like to point out that Con does not answer my question. Instead, he states that men and women are both essential to society (again, I'm new to this debate system, Con might simply be saying what he's supposed to say), which doesn't fit in this subject, since Con didn't mention the difference between these two sexes.

From an IDEAL point of view, men and women are equally important. When you say that both sexes are born equal, it's only from a moral point of view. Obviously, if either men or women were born superior, it would become immoral. Equality is merely a title we like to use to describe our system. The sole purpose of equality is to be morally fair. Nothing else. Unfortunately, morality isn't the only factor that society is consisted of. I will now try my best to prove that equality does not exist outside of the field of morality. Men and women are born different. Because of that difference, it is undeniable that one sex will be better at a particular job. If men and women are both essential to society, the professions that they exercise aren't all so. To measure the importance of one both parties, we can simply measure the impact that they have today. At the present moment, males that exercise a key role in our society, those who work in governments, for example, largely outweighs their female counterparts.

I think that I've well responded to my opponent's point. I would like Con to explain this difference between men and women in the society that we live today, and also know if he thinks that this difference might represent a superiority, (not morally, as previously explained) of one sex over the other.
bigtown

Con

bigtown forfeited this round.
Thecriticalpenguin

Pro

Thecriticalpenguin forfeited this round.
bigtown

Con

bigtown forfeited this round.
Posted by bigtown 2 years ago
bigtown
Apologies to my opponent here. I will not have time to make an argument in time. Pick it up again in the near future hopefully. Sorry I realise it was your first debate as well.
Posted by 1814Username 2 years ago
1814Username
The reality is that everything in America is established for women. Women now comprise 60% of the people in college. Every program out there is for women and their children. Women have much greater access to jobs and scholarships. Every law is meant to keep women safe and the bias in the legal system is overwhelming. When the majority gender comprises only 7% of the people in prisons, something is not right. Just look at every commercial out there. Women are great and smart. Men are dumb and inept. The reality is that women are favored in this country. Doubt me? Go anywhere and just watch how people bend over backward for women.
Posted by rings48 2 years ago
rings48
"The importance of the roles that these two sex play in society cannot be measured, as they are fundamentally different."

Your opponent would be arguing that you can measure the difference between the two genders.
Posted by Hariex 2 years ago
Hariex
Do you mean "equal" as in legal rights or "equal" as in how they are viewed from society?

Legally, I think men are women are equal. However, I think that there is a big issue concerning sexism towards women in the job sectors.