brian_eggleston
comoncents

Men are better at shopping than women

brian_eggleston

Pro

I went out to do some Christmas shopping with a female acquaintance of mine on Saturday morning and on the way we passed a car accessory shop where I spotted a set of fantastic 17" wire wheels. I'd been looking for a set like that for ages and they were on special offer so I just had to buy them. Then it was just a matter of visiting a few tyre fitters until I found a suitable set of low profiles to go with them. However, by time I had them fitted, it was lunchtime.

Now, after lunch, my female companion was anxious to go and buy presents but I told her that we could do that just as soon as I had bought a car to go with my new wheels. "What?" she said, seemingly in disbelief, "you I already have a garage packed full of cars". Of course, being a woman, she didn't understand that none of them matched the wheels I had just bought so off we went in search of a classic British sports car.

In the first showroom we visited I found a superb 1972 Triumph Stag so I asked my friend if she liked it. She said she loved it and that I should buy it, but I didn't want to buy the first car I saw just in case I saw an even better one in another showroom later on. So we then went round all the classic car dealerships in town before I finally decided that the car I saw in the first showroom was actually the best one so we went back there and I bought it.

By that time, however, the shops were closing and there was no time to do any Christmas shopping. Still, my female companion obviously didn't mind because didn't say anything.

Actually, that didn't happen. I made it all up. Well most of it. We did go out shopping but there were no wire wheels, low profile tyres and there was no Triumph Stag. There were, however, some shoes, a handbag and a dress and it wasn't me taking her on a wild goose chase, it was the other way round.

As a consequence, I didn't get any Christmas shopping done so instead I'll get it done by myself. If I trusted the post I'd order it all online, but I don't, so instead, I'll do what I did last year and make a list of all the items I need and the shops that sell them and give the girl that does my cleaning �50 to go out and buy them all for me.

Now that's the intelligent way to shop, but few women would do it that way. I don't know why that is, all I know is that men are better at shopping than women.

comoncents

Con

I would like to thank brian_eggleston for this debate.

I must say that I did enjoy the made up story but your logic is flawed.
You base your argument on one companion.

I, on the other hand, will take a truly thought out approach to "shopping".

I would argue that the gender has nothing to do with it.
You say, "men are better at shopping than women", but it all depends on who the man and women are.

I have gone shopping with impulsive men that just pick the first thing they like.
I have also shopped with women who come prepared with coupons, sound logic, and very great tactics.

I could argue that women are better, but I really believe that gender does not matter at all. It is just the individual.

I look forward to you proving that men are with out a doubt better at shopping than women, in turn disproving that gender does not matter at all.
brian_eggleston

Pro

With many thanks to Commoncents for her reply, I should like to begin my argument with a short screenplay.

Scene: Headquarters of Santa's Global Distribution Services Inc., Lapland. December 2009.

INT. DAY. Santa Claus' executive office suite. Santa is seated behind a huge desk. MLS.

Giljagaur, an elf, puts his head round the door.

Giljagaur: You wanted to see me boss?

CUT TO SANTA, MLS

Santa Claus: Yes, come in and take a seat Giljagaur. Ho-ho-ho!

CUT TO TWO-SHOT, SANTA, ELF

Giljagaur: Thank you, Sir.

Santa Claus: Now, as you may be aware, we just received the results of the latest time and motion study and it clearly shows that you are the least productive of all our employees. Basically, you are wrapping 22% fewer presents than the average worker, Giljagaur. I'm afraid that just isn't good enough, I'm trying to run a streamlined operation here. I have a duty to the shareholders to maximise profits and you are simply not cost-effective. I'm sorry, but there's no place for work-shy little pixies like you here and I'm going to have to let you go. Ho-ho-ho!

Giljagaur: Oh, no! Please Santa! Give me another chance. I've got a wife and three kids to support. Where else am I going to find a job in Lapland at this time of year?

Santa Claus: I don't know, Giljagaur, but I'm running a business here, not a charity for indolent elves. Mrs. Claus will give you your wages when you leave. Now close the door on your way out will you, there's a good little chap. Ho-ho-ho!

ENDS.

Okay, let's examine this story for a moment. Why did Santa have to sack one of his little elves? The answer is of course that he was inefficient. He took on average 22% longer to wrap a present than his co-workers did. In other words, his former colleagues were better workers than him.

Similarly, women take 22% longer to do the shopping than men. (1) In other words, men are better shoppers than women and there I rest my case.

(1) http://www.statistics.gov.uk...
comoncents

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for his witty sense of humor.

I also would like to mention that I am a man, 24, with wife and kids. I just felt like taking a debate that caused my gender not to be superior (I think too many men think that way).

UPDATE: He did acknowledge the mistake by gender investigation.

"Why did Santa have to sack one of his little elves?"
I can only guess at an answer, as I do not know Santa himself. I would say that the elf was to slow and his quality was not exquisite enough to make up for the quantity.
I bet if the elf's quality was up to par, his skills might not have been in a speed type format, but a teaching environment to train new elves. He could have posed that case.

"The answer is of course that he was inefficient. He took on average 22% longer to wrap a present than his co-workers did. In other words, his former colleagues were better workers than him."
To say a better worker than him is incorrect. A faster worker would be more accurate. You did not mention the quality of the elf's work; you just assumed that speed qualified a "better worker".

"Similarly, women take 22% longer to do the shopping than men. (1) In other words, men are better shoppers than women and there I rest my case."

I understand your stance but sometimes speed does not make for a better shopper. You rest your case on a sexist stance not equating an individual.
Women are responsible for 83 percent of all consumer purchases, including:
92 percent of home furnishings,
92 percent of vacations,
91 percent of all homes,
51 percent of all consumer electronics, and
60 percent of all car purchases (they actually influence 90 percent).

Regarding spending and the power of women and money:
The third largest consumer group is American men.
The second largest consumer group is all of Japan.
The Earth's largest consumer group is women, spending approximately $5 trillion.

To capture the woman buyer you have to understand the woman psyche. Women live with a never-ending to-do list, and the pressure to get that list under control triggers stress. A stressed-out buyer is low on patience around poor service and, regarding the telephone; women have a tolerance level of nine to 11 minutes. Also, women shop the Internet more than men.

Your study was from, "Selected activities performed in free time, by sex, 2006/07, England."

It's not that either sex is better or worse—They're just different.

Vote Con!

http://www.mint.com...
http://www.tipsonleadership.com...

Vote Con!
Posted by Derek.Gunn 7 years ago
Derek.Gunn
Oh dear, where has all the humour gone?
Posted by comoncents 7 years ago
comoncents
Thanks, i still appreciate the thought.
Posted by desiflavour 7 years ago
desiflavour
Strange topic. Though if I could vote, i'd vote for comoncents -- and not just cuz I'm a woman.
Posted by Alex 7 years ago
Alex
Lol at the conversation below. Anyways, the entire time i read the first part of your debate i thought you were loaded brian, then i read you made it up, now i'm left wondering.
Posted by brian_eggleston 7 years ago
brian_eggleston
Sorry mate, I just looked at your avatar and...well, sorry.
Posted by comoncents 7 years ago
comoncents
Your funny.
Posted by brian_eggleston 7 years ago
brian_eggleston
Hmm, commoncents, I'm glad I've got a female opponent but you have rather stumped me with your female logic. Please give me a while to consider my reply.
Posted by comoncents 7 years ago
comoncents
Why?
Posted by Derek.Gunn 7 years ago
Derek.Gunn
I rather suspect Brian is going to win this, as one needs "uncomoncents" to win debates here. ;-)
Vote Placed by philosphical 7 years ago
philosphical
brian_egglestoncomoncentsTied
Vote Placed by Danielle 7 years ago
Danielle
brian_egglestoncomoncentsTied
Vote Placed by Koopin 7 years ago
Koopin
brian_egglestoncomoncentsTied
Vote Placed by alwaz4dam 7 years ago
alwaz4dam
brian_egglestoncomoncentsTied
Vote Placed by beamer1 7 years ago
beamer1
brian_egglestoncomoncentsTied
Vote Placed by wonderwoman 7 years ago
wonderwoman
brian_egglestoncomoncentsTied
Vote Placed by Nails 7 years ago
Nails
brian_egglestoncomoncentsTied
Vote Placed by Derek.Gunn 7 years ago
Derek.Gunn
brian_egglestoncomoncentsTied
Vote Placed by comoncents 7 years ago
comoncents
brian_egglestoncomoncentsTied