jaket555
sayvillees

Men have it worse than women in the United States.

jaket555 has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

jaket555

Pro

Men have it worse than women in the United States. Women have a much better chance of getting into college. Also, they get paid more in their early years (20's). The only reason that women technically make 77 cents for every dollar a man makes is because they make different decisions in life. Also, men tend to work full time while women tend to raise children later in their life. Men have a higher chance to be raped, victims of homicide, suicide, and get much more harsh prison sentences. Men lose in a large majority of child custody cases. Lastly, men are much more likely to be hurt or die at their work.
sayvillees

Con

I look forward to debating this topic, as I think it is an important one.

First I will be establishing my own case, and then I will attack the Pro's argument.

The resolution for this debate is "Men have it worse than women in the United States." The Pro does not define what 'worse' means, so I will. Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines it as "more unfavorable, difficult, unpleasant, or painful." This means that the burden in this debate for the Pro is to prove that the condition of men in the US is more unfavorable, difficult, unpleasant, or painful than women. I on the other hand, as the Con, must only prove that this is not true. I do not necessarily have to prove that women have it worse than men do, only that men and women have at least equally unfavorable existences. However, I will seek to prove women have it worse. The role of the ballot in this debate is simply to decide whether or not my arguments prove that the two sexes have it at least equal.

When weighing this topic, we must question the overall quality of life. Minor problems that don't present themselves too often shouldn't be included. We wouldn't say that it is unfavorable to be an office worker simple because there is a 1 in a billion chance that you die from poorly made coffee.

Contention 1: Women earn less than men for the same professions. According to the Wall Street Journal, women earn less than men in 439 of 446 major U.S. occupations. Furthermore, according to Pew Research Center, as of 2015, women on average earn approximately 83% of what the average man earns. These statistics contribute to an overall lower quality of life for women in the United States, regardless of how they get there. It goes to reason to realize that living off of a lower salary means less of an ability to pay for things. This means that women find it more difficult to purchase bare necessities for themselves.

Contention 2: In the United States, women are more likely to be the victims of domestic violence. According to the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence, 1 in 3 women in the United States has been a victim of domestic violence, while only 1 in 4 men have been. 1 in 7 women have been stalked, compared to 1 in 18 men. This demonstrates that women suffer far more than men when it comes to domestic violence. This obviously contributes to a lower on average quality of life than men.

Now to move on to my opponent's arguments.

My opponent's whole case is not sourced. The only verification for their claims right now is their own word, which cannot be valued too highly since they are an anonymous person on the internet. All arguments need to be warranted with evidence, like mine have been. If they aren't, we should ignore them. I will not contest them on any other grounds than this and simply that I disagree with them for now. It is not my job to prove my opponent's unsupported claims wrong, because if it were, that would enable my opponent to make a long list of unverifiable claims that I would need to respond to, taking away time from arguments that are actually supported. This would be unfair and hurt debate as an activity. Even though my opponent's arguments are quite short, responding to them would still be saying that pushing out claims without evidence is an acceptable thing to do. For that reason, I will not respond to them unless Pro actually provides evidence. In summary, the burden of proof lies with the person who is forwarding the claim. I do not have the burden of disproving unsupported claims.

For these reasons I must urge a Con decision.

Worse definition - https://www.merriam-webster.com...
Occupation pay gap - http://graphics.wsj.com...
Average pay gap - http://www.pewresearch.org...
Domestic violence - https://ncadv.org...
Burden of proof - https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com...
Posted by wisetank 1 year ago
wisetank
If you shorten the debate to 3 hour response and 2k word limit i'll debate with you.