sapere_aude
plagarists

Men should have the right to give up responsibility of a child.

sapere_aude

Pro

1st round - acceptance and opening argument
2nd round - rebuttal
3rd round - rebuttal
4th round- closing arguments and conclusion

Responsibility - visitation rights and child support

Right- ability to make a decision on an issue

Men have the right to be fathers. If a child is born sharing their genes than they have a right to be apart of that child's life. However if a father does not want the child or want to visit or take responsibility for that child they have that right as well. Women are the ones who get to decide if a pregnancy will come to term. They have the ability to decide if they want to be a mother or not. The man has no say if he becomes a father or not. If a man wants to give up his right to visitation and under the law not be recognized as the child's father and there for do not have to pay child support they have that right. It would mean giving up any access to the child for the rest of the child's life but they should be allowed to do it. Any women having a child should always take in to consideration of raising and supporting a child on their own no matter where they are relationship wise when their pregnant. One never knows where life will take you and you should be prepared for that when deciding to have kids.
plagarists

Con

Accepting the challenge, I would like to open my line of argument.

We, know that a pregnant woman has the right to decide whether or not a child should be brought in this world, but we also know something called emotional consent.
Now we go on to prove how there is no stark difference between cheating on your spouse, which is, need I remind you, a punishable offence and is not very different from disavowing his child.
When two people are married, they have a bond of trust and responsibility toward each other which they promise to fulfill for the remainder pf their lives. Now, when a person cheats on his/her spouse, it's basically breaking that bond of trust.
Similarly, if the husband, with emotional consent of supporting their child in later stages, encourages the woman to bear and give birth to the child, he is as much responsible for the child as much as the mother is. Not doing doing so is a breakage of the trust that was being talked about previously.
So if on one hand, breaking of trust i an offence (Cheating), so should it be on the other j=hand. Not doing so would be an unfair and an undue burden on the mother.
sapere_aude

Pro

I am sorry but I will need my opponent to clarify what they mean by emotional consent. A parent/child relationship is not the same as a marriage contract. With a marriage contract you have to people agreeing to certain terms and when those terms are not meet there are consequence like divorce. As opposed to a parent child relationship is more out of need for a child to be cared for until such time they can care for themselves. Which is a responsibility any person not just a biological relative is capable of as long as they are a responsible person. Now if a man encourages a women to give birth to a child and then decided to leave that child and women that is a reprehensible action but is still an action that that man can take legally if they want to legally give up their right to that child. Just like a mother can give their child up for adoption at any time in their life. However, most circumstances the man would most likely give up responsibility for the child before they are born. Basically stating they don't want to be a father and don't want to care for the child. Now if the mother wants the child the burden of caring for the child would fall to her alone.
plagarists

Con

plagarists forfeited this round.
sapere_aude

Pro

With no new arguments I have nothing to add at this time.
plagarists

Con

plagarists forfeited this round.
sapere_aude

Pro

plagarists

Con

plagarists forfeited this round.
Posted by matt8800 1 year ago
matt8800
I didn't think I agreed with the premise overall but after reading Pro's opening argument, I am swayed.