laurynidk
Ariesx

Mental health is just as important as physical health

laurynidk

Pro

Mental health is just as important as physical health and it really bothers me how so many people fail to realise that. From past experience, I've broken my arm and been sent home from school but then I've had a mental breakdown and just been forced to stay in school with no help whatsoever; both situations affected me badly but because there was something physically wrong in the first, it got treated more seriously.

However, this doesn't make sense as quite often, mental problems have physical effects too and I wish everyone would see this instead of labelling it as attention seeking. Of course it doesn't help that people do pretend to have mental illnesses because they think it's "cool" and "quirky" which definitely does not make it easier for the rest of us to get the help that we truly deserve.

There have been many cases where bad things have occured because the hospitals and such have not provided well enough for people with mental health issues and I'd love to hear other people's opinions on the matter as this is a subject that I feel extremely strongly about.
Ariesx

Con

I believe in utilitarianism. The greatest benefit for the greatest number of people. I believe that since there are more people that suffer from physical health means that there should be more value to physical health. I am not saying that mental health should be ignored, but what I am saying is that mental health shouldn't me given the same importance. Physical health should be embraced by society.
laurynidk

Pro

I couldn't disagree with you more. I respect that you think more people suffer physically however you don't know how many people are mentally suffering and too scared to speak up due to the fact they think that they won't get any help because they have been brought up to believe that it isn't "important enough". How would you feel to feel like that? Physical and mental health should be given the same equality and should be treated in the same way. At the end of the day, they both can potentionally end in deaths or life changing activities so both need help.
Ariesx

Con

I appreciate that you care about these people, and they need more help and importance. But this is a debate on importance. There are more people that are physically hurt everyday, and you can look these statistics up. According to the Kim foundation, you can see that only 26.7 % of Americans suffer from mental health. While 35% of Americans are suffering from physical pain. Logically, we can conclude that we should put more importance on physically hurt people. Now, don't interpret my argument into something that it is not. I believe that we should give mental health importance, but I believe we should distribute more importance over physical health because there are simply more people that suffer from it. I do agree that people should stop saying that it isn't important because it is. But I believe physical health should be given more importance because our topic was about importance.
laurynidk

Pro

laurynidk forfeited this round.
Ariesx

Con

I would like to stress the fact that I do care about mental healthcare. But when you look at the statistics it says that 26.6 % of the american population has mental problems, while 35% of Americans suffer from physical problems, and don't really think it is a problem. I think we should logically put more importance on the healthcare where most people are suffering.

You also mentioned in the previous argument that people fake mental illnesses. According to mirror.com, a survey was done on teenagers said it was "cool". But the majority of teenagers 61%, said it "should be taken very seriously". said it was "cool". But the majority, 61%, said it "should be taken very seriously".

This means that my opponent is just basing his arguments on his experience. His arguments are inaccurate. I hope you as the voter read these arguments objectively. Vote con.
Posted by Ariesx 2 years ago
Ariesx
Hey if you guys liked my approach of debating, and though that my arguments were pretty effective, than you guys can follow my twitter profile https://twitter.com...
Posted by queenofsass 2 years ago
queenofsass
okay, first of all, let me.just start off by saying that I think they are both equally important. Mental health has many sufferers. And yes while their are more physical problems, mental illnesses can be just as bad. I feel that mental illnesses can be worse than physical conditions because its something you cant help. You cant control the fact the you got schizophrenia, and there is no way to prevent it. Breaking your leg? Something you can prevent. There also isn't any vaccines for mental illnesses.
Posted by bunnybean 2 years ago
bunnybean
I agree. It does seem as though the world is finally acknowledging the need to address mental issues. However i dont believe their actions follow words. Im a vet and a victim of rape, suffering anxiety and PTSD. The medical community does recognize the seriousness of PTSD but there is not enough education on how it effects the victim and families. The VA is slow going on treatment and support. Its all still taboo to talk about. You'd tell an acquaintance you just had had surgery but never that you have PTSD, depression, etc.