IlyasKass
IHateThinkingOfNames

Merci killing should be legalized

IHateThinkingOfNames

IlyasKass

Pro

Firstly, I think that it is very painful and detectively for victim's family to wait for the "impossible' chance due to human will not live a normal life for the rest of the life
IHateThinkingOfNames

Con

Mercy killing is against the Hippocratic Oath taken by doctors ("I will neither give a deadly drug to anybody if asked for it, nor will I make a suggestion to this effect") and the Nightingale Pledge taken by nurses ("I shall abstain from whatever is deleterious and mischievous, and shall not take or knowingly administer any harmful drug"). Legalizing mercy killing would force doctors and nurses to go against what their entire profession stands for.
IlyasKass

Pro

However, I may say that you live in twentieth century and follow for instance this Hippocratic Oath but actually in modern times everything has its price and with the help of bribe you can achieve almost all targets that you want and overwhelming majority of doctors close their eyes on this swear. Unfortunately, people's menatality is another and they can neglect all wrights and laws. Once again, I can notice that euthanasia should be legalized only relying on even budget of the relatives. For a bright instance, I know one sad story when old-aged husband was waiting for wife's recovery but in the end doctors told him that there weren't any chances for recovery. And he paid about 300000$.
IHateThinkingOfNames

Con

"Overwhelming majority of doctors close their eyes on this swear". This is an unfounded statement. What, approximately, are the rates of doctors that "close their eyes on this swear"?

My opponent seems to have missed my point. It is the duty of all doctors and nurses to uphold the oath they swore to. Yes, there may be unscrupulous health professionals, but that does not mitigate the significance of the Hippocratic Oath and the Nightingale Pledge. Doctors and nurses entered the health care profession to ameliorate and prolong lives, not to end them. Just because people ignore rights and laws doesn't mean we should do away with them.

Further, if my opponent is so certain that doctors will not even adhere to the law, then why allow these untrustworthy doctors to perform mercy killings, a practice that could be abused?
IlyasKass

Pro

IlyasKass forfeited this round.
IHateThinkingOfNames

Con

My opponent has forfeited this round; there is no point in introducing a new argument.
IlyasKass

Pro

IlyasKass forfeited this round.
IHateThinkingOfNames

Con

Again, there's no point in presenting new arguments.
IlyasKass

Pro

IlyasKass forfeited this round.
IHateThinkingOfNames

Con

It seems we have reached the end of the debate. It's a shame, I was actually interested in this topic.
Vote Placed by birdlandmemories 3 years ago
birdlandmemories
IlyasKassIHateThinkingOfNamesTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit
Vote Placed by Ameliamk1 3 years ago
Ameliamk1
IlyasKassIHateThinkingOfNamesTied