parj
Luke4

Mere graduation is not education.

Luke4

parj

Pro

Mere graduation is not education. graduation alone cannot teach a person certain ethics and values
Luke4

Con

Definitions:
1.Graduation:
"the receiving or conferring of an academic degree or diploma"
http://oxforddictionaries.com...

2.Education:
"the process of receiving or giving systematic instruction, especially at a school or university"
http://oxforddictionaries.com...

Rebuttals:
1."Mere graduation is not education."
To graduate you need to have received some education and be able to recall the information learned. For example, to graduate in electronic engineering in Trinity, "each student undertakes a major individual project that is assessed by a presentation and an end-of-year dissertation."
http://www.tcd.ie...

If people who graduated did not learn anything, then we would be living in a much different world as scientists and engineers wouldn't be able to do their job.

2. "graduation alone cannot teach a person certain ethics and values"
Actually, if one were to take a course in philosophy, one would learn a lot about ethics and other philosophical branches. Also, there are different types of education. I can receive education by learning about, for example, nanotechnology. However, by learning about nanotechnology I wouldn't learn anything about ethics. Sill, I would be learning and so I would be receiving education.

Arguments:
1. As a nihilist I do not believe morals to be important. Unless one can prove to me that it is important to be moral, I see no reason to learn about ethics.

2. As I've pointed out in the rebuttal, to graduate you need to learn and by learning you receive education.
parj

Pro

parj forfeited this round.
Luke4

Con

Extend my arguments.
parj

Pro

parj forfeited this round.
Luke4

Con

Vote con!
Posted by Sagey 3 years ago
Sagey
Most of those I know of who graduated all agree that most of their learning occurs after Graduation and not before.
Graduation is the entry point to their learning.
My daughter who graduated with 2 degrees with honors in each, said that in the last two years since she graduated, she has learned a hundred fold what she knew at graduation.
She is learning at such a rate that it makes her dizzy.

My theory is that we never stop learning.
My graduation was only a starting point, a diving board that allowed me to launch myself into a deep pool of knowledge.
I may never surface for air, as there is just too much to learn.
Posted by Luke4 3 years ago
Luke4
I am the one who knocks
Posted by Luke4 3 years ago
Luke4
Ah man, I think he won't respond.
Posted by Luke4 3 years ago
Luke4
You gonna respond?
Posted by Luke4 3 years ago
Luke4
" can you give me a few more against points related to this topic?" The biggest problem with your position is that one does need to learn a great amount to graduate and even though one may learn nothing about ethics, one still ends up learning a lot and so has received education. Furthermore, ethics are not as clear cut as, for example, science. In science, there's only one answer and it is the correct one which everyone agrees with. No one is entirely sure what's the truth about ethics. Is morality objective or subjective? Is nihilism or utilitarianism or hedonism correct? Should we seek God or is he irrelevant? Is there such a thing as s just war? Are taxes moral? Is communism or anarchism more ethical? Different people would answer these questions differently. By educating them, you either a) change no ones mind or b) make random changes, for example, some democrats become republicans and vice versa. From a practical perspective, an education in ethics is kinda a waste of time. Unless you're religious like me but I think that schooling should be done from a secular perspective.
Posted by parj 3 years ago
parj
@luke
can you give me a few more against points related to this topic?
i'm not really either for or against the topic, we are suppose to debate about this topic at school
Posted by Luke4 3 years ago
Luke4
@Endless,

It's kinda corny :D
Posted by Endless_Debate 3 years ago
Endless_Debate
I think that the better debate would be the difference between education and the acquisition of knowledge...

http://youtu.be...

A great video from a spoken word artist discussing the difference, and more over why he hates school but loves education! Let me know what you think
Posted by parj 3 years ago
parj
thanks :)
Posted by tomuky 3 years ago
tomuky
Hey maybe you'd like http://BanterMe.com... better :)
Vote Placed by yay842 3 years ago
yay842
parjLuke4Tied
Vote Placed by funwiththoughts 3 years ago
funwiththoughts
parjLuke4Tied
Reasons for voting decision: FF.