beastboy838
Broken

Merit pay based on student achievement should be a significant component of K-12 teacher compensatio

beastboy838

beastboy838

Pro

When it comes to the human race we often don't think about the long term consequences of our actions. That short term success isn't always good for the long term success. This is why my partner and I urge a con ballot on the following topic:

Merit pay based on student achievement should be a significant component of K-12 teacher compensation in United States public schools.

Contention one
Teacher merit is too hard to measure for merit-pay to be fair

Merit pay is incentive to pay based on test scores, or significant improvement in students.
But there is no accurate way to measure & define achievement & performance with standardized testing. With this teachers would teach for the test, students would simply be taught how to answer certain questions, rather than receiving an actual education. The System also cannot simply reward high scores, if it did it would not only reward teachers with already excelling rates, nor can the system solely reward improvement, if so it would unfairly penalize teachers whose students were already scoring to well to post significant gain. The problem with merit-based pay is that there's no reasonable, rational, consistent way to measure performance... teaching is more art than science. Every student is different, with a unique perspective, background, learning style, and, more importantly, pace of development. To penalize a teacher for having a group of students who develop more slowly than others is absurd. No matter how good the teacher is, there's no way to force a child to develop faster than they're capable of doing.

Contention two:

There are negative outcomes of merit pay

Particularly with education, incentive pay could have extreme reverse outcomes. A study
Done by the Urban Institute conclude that most merit pay plans"did not succeed at implementing lasting and effective plans that demonstrate ability to improve student learning". With problems including low teacher morality because of increased competition, teachers being upset because they didn't get the awards they deserved, and merit pay plans are costly and time consuming. According to the same Institute, there were several merit pay systems in existence in Pennsylvania school districts during the late 1970's. All of those merit pay plans were abandoned in favor of the salary schedule. As is the case with many traditional merit pay plans, theses plans resulted in serious inequities among teachers with similar skill and performance levels, which created morale problems. There was no evidence that the plans improved performance. In most cases, the school boards sought to elimate them.

Contention three:
Past examples of merit pay for teachers have failed
Merit pay comes in many forms and flavors -- including extra bonuses for student achievement gains, satisfactory evaluations by principals or committees, acquiring additional duties, gaining new skills and knowledge, and serving in hard-to-staff schools. We've looked at dozens of plans in North America, South America, Asia, Europe, and the Middle East. Guess what? None of them, past and present, has ever had a successful track record. None has ever produced its intended results. Any gains have been minimal, short-lived, and expensive to achieve.

For these reasons I and my partner negate the resolution.
Broken

Con

I would like to first thank my opponent for the debate. I shall be taking the Con side of the debate and will stand in negation of the resolution. I will first define several important words, then post my argument, and finally refute my opponent's contentions.

I. Definitions:
Achievement: something accomplished, esp. by superior ability, special effort, great courage, etc.; a great or heroic deed: his remarkable achievements in art. (http://dictionary.reference.com...)
Significant: important; of consequence. (http://dictionary.reference.com...)

II. Contention One: It is immoral to pay teachers based on student achievement.
In essence, merit pay based on student achievement is bribery. We are paying our teachers to perform their duties better than they are. We can not morally pay our teachers to perform better. They should be obliged to teach as well as they possibly can regardless. Taxpayers are already paying teachers to do their job, we should not have to pay them in order to get them to do it well.

III. Refutation:
My opponent states that "my partner and I urge a con ballot" My opponent clearly states that he is in favor of negation of the resolution. He has already conceded the debate since he is debating on the Pro side of the topic. All three of his contentions are in favor of negation of the resolution as well. I do not think that I need to expand on this, he has clearly argued against himself.

IV. Conclusion:
I claim that it is immoral to pay teachers based on merit. My opponent, has argued against merit pay based on student achievement being a significant component of K-12 teacher compensation. He, however, is on the Pro side of the argument and therefore had conceded the debate. I urge you to vote Con!
Posted by beastboy838 6 years ago
beastboy838
i would think of endless silence
Posted by Broken 6 years ago
Broken
By the way, how do you feel about the January-February LD topic being a PF topic? And we had a LD topic as a question on our social/cultural issues. Something about ex-convicts and rights. Then again we also had "Who looks older, Hillary Rodham Clinton or Nancy Pelosi?" & "Should Kayne West be silenced." Define silence........
Posted by Broken 6 years ago
Broken
No, I was at Spanish River for the All-Novice (I'm a freshman), Suncoast is in the Florida Panther division so we only compete with you guys for states/nationals. It was quite a day, the cop was rooting for me, random much? I had several judges walk up to me and say that my speeches were amazing. I want to see my ballots on Monday. My 4th round judge walked up to me and said "I'm not supposed to tell you this, but it's obvious that you ranked 1st in the round. Also, don't worry about what I wrote on the ballot, I had to put something other than good job." Anyways, I can't wait for January where I get to compete varsity and watch my the seniors at my school make me look like a nub!
Posted by beastboy838 6 years ago
beastboy838
good job were you at timber creek for cfls
Posted by Broken 6 years ago
Broken
Beastboy, thank you for seeing my point, but whatever. I've gotten over it. I got 1st place at my debate tournament in Extemporaneous Speaking last night so I'm happy.
Posted by beastboy838 6 years ago
beastboy838
I think broken has a point on how I made a critical mistake I mean you don't go into a real debate affirming your opponents case my fault
Posted by oceanix 6 years ago
oceanix
I didn't say PRO lost. Flat-out PRO had better arguments.
Posted by Broken 6 years ago
Broken
Well I guess this is how it goes when you have random people voting. Apparently conduct is worth 29 more points than winning the debate is. Whether I wanted a "lazy win" or not does not matter. You can't say "Pro lost but Con wanted and easy win so he took the debate" and give Pro the win. Whether I knew he mistakenly took Pro or not is not relevant, and I can read minds so unless I was there when he made the debate I had no way of telling. Whatever, I just assume people are smart, my mistake. Good bye & have a good day.
Posted by wjmelements 6 years ago
wjmelements
That loses him the conduct point.
Posted by oceanix 6 years ago
oceanix
mongeese, CON wasn't at all under the impression that he was 'supposed' to be CON. He knew that PRO intended him to be PRO, and he debated CON anyway.
Vote Placed by Alexby1 6 years ago
Alexby1
beastboy838BrokenTied
Vote Placed by Vi_Veri 6 years ago
Vi_Veri
beastboy838BrokenTied
Vote Placed by beastboy838 6 years ago
beastboy838
beastboy838BrokenTied
Vote Placed by oceanix 6 years ago
oceanix
beastboy838BrokenTied
Vote Placed by wjmelements 6 years ago
wjmelements
beastboy838BrokenTied
Vote Placed by dasamster 6 years ago
dasamster
beastboy838BrokenTied
Vote Placed by LenseJockey 6 years ago
LenseJockey
beastboy838BrokenTied