Jayne
Dann

Metal music is better than classical music

Started: 4/29/2013 Category: Arts

Jayne

Pro

The topic of this debate is
"Metal music is better than classical music."

I would like to start off with some definitions for clarification.

"Metal music" will be defined, in this discussion, exclusively as Japanese metal (because it's the type I listen to :P). This includes the music produced by visual kei bands such as Versailles, Matenrou Opera, D'espairsray, Exist Trace, as well as the music produced by other metal bands such as Blood Stain Child. "Classical music" will be defined as music from the following four periods: Baroque, Classical, Romantic, and Contemporary (which is defined as compositions by composers still living after 1950, with the exception of Bartok who passed away 1945).

If an opponent accepts this challenge, then he/she will be presenting arguments to show why classical music is better than metal music. He/she may start off the debate in this round, or he/she will simply accept the challenge and I will begin in round 2. The opponent may also include his/her own definitions or add on to mine, but may not make changes that completely reverse the definitions that I have put in place.
Dann

Con

Ill accept. This should be a cakewalk.

I love all music, but boy! Saying metal is BETTER than classical? Phew! Glad I'm not Pro.

Let me add the definition of better, see if my opponent will agree.

Better; technically superior, objectively superior in expression, technique, musical understanding, complexity, structure, organisation, atmosphere.
Jayne

Pro

Jayne forfeited this round.
Jayne

Pro

Jayne forfeited this round.
Dann

Con

Default win for me?
Jayne

Pro

Jayne forfeited this round.
Dann

Con

Classical music is better because it is purer. Metal is a hybrid genre of other styles, but classical music practically birthed all other music.

In classical music more attention was placed upon the actual music itself. It was the notes themselves that told the story, as contrasted with metal and any other popular genre where the story is laid out in lyric. Take Wagners Ride of the Valkyries as an example. You can perceive the struggle for triumphalism through the music alone. You can see that the music is expressing a persistent effort that is defeated in some measures only to rise again and again until the final victorious crescendo. You can feel quite clearly the emotions and dynamics that are being played out through the music, more clearly than in any other style. It engages the listener and ignites and invites the imagination. It is more interactive in that, rather than having your own emotions and feelings expressed to yourself in words, as in metal, you have to follow the abstract storyline that classical music offers and piece it together in your own head. It helps you build concepts in your head and the effort is all yours, stimulated by classical music. It is the difference between hearing and listening.

Metal is also limited somewhat. By its nature, it has put itself in its own box whereas classical music can be anything from sinister to whimsical, dark and serious to light and playful, adult like or childlike. It can be divine and invoke gods and devils, it is more powerful and uplifting, and more tender and gentle than metal can probably ever be. The spectrum contrast between classical and metal is a no contest. The metal spectrum fits easily inside the classical spectrum which is as limitless as music itself.

Not to mention that a lot of metal musicians borrow heavily from classical styles. Surely a nod to the overarching, inexhaustive source of musical ideas that spring from the classical fountain.

Vote me!
Posted by StevenDixon 3 years ago
StevenDixon
Good luck to pro lol...

There is metal music that keeps up such as Between the buried and me or The Faceless, if you were to use them you could make several arguments for it being better than classical but...you listed music that's lacks the level of complexity and depth of classical music. Even arguments about emotion or story telling being illustrated through music can't be made...

Honestly Dann should easily run away with this.