JoeLomas
Russia_The_almighty

Metal music is better than most other genres e.g. Pop, Rap etc

Started: 5/4/2016 Category: Music

JoeLomas

Pro

I think that metal is the best genre of music \m/

Please challenge me ;)
Russia_The_almighty

Con

I accept and I await your argument.
JoeLomas

Pro

People view metal music as 'Just screaming' and as 'Just noise'. I would like to present counter arguments to that then conclude why I think metal is better.

First of all, screaming requires lots of cardiovascular training and respiratory training. Screaming requires people to have precise technique to complete properly (which many bands don't do I must admit). I cannot personally do it, but I know people that can and they have to practice and practice and even excercise.

Secondly, The instruments used in most metal music requires certain talent. As a drummer I have had to learn how to co-ordinate my limbs in certain technical orders, and also I had to learn how to create stronger and swift movements. Also, as a guitarist I have had to learn many techniques such as tremolo picking and sweep picking to play on par with many metal musicians.

I view other genres of music, mainly referring to popular music, rap and other closely related genres as inferior to this. I have some respect for certain musicians, but I feel like the production quality of the music has deteriorated. Popular music uses auto tune, simulated drums and various other simulated instruments. Even if they do use instruments, I view metal as superior in reference to talent.

I also believe the lyrics in most rap and pop music have somewhat negative messages, for example, some songs encourage drugs and sexual acts, some may give oppressive opinions on women and men and some are blatantly racist. You could say that 'Metal music portrays violence in their lyrics', however, these songs present it in a fictional manner. For example, they may detail a story or portrayal into the mind of mentally ill people.

I hope to receive a response!
Russia_The_almighty

Con

Good argument.
In fact you've already exceeded my initial expectations.

However let me give definitions since you have not.

metal music: http://www.urbandictionary.com...

better: of superior quality or excellence
http://www.dictionary.com...

most: the majority of

Here are my counter arguments.

You noted that the quality of other genres of music have deteriorated. While that I believe that to an extent, there's a problem with that argument.
That flaw is, that nowhere in the initial argument, or in the topic of this debate, does it say this is about modern music. The title only says "Metal music is better than most other genres" and not "Metal music is better than most other genres today."

You note that quite a bit of rap and pop music have negative messages. I say, there is NO way you will not find songs like that in any music genre. There will always be people who make songs with negative messages in them. Now I will note that there are quite a few good songs in the rap and pop genre. I don't usually listen to them, but I have heard a few good raps and pop songs.

As you said for metal music songs: "these songs present it in a fictional manner. For example, they may detail a story or portrayal into the mind of mentally ill people"
I have two problems with that argument.

1. The chances of that being true for all metal music songs is none because I have heard metal songs which do not present it in a fictional manner.

2. It doesn't matter if it is in a fictional tone or not, if it is being said, it already encourages people. If you made a story of a drug lord, even if in the end he gets what's coming to him, people already have the thought in their head. Some might think. "Hmm, I'll be a drug lord and do better than this guy!" Or "I'm worthless, I might as well do what this guy did." Or maybe even people won't take it as fictional, maybe they'll take it as encouragement.
Here's an example of a rap song that presents a story in a fictional manner.
https://www.youtube.com...
Fictional story, but that doesn't mean its doesn't present a bad message. (note: I do not listen to this rapper.)

In the beginning you note that you need 'talent' and 'training' to play Metal music. So? You need talent and training for pretty much every kind of music. Some people, no matter how much they practice simply are unable to play an instrument. Same with training. It doesn't matter if you have a talent in music or not, if you don't practice with screaming or playing drums, you probably won't be playing well.

Now here is my argument why other music is better.
First of all, many other people prefer other music.
http://www.hypebot.com...

Now obviously people will have different opinions, some people will like one genre over others, however this chart shows most people prefer other types of music.

I await your response.
JoeLomas

Pro

JoeLomas forfeited this round.
Russia_The_almighty

Con

Extend arguments.
JoeLomas

Pro

JoeLomas forfeited this round.
Russia_The_almighty

Con

Extend arguments.
JoeLomas

Pro

JoeLomas forfeited this round.
Russia_The_almighty

Con

Vote con.
Posted by LuckyGoHappy 1 year ago
LuckyGoHappy
Nightcore music conquers all.