Brainmaster
BangBang-Coconut

Metal takes more skill than Rap

BangBang-Coconut

Brainmaster

Pro

Resolution:

Heavy metal takes more skill to produce than rap.

R1 is for acceptance.

Thanks.
BangBang-Coconut

Con

Brainmaster

Pro

Thanks Con.

Definitions___

Rap music is defined as "words spoken over a beat."

Heavy metal is " a genre of rock music that developed in the late 1960s and early 1970s, largely in the United Kingdom and the United States. With roots in blues rock and psychedelic rock, the bands that created heavy metal developed a thick, massive sound, characterized by highly amplified distortion, extended guitar solos, emphatic beats, and overall loudness. Heavy metal lyrics and performance styles are generally associated with masculinity and machismo."

Arguments__

A1. Rap is words spoken over a beat. Metal, however, encompasses singing, growling and full vocal ranges.

A2. Rap encompasses two instruments- a singer and a drummer. Metal, however, generally takes a singer, a bass, a drummer and a guitarist, if not more.

Since I really can't think of much more, I will await refutations.
BangBang-Coconut

Con

-> Please do not watch the videos until instructed to do so <-

I thank my opponent for instigating this debate!
Far too often in our society, it seems we are far too prejudiced and predisposed to musical tastes; we allow no room for new sounds to enter our lives as we label them prior.

Rap suck, metal is too loud, country is for hicks, techno is annoying.

However all of these decisions and judgements based a genre are fallacious and detrimental to music as a whole, they are detrimental to art.

I therefore negate, that "Metal takes more skill than Rap"

Obs1: Both Metal and Rap are different forms of the same art, as such they must be judged for what they are and held to a criteria of their genre.

Obs2: In order for my opponent to prove that Metal takes more skill than rap, they must prove all metal songs are better than all rap songs. Meaning if I can show even one rap song better than even one Metal song I win the round.

Obs3: I do not have to prove that Rap takes more skill than metal, I only have to prove that Metal does not take more skill that Rap.

1. Some metal simple sucks.
Please watch the first video.
(Please note I do not condone this video, I realize it's awful; I use them to prove that point, metal can be awful.)

While I don't deny there are plenty of beautiful metal songs, there are equally as many that are either asanine, meaningless, or nothing but screaming. with nil musical talent.
This genre of music makes one want to bludgeon their eardrums to death so that can have a moment of silence. In no way does simply having the word "Metal" attached to your music make it any better or any worse.

My older brother has been obsessed with this genre for a long time, at one point (many years ago) I was writing his lyrics; I wrote ridiculous verses of magic tacos, and mutant rabbits because as a twelve year old thought that was the coolest thing ever.

It wasn't.
Multiple guitarists, and lots of screaming doesn't make music good; ingenuity, and creativity makes music good.

1. Some rap songs are simply lovely.
Please watch the second video.
First off, simply by being considered rap we know that thought has gone into the lyrics to make them rhyme.
Second, while I do not deny many rap songs are pointless and awful many are meaningful and beautiful.
Finally, "Rap" does not mean singing isn't involved; it means that a good majority of the song is poetry spoken to a melody (Which in and of itself takes more skill than screaming like a skinned pig)

Ultimately I leave you with this, Music is a form of art. No variation of this art is better than the other, and if the musician doesn't have skill, or anything to say; it doesn't matter the genre it will be bad. However on the other hand, if the musician has skill and something to say, or even if they only have one; their music will be good, and it will touch people.

=Conclusion=
Vote Con if you've ever heard a metal song that sounded bad, and a rap song that sounded good!
Brainmaster

Pro

There is one major problem with your argument. Specifically, I like the first song better and the second was horrible.
BangBang-Coconut

Con

My opponent has disregarded my arguments completely, and furthermore was rather rude about it.
Arguments are extended, please vote Con!
Posted by feverish 5 years ago
feverish
@BlackVoid: like this: http://www.debate.org...
Posted by BangBang-Coconut 5 years ago
BangBang-Coconut
You'll see~
Posted by BlackVoid 5 years ago
BlackVoid
How is con supposed to win this? Symphonic metal in particular is extremely complex.
Vote Placed by Cobo 5 years ago
Cobo
BrainmasterBangBang-CoconutTied
Reasons for voting decision: Eminem FTW.
Vote Placed by Cliff.Stamp 5 years ago
Cliff.Stamp
BrainmasterBangBang-CoconutTied
Reasons for voting decision: Round three was essentially a forfeit from Con.
Vote Placed by Brian314 5 years ago
Brian314
BrainmasterBangBang-CoconutTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro gave no substantial refutations to Con's arguments. Clear win for Con.
Vote Placed by Doritosguy93 5 years ago
Doritosguy93
BrainmasterBangBang-CoconutTied
Reasons for voting decision: In round 3, con did not give any substantial refutations.